Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How to get my rabbit to not be so agressive

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Royce&Abby
      Participant
      17 posts Send Private Message

I have recently bonded a Netherland Dwarf (Abby, Female) that I adopted from the SPCA with my Holland Lop (Royce, Male) that I’ve had for a few years.  They get along great.  Royce LOVES to be pet.  Abby won’t let us touch her.  When we try to pet her, she grunts, stomps and runs away.  Last week she started squeeling like a little piglet when we attempted to pet her.  Usually when we try to pet her, we try to pet her twice and if she’s still resisting we leave the room. 

I thought that she may need some more time to get used to us.  I’m not sure how she was treated before coming to the shelter so maybe it’s a trust issue.  We decided to stop trying to pet her.  We give them both treats at the same time and she’ll take it from our hands.  This situation hasn’t really been a major cause for concern until this past weekend.  I was petting Royce and he was purring.  Abby came over and bit my finger really hard and I started bleeding.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to gain Abby’s trust, or if that is even the issue.  I don’t want her to become an agressive bun. 

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

First good on you for adopting!

I think the first thing to change is this-

Usually when we try to pet her, we try to pet her twice and if she’s still resisting we leave the room

Basically in all animals (humans and even single celled organisms) –> “Action+reward=action will be continued”. If she’s shy she likely views you leaving the room as a reward. So she resists twice and you leave-so she’s now learned all she needs to do is resist and you’ll go away-then she can be with her man in peace.

I’m definitely not suggesting force petting her or anything like that. She’ll need patience and time -but instead of trying to pet her and then going away try a different setup.

When she comes up for a treat, sneak a quick pet in, then give her a few treats and leave her alone. Over time you can increase how much petting or interaction and she’ll slowly learn that petting from you=treats=a good thing.

One of my bunnies learned from her bonded mate to beg. She may be able to do this too. i.e. pet your male and give him treats-and let her see this.

• bunnytowne
          Participant
          7537 posts Send Private Message

Could that have been jealousy when she bit you?  I would take the prev post advice in working with her.  Sounds like good advice.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

Is this squealing thing new? Usually squealing means some sort of pain or intense fear. Pain can also make a bunny more aggressive. How long have you had her?  If you think it is ONLY an emotional response and not due to some physical issue then of course it will take time and KK’s tips should help.  Did the SPCA say this was one of her responses – the squealing?  If not, I would let them know, and just have them take a look at her to make sure that it’s nothing physical.

Also, just spend time each day hanging out with her on the floor – but don’t reach for her. Just bring something to read.   Wear gloves if you think she may bite your hand and don’t react to her aggression. She will find it’s pointless.  Some find success with gently pushing a bunny’s head down to show dominance.  Other people will squeal themselves to communicate it hurts but in this case, it may not work if she was doing it out of dominance or jealousy.

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant
              4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi!  You’ve gotten some great input, but I also wanted to offer some links to a few articles on aggressive rabbits:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-9/rebel-with-paws.html

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/aggression.html

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How to get my rabbit to not be so agressive