Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How old is too old?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • HareIvoryWhiskers
      Participant
      40 posts Send Private Message

My older half sister got rabbits around the same time that I did (5 years ago for Easter. We did a ton of research first.). And she was wondering how old would be considered too old to spay/neuter her rabbits. She got hers from being rehomed and I got mine from a rescue. Mine were already spayed/neutered so I don’t have to worry. It seems like every time she saves for one or the other something happens. Car breaking down. Washing Machine breaking. Oven/stove breaking. Ect.

• BrownietheBunny
        Participant
        15 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I wouldn’t really about “how old is too old”. The main point should be getting it spayed or neutered asap to reduce the chances of cancer!

• BrownietheBunny
          Participant
          15 posts Send Private Message

Hi! Definitely get it spayed as soon as possible. I wouldn’t really worry about “how old is too old”. The main concern should be reducing the chances of it getting cancer asap.

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

Girl rabbits are prone to uterine cancer, so it’s very wise to have them spayed. Any surgical procedure for a bun +5 years is riskier than it is a young rabbit, but rabbit savvy vets know this and have special protocols for it.

Boy buns can get testicular cancer, but it’s a lot less common than uterine cancer in does. For bonding purposes, getting the boy neutered is still important, because the girl bun is likely to not appreciate the boy’s sexual advances. At all. This of course lowers the chances of successful bonding.

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

5+ is not too old. I know of rabbits that were spayed at ages 7-8 and the vet was able to successfully remove the cancer that had formed, so I def recommend spaying ASAP. It can take a while to get an appointment, so I recommend just getting the appointment somewhere, which (if you are anything like me) will make it easier to save for as well because it will be concrete and you will know the cost.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Iloveminilops
                Participant
                1 posts Send Private Message

Try to get your rabbit neutered ASAP to reduce the risk of cancer, thanks!

• HareIvoryWhiskers
                    Participant
                    40 posts Send Private Message

My rabbits are spayed and neutered. My older sister’s are not.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How old is too old?