Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How often to clip nails?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • HareIvoryWhiskers
      Participant
      40 posts Send Private Message

Whoo-hoo! I am back for the time being. I moved in with my birth mom and my dad’s brother gave her his old wireless internet thingy. And he never told me the password. My mom told it to me but she got it wrong. I found it written down on a piece of paper that she forgot about and now I can use the internet! Well that’s enough of that story. How have you all been? As you can see I have a question. I’ve been getting my bunnies nails clipped every month or every other month. But some people irl have started to tell me to clip them every 2 weeks and someone else told me that every month or 2 is fine and someone else told me once a year would be fine. I’m so confused right now! How often should I clip their nails?

• Bam
        16879 posts Send Private Message

Hi again!

Great that you found the wifi password!

It’s not really possible to say how often a bun’s nail should be clipped, because it depends on the bun and the bun’s daily activities. Free roam buns tend to need less frequent nail clipping than buns that live in small-ish enclosures – obviously running around a lot wears the nails. Younger buns are more active than elderbuns. Some buns nails are softer, some are harder. So to know when to cut, you have to look at your buns nails.

When I had a bunny pair, one of the buns needed more frequent clipping than the other. They did pretty much the same things because they were very closely bonded and did everything together. The girl bun needed clipping once per month, the boy a lot less often.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

LOL every 2 weeks seems like way too much, but once a year is DEFINITELY not enough. I clip mine about every 4-5 weeks. Their nails def do grow at different rates, and even within a rabbit some of their nails are always a bit longer or shorter depending on how their foot hits the ground.

If you hold a flashlight to the nail it will let you see the quick and that can tell you how much to cut.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Sapientia
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

I’ve found that when the nail starts to extend out of the fur of their feet is when they need to be clipped. Of course, if your rabbit’s quick extends that far into the nail, wait! And if you have a long haired or very short haired rabbit, this guideline might not work. Additionally, if your bunny is a Rex, their nails will start to curl faster than other breeds.

I usually have to clip my rabbits’ nails every 3 weeks to 4 weeks. Every bunny’s different :). You’ll easily be able to tell with time.

• LBJ10
              16908 posts Send Private Message

I’ve been doing it once every 2 months. But it really depends on the bunny, how quickly their nails grow, and how much they are worn down naturally.

• Wick & Fable
                5782 posts Send Private Message

My intention is every month, but realistically once every 2 months.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
                    8935 posts Send Private Message

Hahahaha same…. I put it on my calendar for every 4 weeks but realistically it’s like every 6-8 😆

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How often to clip nails?