Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE How often do you guys change your mascara?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • poopy
      Participant
      684 posts Send Private Message

So I heard you are supposed to toss out tubes every 6 weeks because it gets dry. I did notice that it is dry, BUT I buy Lancome which is kind of expensive. And I don’t use up even close to the full tube before 6 weeks, so I feel bad tossing it.

What do you guys do? I’m wondering if I add a bit of water if that will ruin the mascara’s ability to stick on my lashes.

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

I’ve heard 3 months for mascara, so that’s about when I toss mine. You’re supposed to toss it because of potential problems from the bacteria on it.

• poopy
          Participant

Yikes they should sell smaller (and consequently cheaper) tubes for that reason. What a waste of my good mascara.

• BinkyBunny
            8776 posts Send Private Message

I’m terrible about tossing out tubes. I also spend a bit of money (Chanel) that I break all the rules and am probably being unsanitary because I know I don’t throw it out every 3 months. I throw it out when it dries out or when it runs out, and I know that for me it can go longer than 3 months. Oh, I FORGOT this little gem….I just recently found the cheapest but BEST mascara ever, well for my little stubby straight lashes.

I was afraid to use it it was so cheap ($1.99 at "Beauty Source&quot, but someone recommended it and claimed it to be the best ever and I thought, well, what could it hurt to try for just 1.99. I thought there is no way it could be any good and it will probably flake! But it’s the best mascara I’ve ever tried….so far. I have to see if it will end up drying out my lashes, but so far so good. It’s called Sherani Protein Mascara. (Thickening foruma) but it also lengthens really well. 

• Spacehopper
              Participant
              540 posts Send Private Message

Shove a little bit of vaseline in the tube when it starts to dry out, it lasts for MUCH longer. I used to find it fascinating watching my mum putting her make on and i’d spend ages imitating her with the pump pump pump of the mascara wand in and out of the tube. It’s only in my adult years that I realise I must have been the pain in her bum with costing a fortune on makeup as that is the WORST thing to do with mascara as it pumps air into the tube which dries it all up quicker. Oooops! But yes, back on track..vaseline.

• Hedi
                Participant
                969 posts Send Private Message

Hey, I know the answer to this one! lol

"Normal" brands of mascara need to be tossed because of BACTERIA more than anything else. Ive heard they use bat guano (poo) as a main ingredient and as you can imagine after awhile it grows stuff.

From About.com:  Mascara is one makeup product in your bag that you want to keep tabs on. It’s a breeding ground for bacteria. Most mascaras with a tube & a wand have an antibacterial agent in them that last about 6 weeks making you safe for at least a couple months & likely safe up to 4. You risk eye infection the longer you keep the product. If you notice the smell changes or the texture changes, throw it out. It’s not worth it.

There are more "friendly" versions of mascara out there that can last for a year and is not made of bat poo. The only one I know of that isn’t is made by Arbonne. Although with all things getting more freindly I’m sure there is more out there. Theirs is vegan friendly and of course not tested on animals. But they only have it in 2 colors. The link if your are curious: https://www.arbonne.com/shop_online/showCatalog.asp?category=26

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

eek *gack* i haven’t changed my mascara in….ack….there’s bacteria in my eyelashes!!

I’ll have to look into animal friendly mascara – I bet people in the US could find it at Whole Foods Markets, they have cosmetics (in the big ones) and all of the things they carry are animal friendly.

• poopy
                    Participant

Ya mine I keep for like 6 mos- 1 yr. I know Smashbox doesn’t test on animals. Dunno about the ingredients though. I’m really picky though, the only brand of mascara that doesn’t come off my lashes or irritate my eyes is Lancome.

• poopy
                      Participant

Posted By Spacehopper on 07/17/2007 12:31 AM
                        Shove a little bit of vaseline in the tube when it starts to dry out, it lasts for MUCH longer. I used to find it fascinating watching my mum putting her make on and i’d spend ages imitating her with the pump pump pump of the mascara wand in and out of the tube. It’s only in my adult years that I realise I must have been the pain in her bum with costing a fortune on makeup as that is the WORST thing to do with mascara as it pumps air into the tube which dries it all up quicker. Oooops! But yes, back on track..vaseline.

Does the mascara still adhere the same with the vaseline in it? Is this ok for contact wearers?

• Spacehopper
                        Participant

MooBunnay, turn away now – you’ll be horrified to know there’s always little wriggly bug things in your eyelashes lol.

I find it sticks the same, goes on a little easier too (NO clumpy bits), but only put a tiny bit in. 🙂 Not sure about the contact wearers tho. You can get cheap mascara in Asda & from Avon nowadays, does the same job and only £2. 🙂

• MooBunnay
                          Participant
                          3087 posts Send Private Message

Wriggly bugs?

*faint*

• Spacehopper
                            Participant

yuhuh.  Eeeoeuw! "The mites live head-down in a follicle, feeding on secretions and dead skin debris.  If too many mites have buried into the same follicle, it may cause the eyelash to fall out easily."  A few years back I lost ALL my eyelashes in one eye.  It doesn’t bare thinking about.!!!!!!

171912358771.jpg

• BinkyBunny
                              8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh great! Thanks Spacehopper. That’s just "crackin" (can I use that in sarcasm or am I giving myself away as a silly American?) Now I’m itchy all over! EWWWWW! I’m throwing out my mascara right now and going to scrub my eyelashes.

• Spacehopper
                                Participant

Nope you’re fine there! 🙂 Me too…urgh! There’s a bright side to having hayfever at the moment..NO MASCARA!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE How often do you guys change your mascara?