Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE How people see rabbits as pets

Viewing 63 reply threads
  • Author
    • LoveChaCha
      Participant
      6634 posts Send Private Message

Do you feel that the public is more.. accepting to rabbits? I know… rabbits have a long way to go still and are still very misunderstood.

I talk to a lot of pet owners at my job (I probably check out a lot of people during a long shift) about my rabbit and most expressions that I get are:  ….

“I didn’t know you could litter train a rabbit!”
        “My rabbit was evil.” (the rabbit was not fixed, btw)
        “Rabbits are so soft…”
        “REALLY?” When I tell them I’m growing veggies for my rabbit
        “A rabbit that doesn’t eat carrots..” (Chacha hates carrots…)
        “Don’t they chew cords all the time?”
        “Don’t rabbits just live in hutches?” (I replied: ”not anymore.”)

My friend posted a picture of a ‘Dummies’ series book on Farmville and I commented that the dummies series on rabbits educated me before getting a house rabbit. One of her rude friends (that I want to chew and spit out) “What is there to learn about rabbits? They are soft, love to eat carrots and love having lots of sex.” I replied “Uh oh, actually rabbits are a lot more than that.” I went on to elaborate that I found his attitude rude and I blocked him.

Seriously, when I get dumb replies like that, it is so disrespectful. What if I made fun of something a person is passionate about? I bet that would make them fly off the handle too

• LizzyBunny
        Participant
        242 posts Send Private Message

I agree with you! Being a young bunny-parent, people my age are constantly saying “I want a bunny. they’re so cute and little!!!” Then I proceed to tell them how Thumper has chewed all the baseboards in my house -.- They sure don’t stay cute and little for long..

Either that or I get.. “Ew aren’t rabbits rodents? Gross!” Oh yeah, thanks for insulting my pet.. It’s not like I’m going to go call your dog ugly or anything.

• Tate
          Participant
          734 posts Send Private Message

“Oh, you have to take them to the vet? Really?” Drives me crazy. They are not magical self healing creatures. It’s totally equivelent to people that think goldfish only grow to the size of their tank. MAGIC. 

• Huckleberry
            Participant
            972 posts Send Private Message

I usually get…
              “i had a rabbit but it died” :”(
              “mmm that’s dinner round my house” “%*&#? Hillbillies!!!!
              “oh really? Wow that’s awesome” which I then talk their ear off and allienate them lol
              or “im terrified of rabbits” which I will never understand

I love showing people videos and pictures of her. They all tell me I spoil her.

• Tate
              Participant

Posted By Huckleberry on 05/27/2011 10:27 PM
                I usually get…

All. The. Time.

• Malp_15
                Participant
                601 posts Send Private Message

I got one today and I was very, probably unreasonably, angry! My friends brother works at a pet store and I was in there today and they had just gotten a 3 year old neutered holland lop surrendered and I was telling him how I was totally in love with him. Once Tait is neutered and has calmed down I want to get him a friend, not for quite a while, but I was telling him this. And he was like rabbits can’t be housed together!! They will kill each other, I have seen it happen!

😐

I was like are you kidding me! They can totally, 100%, be bonded if you do it properly!! and we got into a huge argument about it. I was like obviously if you just throw 2 un-fixed rabbits together in a cage, it’s not going to work. but get a brain! ughh

I ended up just walking away cuz I wanted to strangle him because he was being so pompous I work in a pet store I know everything. When I thought about it after I guess it is good because they are telling the people that don’t do their research about rabbits to not get two, but still. This was also coming from the guy who reccomends bowls for goldfish, cups for bettas, and that goldfish (coldwater) and tropical fish can live just fine together.

• LoveChaCha
                  Participant

I had fish as a child. A lot of fish. My dad always bought a very long sized aquarium, with all of the supplies needed! We even kept goldfish in the big tank!

• Sam and Lady's Human
                    Participant
                    2001 posts Send Private Message

Do you weight it or shove it in a measuring cup or something?

• Sonn
                      Participant
                      1810 posts Send Private Message

Living in my town 99% of people have rabbits for eating. So I get super strange looks when I say I have a pet rabbit let alone a HOUSE rabbit.

I actually had someone call AC on my because they claimed my house couldn’t be sanitary with a rabbit living in the house. They came out and were just as shocked as everyone else that my rabbit was friendly litter box trained and *gasp* neutered!

When people try to pick my rabbits up by their ears it infuriates me especially when I try to explain why I do not like that and why it is dangerous they give me the “It’s just a rabbit” comment. To which they are asked kindly to leave my house.

I went to a feed store once to see if they could order rabbit food and the guy told me just to feed it scraps!!!

Then when in public people will rush up and I will tell them not to touch them fast because they might bite or scratch if you scare them. When they don’t listen and one of them bites they are just shocked! (This is why we only go to one park that rarely has people these days).

But lately I have gotten actual curious people who seem to genuinely be interested in all aspect of a house rabbit.

I won’t go into the fish thing because non fish people are almost the same lol. I had a lot lot of fish before the soap incident and I got the strangest comments ever. Just one was I had a huge redtail catfish he was about 2ft at the time and a repair man came in and asked if he could pet him…. He figured since he was so big that he would like to be pet.

But in any situation I try to remain calm and explain things calmly. It doesn’t always work some just don’t listen and I end up walking away seeing red.

• LoveChaCha
                        Participant

..Animal Control…? WHAT? O___O

• Kate Monster
                          Participant
                          550 posts Send Private Message

Sonn, that is insane! And I thought I was surrounded by crazy people.
                            My dad is the worst. One of his dogs had a penchant for catching wild bunnies in the backyard in her younger days, NOT a pleasant memory for me. And he will constantly say things like the dog says, ‘yummy’ about my bunnies. Plus the endless rabbit stew jokes. I tried lots of light hearted ways of saying ‘hey, I don’t think that’s funny’ before I finally just flew off the handle. I think he was a bit surprised, I’m not particularly known for losing my temper, but when I do, hooo boy. Of course then when I refuse to let his dogs come in my apartment he pouts. After repeatedly reminding me that one is a proven bunny killer, then to be surprised that they can’t come in? Sheesh. After seeing him for the first time since I yelled at him, he asked what my boyfriend and I do and we joked, ‘oh, mostly watch bunnies be silly.’ And his response was, ‘oh, you must be fond of watching grass grow too.’ I guess saying that they’re boring is an improvement. Sigh. At least I’ve convinced him that he isn’t allowed to use any cruel or lethal methods to keep rabbits out of his garden. I suppose forcing my 65 year old father who will never have a pet rabbit to really appreciate and value them as pets is less important than his not sitting outside and shooting rabbits in his yard.
                            For some reason all of my Turkish girl friends absolutely loooooooove my bunnies. Every time I see any of them the first thing they all ask me is how my bunnies are and they’re so cute! I have no idea why, lol, but I appreciate that there is at least one group of friends who never has and never will say mean or dumb things.

• LittlePuffyTail
                            18092 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know many rabbit owners in my area, unfortunately, but as far as I can tell most people here still think of rabbits as farm animals or if they are bought from the pet store they are allowed in the house but put in a tiny cage with wood shavings, nothing to relieve boredom and fed pet store crap. Not much education about rabbits here at all. It would really help educate people if we had a rabbit rescue. I feel too many people see them as “disposable”. If they get sick, just go buy another for $10.00. It bothers me that they are still viewed by many as a “starter or child’s pet” and “low maintenance”. These people have not met my bunnies!

I get a lot of questions about rabbits as pets when I’m at the vet in the waiting room with Bindi. A lot of people are curious to see a bunny there and want to come pat him. I get a lot of “does he bite?” and people are surprised at how they can be litter trained. “Why would you get a rabbit fixed?” is another common one.

One lady couldn’t believe what a huge bunny Bindi is and he’s only 5 lbs! She wanted me to take him out of his carrier so she could see him better. She was really shocked when I said “this is not big for a rabbit at all, there are breeds that can reach 20lbs!”.

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Malp_15 on 05/27/2011 10:52 PM
                                I got one today and I was very, probably unreasonably, angry! My friends brother works at a pet store and I was in there today and they had just gotten a 3 year old neutered holland lop surrendered and I was telling him how I was totally in love with him. Once Tait is neutered and has calmed down I want to get him a friend, not for quite a while, but I was telling him this. And he was like rabbits can’t be housed together!! They will kill each other, I have seen it happen!

😐

I was like are you kidding me! They can totally, 100%, be bonded if you do it properly!! and we got into a huge argument about it. I was like obviously if you just throw 2 un-fixed rabbits together in a cage, it’s not going to work. but get a brain! ughh

I ended up just walking away cuz I wanted to strangle him because he was being so pompous I work in a pet store I know everything. When I thought about it after I guess it is good because they are telling the people that don’t do their research about rabbits to not get two, but still. This was also coming from the guy who reccomends bowls for goldfish, cups for bettas, and that goldfish (coldwater) and tropical fish can live just fine together.

Honestly, I think I would RATHER this guy tell people they can’t be housed together!  It is better (in my mind) than him saying, “Oh sure, get two.  Hell, get three!”  And then you end up with badly injured rabbits or a hundred babies in a year… Pet stores so often almost DEMAND that people get two rabbits at the same time.  Because they are “both the same sex” (50/50 chance of that happening) and “baby bunnies who grow up together never fight” (almost 100% false).  But what do they care… they sell double the food and supplies, and in a few months, the people have to come back and buy a second cage.

This guy could say, “You can get two and they can live together after they are both neuter/spayed and slowly bonded together.”

People only hear what they want to, so all they will hear is, “You can get two and they can live together blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah…”

Let people get one, do their own research, and then decide what is best for them and their bunny.

• Sarita
                                Participant
                                18851 posts Send Private Message

You know, I actually get more and more people who say they have had rabbits or have rabbits and love them. And those that are genuinely interested in rabbits as pets. Could just be big city living although I’m not too far from some rural areas and as would be expected, I’m sure they think differently. I doubt they will ever be more popular than dogs or cats but they are gaining in popularity.

What I’m more surprised at though is guinea pigs as pets…tons of people love them and even older people and their cages are far more difficult to clean out than rabbit litter boxes.

• LBJ10
                                  16870 posts Send Private Message

My goldfish would come to the top to be petted…

• Sonn
                                    Participant
                                    1810 posts Send Private Message

Should have been more specific. My Oscar would come to the top of the tank and run against my fingers if I stuck them in the tank. But I had a sign that said not to put your hand near the top of the tank because he would bite. He (the redtail) thought/thinks anything in the water is food.

• LBJ10
                                      16870 posts Send Private Message

Sonn – Haha! I know what you mean about Oscars wanting to chomp your fingers. My goldfish would come up to the top though and wait for you to rub his back with your finger. Maybe he had an itch all the time or something. =p

As far as my bunnies go, I do talk about them a lot because I can’t stand awkward silence at work. If no one is talking about anything, then I start bringing up the rabbits. Most people just smile and nod, most likely thinking I’m a weirdo. They don’t really look all that shocked about their living arrangement though, although sometimes they laugh when they hear they have a baby gate. I am known for having a lot of “weird” pets though so maybe they are just used to it. When we had our chinchillas, they were all I talked about too.

• Joyfull_music
                                        Participant
                                        506 posts Send Private Message

I get a lot of that too, about litter training and how smart they really are. I also have a lot of people ask me if I would ever eat rabbit now that I own one. I politely say that I am not really interested in rabbit, but I accept the fact that in some places, it is a delicacy. Sad but true I know. But if anyone ever flat out disrespect one of my pets, that is crossing the line with both me and my husband.

I did have one guy give me crap about taking a snake to the vet. I just told him that my snake cost a fraction of what his dog does, and lives 3 times as long. I have also had people ask me about taking Momo to the vet and getting her fixed. They just didn’t see the point, but what can I say, I try to educate the masses.

• LoveChaCha
                                          Participant

Ya know, one of these days when I have children.. I will be pro at baby proofing..

• Monkeybun
                                            Participant
                                            10479 posts Send Private Message

I had one person offer to BBQ my bunny when I first got Monkey. I asked him when we’d be over at his place for dinner, as I heard dog was a delicacy in some countries, and his dog looked nice and plump.

He has never bothered me again.

• LoveChaCha
                                              Participant

Posted By Monkeybun on 05/28/2011 08:29 PM
                                                I had one person offer to BBQ my bunny when I first got Monkey. I asked him when we’d be over at his place for dinner, as I heard dog was a delicacy in some countries, and his dog looked nice and plump.

He has never bothered me again.

• TaraMichele
                                                Participant
                                                285 posts Send Private Message

I was actually surprised at the response I got when I decided to become a rabbit mommy! some people didnt understand how amazing of pet they could be, and Ive definitely changed a lot of peoples perspective including many of my friends. my cousins daughter in law even made a comment that made my week by saying ” wow its cool the rabbit is litter trained but the dog isnt!” also my mom has gotten into the habit of asking how her grand-children are! then theres my father who is the biggest animal lover but finds a need to make the rabbit stew jokes even though about 2 years ago he rescued and nursed a wild baby rabbit…. I guess im fairly lucky !

• MirBear
                                                  Participant
                                                  1412 posts Send Private Message

My science teacher last year failed me on my static electricity project because i refused to touch the rabbit pelts he brought in to charge the rods.. when i explained to him i wouldnt touch them because it absolutly disgusted me (the pelts were obviously domestic rabbits, i’m sorry but wild rabbits dont come in white, grey, multi-coloured, and sable!) and he knew i had two rabbits of my own (i’d shown everyone pictures by that time) he tried to make me use a pelt the same colour as my bunnies!! The class thought it was a great joke.. I wanted to slap the teacher..

• lashkay
                                                    Participant
                                                    1548 posts Send Private Message

Once, while taking my bunny out for a walk on leash and harness, in the Marina, and feeling wonderful, a lady said as she passed us, “That would make a good stew.” I replied right back, “You’d make a good stew yourself.” I couldn’t stop myself from saying it.

• Beka27
                                                      Participant
                                                      16016 posts Send Private Message

Posted By LoveChaCha on 05/28/2011 08:28 PM
                                                        Ya know, one of these days when I have children.. I will be pro at baby proofing..

Lol… put the baby in the xpen while ChaCha runs around the room!  

• MarkBun
                                                        Participant
                                                        2842 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits have some very strong rodent characteristics about them.  To many, just like squirrels, rabbits just seem like really big rats.  Sure they have cute ears and are softer, but anyone who has witnessed a rabbit grunt/charge someone, coupled with the ‘really cute’ pictures of them showing that they have incisors that could pierce straight through your hand, tends to heighten that fear of rodents.

• LoveChaCha
                                                          Participant

Posted By Beka27 on 05/29/2011 06:45 AM

Posted By LoveChaCha on 05/28/2011 08:28 PM

Lol… put the baby in the xpen while ChaCha runs around the room!  

Yep, exactly

• Monkeybun
                                                            Participant
                                                            10479 posts Send Private Message

Posted By MarkBun on 05/29/2011 12:38 PM

Rabbits have some very strong rodent characteristics about them.  To many, just like squirrels, rabbits just seem like really big rats.  Sure they have cute ears and are softer, but anyone who has witnessed a rabbit grunt/charge someone, coupled with the ‘really cute’ pictures of them showing that they have incisors that could pierce straight through your hand, tends to heighten that fear of rodents.

Yes.. Monkey is oh, so scary when she charges at people… all 1.5 lbs of scariness.

• MissPinUp
                                                              Participant
                                                              151 posts Send Private Message

I unfortunately didn’t read all the responses, I will later, I’m taking a brief moment form packing for moving *rolls eyes*

But Lucy hates carrots too. I got her a dried coconut and carrot shaving mix as treats, and that little brat will pick the carrots out! I got so excited because when I gave them to her at first, she picked a carrot piece up, and I was all HOLY CRAP SHE’S EATING A CARROT then she spat it out in a corner. Grrr! But she does love bananas, salad, and Brussels sprouts. Weirdo.

• Joyfull_music
                                                                Participant

My brother in law is scared of rabbits or so he says. That was until Momo for what ever reason was drawn to him one night when he was hanging out with us. He was laying on the couch and she jumped up and started giving him her “butterfly tickles”. Turns out he is really ticklish and she had a blast sneak attacking him.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  2517 posts Send Private Message

The $%^%$& rabbit stew jokes all the time. It doesn’t get me mad, but it just makes me think some people are a waste of life and time being so damned immature about stuff.

My dad still says it. After having Frankie nearly 5 years in this house. *sigh and eye roll*

Also, I have met a handful of people who are scared of rabbits too. I’ve been attacked by one (and have a chunk of my arm missing from it) and still love them =x

• Elrohwen
                                                                    Participant
                                                                    7318 posts Send Private Message

People I work with tend to be surprised at the rabbit thing, but they don’t usually make fun. The only one I get is “Wait, you have a girl and a boy? You’re going to have 100 soon!” Then I just mention that they’re fixed and the people feel dumb (though I don’t intend to make them feel dumb, I just want to explain that I’m more responsible than to house a male and female together otherwise). Once they see pictures most people think they’re cool and seem impressed that rabbits don’t just have to live in cages. I live in the northeast though, and people here are generally good to their pets, so they seem happy to learn about another great kind of pet.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                      Participant
                                                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

I see misconceptions in all animals all the time (because…if you want to talk to Lesley you better have an animal story or she’s just going to grunt and keep working). It’s sad what some people think. Crud like ‘he knows he’s doing something bad but he keeps doing it’ I don’t care if it’s your dog or your bunny they do not have the capacity to defy you purposely (well that is the current thought in animal behaviorism today). Anthropomorphising, though cute on lolcats, makes me angry as people expect more out of their dog or fish or hamster then their five year old child.
                                                                        It drives me crazy

But rabbits, are the red headed stepchild (just a pop cuture joking reference DO not take that seriously! ) of pets. People have the worst misconceptions about care, and ability.

I’m with Beka though. I would rather someone think they are a terrible pet and not get one, when I know they won’t put the time, effort and wallet where it needs to be.

My doctor, noticing a scar on my chest asked what it was from. A rabbit. He then mentioned his sister wanted a rabbit bad. I gave him my phone number and told him to tell her to call me and come visit mine. I think quite often people who are all ‘I want a rabbit’ really want a perfect cuddly pet, with no mess, no work and no cost. My rabbits cost more and take more time then my dog who is extremely special needs in the behavior/emotional department. I think that says a lot.

I further pose …it takes a special breed of person to recognize and appreciate all that rabbits are about. Many would think the rabbit does nothing, is stupid and smelly. And they would be right if they aren’t caring for their rabbit properly, not getting it fixed and not cleaning it’s area and letting it out for play time-to learn and be himself.

So truly I never encourage people to get rabbits. But when I hear someone has, I’m on them like flies on poo, offering my help and the BB website. I’m proud to say I don’t know anyone who owns a rabbit who doesn’t come here-at least to lurk

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                        Moderator

MirBear- What a sick teacher!! You should have put some laxative in his coffee.

• LoveChaCha
                                                                          Participant

When I see parents with young children buying cat or dog food, I take a moment to talk about my rabbit with them. Sometimes their children will say they love rabbits and I will nicely talk about how rabbits are demanding and take a lot of work. The parents are totally shocked about it.

• MissBunns
                                                                            Participant
                                                                            62 posts Send Private Message

“im terrified of rabbits” which I will never understand

Hahaha, my brother is terrified of my rabbits. He will pet them if I’m holding them (maybe) and he will pet them through the cage, but if he is sitting on the ground and Jack or (especially) Bunny comes over he freaks out and shrieks and everything. The rabbits just look like they have no idea what they did. He’s getting better though..after three years now. And he could just be afraid because Bunny was nasty when we got her, she ripped his hand to pieces when he tried to pet her one day.

But I’m so sick of people who make rabbit stew jokes, as many of you mentioned, and my dad’s family makes them all the time. Then a friend came over one day and he started talking about how Jack is a good meat rabbit, blah blah blah. Don’t talk about it in front of them!!! You may not think they understand, but I know they do.

And my biggest peeve are people who think of them as cheap, disposable pets. They are cheap, you can get them for under $10 on craigslist, but that doesn’t mean you can neglect the one you have because you can just go get another one. And then stupid people who breed. My friends sister has a (neglected) rabbit I asked to see one day, he’s three, blind in one eye, and weird (cute, but weird) looking and she’s spraying him with the hose and talking to me about wanting to breed him! UGHHHHH.

I should just stop now xD Ignorance regarding rabbits really upsets me.

• ILoveMyBabyJet
                                                                              Participant
                                                                              8 posts Send Private Message

Posted By BunnyAndJack on 06/04/2011 03:19 PM

“im terrified of rabbits” which I will never understand

Hahaha, my brother is terrified of my rabbits. He will pet them if I’m holding them (maybe) and he will pet them through the cage, but if he is sitting on the ground and Jack or (especially) Bunny comes over he freaks out and shrieks and everything. The rabbits just look like they have no idea what they did. He’s getting better though..after three years now. And he could just be afraid because Bunny was nasty when we got her, she ripped his hand to pieces when he tried to pet her one day.

But I’m so sick of people who make rabbit stew jokes, as many of you mentioned, and my dad’s family makes them all the time. Then a friend came over one day and he started talking about how Jack is a good meat rabbit, blah blah blah. Don’t talk about it in front of them!!! You may not think they understand, but I know they do.

And my biggest peeve are people who think of them as cheap, disposable pets. They are cheap, you can get them for under $10 on craigslist, but that doesn’t mean you can neglect the one you have because you can just go get another one. And then stupid people who breed. My friends sister has a (neglected) rabbit I asked to see one day, he’s three, blind in one eye, and weird (cute, but weird) looking and she’s spraying him with the hose and talking to me about wanting to breed him! UGHHHHH.

I should just stop now xD Ignorance regarding rabbits really upsets me.

I so agree! I found my wonderful Jet on craigslist, but does that mean I’d neglect him?! No! of course not! I love him with all my heart. And, LOL, god forbid anyone says they are getting/ have a rabbit. I’m on them like white on rice. Telling them what they should be fed, etc. Lotsa times people change their mind about bunnies when I explain the care. But that’s okay, I’d rather them not get one if they wouldn’t wanna put that kind of work in. Oh, and another thing that irks me is “Easter Bunnies” ugh breeders think its okay to just hand em off for twenty bucks no info needed. One of my Bunnies, Reggie, was one I actually got from someone because they bought it for their 5 year old as an Easter present. One time at walmart I saw someone with the easter bunnies and he picked em up by the ears! I made my mom stop and I told him off haha.

• Brittany-and-Freddie
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                26 posts Send Private Message

Bunnies are definitely misunderstood pets!

I have had them since I was 4 and I am now 21 so that is 17 years of hearing: “Oh that would make a nice rabbit stew”!

I swear I have heard it about a hundred times and from many different people, usually older men.

I think it is funny how when I tell people my rabbit is litter box trained they find it incredible.

My pet peeve is seeing the things at petstore sold to rabbit owners. Cages suited for a hamster made for rabbits, “treats” that are made with pure sugar than can kill rabbits, food with seeds or corn in it and much more! It is sad.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                                  Participant

Now this is just MHO -feel free to ignore. I think people (who are close to us) who make those kinds of comments are just
                                                                                    1) trying to get a rise
                                                                                    2) trying to relate (in their stupid don’t have a clue type way)

So a few ways I have handled the rabbit stew jokes, depends on who’s making the comments. But if you are a veggie you could jokingly bring up the latest horror movie featuring a murderer keeping cut up people in their fridge and question the difference of that vs. beef….
                                                                                    You can also laugh it off, like water off a duck’s back and make a silly threatening comment about them trying to munch on your bunny and your bunny instead munching on them…I think you have to look at their motivations and realize they may be joking or they may be trying to make you upset. If they are trying to joke, they are likely just trying to make you laugh and relate to you. So joke back and ignore it. If they are trying to upset, no matter how upset you are, play nice and make them look like a jerk (perhaps by pretending their special car was damaged lol) and get them twisted instead of you being upset. Realize their motivations and either let it go, or turn it around and let it go XD

• BinkyBunny
                                                                                    Moderator
                                                                                    8776 posts Send Private Message

I am always amazed that when talking to strangers — how many of them have zero idea. I mean, I do understand in some ways — not everyone focuses on rabbits, I get that, but I guess somehow I thought that just the basics of what having a rabbit is all about would at least start to catch up to cats and dogs. I mean around here, there are a ton of rabbit rescues, rabbit-savvy vets, the newspapers and news channels all really do a good job around Easter educating people properly and yet….I find more often than not, people are completely ignorant about rabbits.

Like others have mentioned, for whatever weird reason, people want to tell you about the horrible thing that happened their rabbit. Why? No one does that when you say you have a cat or dog, right? At least when I tell people we have a cat, I don’t get some horrible cat story. It has happened to me so much that now when someone starts to say…”oh, I had a rabbit once….”, I quickly interrupt them and say, “You’re not going to tell me a terrible story are you?”. They look at me sometimes like, “Oh, NO, how does she know!” and they get a guilt look on their face. I just let them know that it seems to be some human habit for people to want to share these kinds of memories, and I have heard too many sad rabbit stories.

For me, I mostly just come across people that are ignorant about it and I don’t let it get to me as much anymore. I just use it as an opportunity to share some information and educate. 

All, I know is…we still have a long way to go.

• Joyfull_music
                                                                                      Participant

I will be 100% honest, I have threatened to put Momo in a stew if she does not stop digging out her litter box and being a little terror. Not that I ever would… I just like to make outlandish threats. I also tell my dog he is going back to the pound when he is bad too.

• Tate
                                                                                        Participant

Posted By Joyfull_music on 06/05/2011 07:20 PM
                                                                                          I will be 100% honest, I have threatened to put Momo in a stew if she does not stop digging out her litter box and being a little terror. Not that I ever would… I just like to make outlandish threats. I also tell my dog he is going back to the pound when he is bad too.

Bahahahaha we (Boyfriend and I) have been threatening bunny stew OR snake food. I’ve been too ashamed to say it. Hahah

• LoveChaCha
                                                                                          Participant

Rabbits can get away with murder.. but I could never call them a naughty word..
                                                                                            Hahah you guys are funny XD

• LoveChaCha
                                                                                            Participant

BB, you have a great comeback with the… “You’re not going to tell me a terrible story are you?” I think I”ll borrow it

• Kate Monster
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                              550 posts Send Private Message

I like to tell Kate and Spence that they’re so cute that I’m going to…. nom nom nom nom nom nom. I’m pretty sure they think I’m nuts.

• Huckleberry
                                                                                                Participant

LOL you guys threaten your buns? I might have to try that!!! Goodness knows that a water bottle does no good.

• Elrohwen
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                  7318 posts Send Private Message

I threaten mine all the time! Well, usually Otto when he’s being a grouchy-pants. I tell him I’m going to send him back and find a nicer bunny. And sometimes DH tells Hannah he’s going to beat her up if she doesn’t stop harassing Otto. Good thing they have no idea what we’re talking about 😛

We used to threaten the gerbils with stew when they were being loud at inappropriate times.

When I was 6 my family got two puppies (our older dogs had both passed). One was perfect, but the other chewed all of my toys, a car seat, multiple couches, a coffee table, and just about anything else. I remember crying when he ruined my stuff and telling my mom I wanted to send him to the pound. Hahaha. I don’t think I was kidding though. She was right in the end – he did turn into a really nice dog. It just took him a year or so to get there.

• Deb'sBuns
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    160 posts Send Private Message

I threaten my dogs all the time. Bunnies not so much anymore. Only when BunBun and Charlie eat their bed. I finally had to throw it out. I’d like to put in one of the dogs bed, it’s pretty big. But, I know they’ll dig and tear it up.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                                                      Participant

Ohhh Dave always ask Mikey if he wants to go back to the shelter. I think only because if you phrase it right a dog looks excited so he giggles to ask him if he wants to go back to get that cute ‘YES’ face. Of course he never would and would never have that kind of decision making power in our relationship lol And he’s head over heels for our dog. Crazy as he is this dog plays hide and seek

I had a little rabbit story from this weekend. So I’m working on the yard HARD this year because we want to sell late summer early fall. Gotta clean up the yard. Go to my favorite greenhouse with my mom. We choose the whole theme around these amazing Kale plants. I say to mom ‘and the bunnies can probably eat these’ -and the clerk nearby immediately suggest plants to keep rabbits out. My mom (who loves talking to people) explains my rabbits have thier own room and are not of the ‘get rid of’ variety. This happens three times as I chose nasturium, kale and basil. When ringing in at the end of shopping three would likely be bunny friendly and the clerk jumps to suggest what I could buy to keep rabbits out ! My mom goes on to again explain that they are pets, and the clerk talks about a cousin in Sweden who has rabbits, because they keep rabbits as pets there…
                                                                                                        Uh so silly it’s laughable…sort of

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                        Moderator
                                                                                                        22338 posts Send Private Message

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 06/04/2011 04:43 AM
                                                                                                          MirBear- What a sick teacher!! You should have put some laxative in his coffee.

^

Mirbear, it’s pretty lame your teacher couldn’t have used a synthetic alternative. Good on you for standing by your principles!

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                          Moderator

Posted By MarkBun on 05/29/2011 12:38 PM

.

If you haven’t witness that, here’s a sampler. Scarier in real life .      Turn up the volume.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube&#8230;.ram><param name=”allowFullScreen” value=”true”><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i7XQe2oVZLs?hl=en&fs=1” type=”application/x-shockwave-flash” allowscriptaccess=”always” allowfullscreen=”true” width=”425″ height=”344″>

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                            Moderator

Oh, my! That’s one angry bumba! But it’s STILL cute!!!  Even when Olivia is honking and growling at me, I will risk losing my eyes to give her a kiss on the nose.

• MarkBun
                                                                                                              Participant

Maryann knows what “Hossenfeffer” means so whenever I say it, she immediately becomes the best, polite bunny you’ve ever seen.

Oh, and I was chatting with one of the abused rabbits at Save A Bunny (Omlet) who decided to charge me.  I refuse to back away from him because I don’t want him to equate his attack to people leaving, I just lowered my head so that he couldn’t accidentially scratch my eyes.  Instead, he bit me on the top of my head.  I have a perfect rabbit bite scar of two long, top incisors with a parallel, thin lower incisor.  It literally looks like the following:

| |
                                                                                                                 _

Even after the bite, I just sat there and talked some more to him.  I try to show such rabbits that people can just ‘be there’ and do nothing – not even attempt to reach out and touch them.  Here’s a pic of those teeth, and clicking on his picture will send you to more images of him:

Heh, and what he did right after he bit me….

• Huckleberry
                                                                                                                Participant

Jersey, Haha great video! I guess I should retract my comment. Huckles does that to me every time I try to brush her. She digs at the carpet and snarls. She bites and kicks me. Its all out war. So, I guess what I should say is “I cant understand being afraid of a rabbit unless you have actually lived with one.”
                                                                                                                  But, as Markbun pointed out, I suppose I could see how they would be scary if you were afraid of rodents.
                                                                                                                  I guess my misunderstanding comes from the fact that I dont see them as intimidating. Fearless, angry, vengeful, fur balls… sure, I can see that… but not terrifying!

Markbun; Omlet is precious! and a little vicious it sounds like. So sad that he doesn’t trust yet. Are you working with him? Or was that a one time thing? I love his front paws, how they look like they turn out a little. I always tease Huckleberry that she looks like she is wearing feety pjs that hang over her toes and are too long, He has that appearance too!!!

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                                  Moderator

I had one of those rabbit smileys on my arm a few weeks ago. :p

I’ve said it before but the S.A.B photographer does great work! I was disappointed not to read bio about Omlet though. I always end up looking at the other adoptables when led to the SAB site. Mel & Chantilly have some cool markings!

@LPT, in fairness to Jersey, I did bait her. The jacket I put in her face was tainted with unneutered male rabbit smell. She’s a growler everyday but she was very fired up in that video. I tried to get down to film closer but she was attacking me then also, so I stood up again. That’s why its all a bit wobbly.

• kralspace
                                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                                    2663 posts Send Private Message

Markbun, you must taste good to Omlette!

That video is scary, it’s like what Lola used to do. If I dared brush her she’d spend the rest of the evening charging across the room to leap on the couch and savage the towel I was holding for protection…lol

• MimzMum
                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                      8029 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry Mark…there is no way you will convince me that such a sweet little loppy boy could be evil. ^_^

Jerz, only got half way through that vid before my stupid server reset, but….yikes on toast! 0_o;;

It’s funny, I can yell at my cats when they misbehave because I KNOW they do stuff to gaslight me, but my bunnies? Naw…I just ask t hem WHY a lot…

ETA: Well after finishing reading the rest of the thread, finally…lol, I have to say that it is difficult to keep a happy house rabbit without being defensive in a state where most people do keep rabbits (and other animals) for consumption. These are hard wired folks who don’t have any interest in how good they are as a pet, even if a lot of work. I have heard the occasional comment about how I have my own food supply in case the world goes to hell. (This was back when we had four dogs as well as the three cats and two bunnies and yes, some ‘people’ would consider such a thing.)

And then there are the state fairs, where most rabbits, guinea pigs and other ‘lesser’ animals are strutted around on ropes or kept in cages and look so miserable you just wish you could take every one of them home. One year before we had Fiver there were lots of minirexes at the fair. One followed us wherever we walked to while near his cage, where he was cooped up with other bunnies who just sat there like lumps. I kept wishing there was a moment where I could’ve just popped my hand in there and stuffed him in my jacket pocket, he was so small I thought I would get past anyone sitting nearby.

There’s always an auction at the end of the fair. It makes me sick.

There are enough people on the planet that will never elevate themselves above seeing animals as ‘put here for us/our use”. Since I don’t like to waste my time, I hope that if I begin a rant on how one should take care of that sweet little fuzzball like it was your only child, especially since you don’t realize it will have as much fire as your basic teenager in three months, that it falls on impressionable ears. Anything else is just a pound of flesh, imo

• MarkBun
                                                                                                                        Participant

Posted By Huckleberry on 06/07/2011 06:50 AM

Markbun; Omlet is precious! and a little vicious it sounds like. So sad that he doesn’t trust yet. Are you working with him? Or was that a one time thing? I love his front paws, how they look like they turn out a little. I always tease Huckleberry that she looks like she is wearing feety pjs that hang over her toes and are too long, He has that appearance too!!!

I”m working with Omelet very slowly.  I did once, when I first met him, picked him up and did the force cuddle/pet.  He actually tooth purred a couple of times.  However, I felt that overall he didn’t enjoy the experience.  So usually after I do Tippy’s physical therapy, I sit down next to Omelet’s cage, open the front door and just sit there with my melon in front of it talking to him for about 10 minutes.  Eventually, I’ll just ‘feel’ that he’s ready for another cuddle session but we’ll need to see when that is.  Oh and his feet are fine, just looks like they’re sticking out due to the coloring of them.

I did manage to find a secret out about Tupac though that I hope will get him into a new home quicker.  He was considered one of the more ‘vicious’ rabbits we had because whenever he was being held, he would constantly bite people or chew on the towel he was wrapped in and so on.  But something came to me one night (Yes I think about the buns often) and the next day I held him without a jacket or long sleeve shirt on and he never bit once.  Two more days of the same thing and same result.  It turns out he’s a cloth biter.  If there’s a sleeve or towel, he’ll happily chew/bite/ pull on it but people’s flesh, not in the least – even when you hold him back from trying to get off your lap.  He may turn and nip your shirt but never the flesh.

Now, he does some squirming in the beginning then settles down against one of my arms and happily purrs while I’m petting him.

He’s also a sweetheart if he’s just on the ground and very energetic and curious (definitely should be a free range rabbit) but we want to try and ‘train’ them to accept some lap time since almost everyone wants a cuddle bun.

Tupac (as always click on him to get to his page)

• MimzMum
                                                                                                                          Participant

Tupac reminds me of Shadow when we first got him. He was a big dog that was terrified of men, so if anyone approached him with 1) a baseball cap on or 2) wearing jeans, he would become aggressive. Biting aggressive. And that wolf jaw of his could put 1500 pounds of pressure on a hand or arm…or other places… 0_o
                                                                                                                            The first time I won his trust I was wearing a long skirt and he snuggled right up next to me. (Of course, feeding him that 48 count package of hot dogs the day before might have had something to do with it.)

lolz…I sees what you’re doin’ thar…youze trying to get me to browse Save A bunny…but I’m onto ya’! (Seriously, I can’t go there, I will be lost for hours looking at all the ones I want to take home!)

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                            Moderator

MarkBun- You should adopt Omlet. He really “left a mark on you”.

As for Tupac, I want him. He’s adorable.

Stormy’s the same way about eating cloth, although he attacks it because he hates it. If you wear sleeves and try to pet him, you’re gonna get holes in your sleeve.

Just curious, how many bunnies are there at SaveaBunny?

• Deleted User
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                              22064 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Tate on 05/27/2011 10:32 PM

I usually get…

All. The. Time.

Same here. Only the people usually say it as though it was the most boring thing they ever went through.

• MarkBun
                                                                                                                                Participant

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 06/08/2011 04:32 AM

Just curious, how many bunnies are there at SaveaBunny?

Depends on what you mean by ‘there’:

If you’re talking rabbits up for adoption that live at the house, you’re talking about 75 right now. 

If you want to include the ones that are special needs that won’t be adopted out add another 11

If you want to include all the ones in foster care – I couldn’t tell you.  The website shows over 200 rabbits available for adoption.

• MimzMum
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Good Lord. *facepalm*
                                                                                                                                    How in the world does Marcy cope? I have my hands full with three. Thank God for all those angels that foster the sweet babies!

Urgh….trying…not…to…click…bunny…picture…links…. But I want to SOO bad.

I think the one that got me awhile back was Mazel. I miss her and I’ve never forgotten her. I wish I could’ve brought her home.

Are the special needs deemed unadoptable officially or is it just that their disabilities would be too much for most folks to handle so they are not expected to be adopted?

• LittlePuffyTail
                                                                                                                                    Moderator

Wow! 200 bunnies. I can’t even imagine that! When the shelter I volunteer with has 8 bunnies that’s considered a lot.

Viewing 63 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE How people see rabbits as pets