Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE how to gain bunny weight?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

baby has lost a wee too much weight now.  I had to adjust her diet to make it healthy last nov and she was also a tad plump.  when i took pinky in for a check the vet said a bun is just right id their tummy indents slightly behind their ribs but you cannot feel their spine.  i can def feel baby’s spine so i think she could stand to eat slightly more than i’m giving her.

her diet: 1/4 cup pellets, 2 cups packed tight greens, unlimited water & hay daily.  no treats.

should i start giving her measured daily treats or increase her pellets?  i gave her a piece of carrot yesterday about half the size of my pointer finger & she dropped a clump of cecal droppings in the hall today.

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

hmm – well I would ask what your vet recommends.

The thing we often do is sprinkle a small amount of critical care on veggies, some bunnies will even eat it mixed in a bowl. Or slightly increase the pellets or add a small amount of oat groats to the pellets. Some vets have you add a small amount of alfalfa hay for weight gain. It sounds like adding treats isn’t a good idea since she over produced cecals from it.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

I think I would start with the pellets and fresh alfalfa and not the treats. I don’t think she needs the extra sugar. Maybe just increase the pellets by a half of 1/4 cup to start with.

• Deleted User
            Participant
            22064 posts Send Private Message

Definitely more food …. one way or the other.

Dawn xx

• babybunsmum
              Participant
              3896 posts Send Private Message

thanks for input!    i think i’ll try a month of a rounded 1/4 cup measure of pellets instead of a flat one & see how that goes.  i don’t want her to get too thin.  hopefully i can find an amount where she maintains a good weight at.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE how to gain bunny weight?