Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE how much should I feed?

• This topic has 9sd replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • Kit
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

How much should I be feeding a holland lop? I just got my little guy on sunday and I’m not sure how much I should be giving him. I’ve been of course freefeeding him timothy hay, but I’m not sure how much pellets I should be feeding. I’ve been feeding him 1/4 a cup since sunday but now I’m seeing some places saying 1/4 cup and some say 1/8 cup. And how many cups in veggies? Packed or loose?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

first off how old is he? how much does he weigh?

• Kit
          Participant

He turns a year old in july. And weight I’m not really sure….He is lighter than my cat who is 7 lbs…..I’d guess somewhere around 4-5 lbs but I’m not positive. I mean he could be more or less….I’d weigh him but he’s not quite to the point of letting me hold him or anything so I can’t yet. But I would guess around 4-5 lbs.

• Beka27
            Participant

has he been examined by a vet before you got him this week? oftentimes vets will examine them before they are adopted out.

HRS is pretty straightforward on this… you can also contact your vet and after his exam they will give their opinion as well.  as he eats mroe veggies he will need less pellets as well.

quoted from this website:  http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html#young

7 months to 1 year:

• introduce timothy hay, grass hay, and oat hays, decrease alfalfa
              • decrease pellets to 1/2 cup per 6 lbs. body weight
              • increase daily vegetables gradually
              • fruit daily ration no more than 1 oz. to 2 oz. per 6 lbs. body weight (because of calories)

1 year and older

• Unlimited timothy, grass hay, oat hay, straw
              • 1/4 to 1/2 cup pellets per 6 lbs. body weight (depending on metabolism and/or proportionate to veggies)
              • Minimum 2 cups chopped vegetables per 6 lbs. body weight
              • fruit daily ration no more than 2 oz. (2 TBL) per 6 lbs. body weight.

• Kit
              Participant

He hasn’t seen a vet recently no…

So I basically just need to add another cup of veggies and a little extra on the pellets, thanks!

• Beka27
                Participant

you can also go to the binky bunny info section on diet for more guideleines, i think they are similar.

• Kit
                  Participant

Thanks!…I’ll check this out but I wanted to see what others thought, I’ve been giving my guy a mixture of romaine, carrot tops, raddichio, radish tops, and Tango lettuce. Does this sound about right? I try to even it out with at least a 3rd of romaine or carrot tops. Just want to make sure I’m doing everything right. I’ll be adding more variety at I learn what he likes but for now does this sound okay.

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

That sounds like a good mixture of greens – I’m not familiar with Tango lettuce though but I love the name. You could even add cilantro, and parsley (curly or flat leaf are both fine).

• Floppy
                      Participant
                      490 posts Send Private Message

I believe pure holland lops should be 3.5-4 lbs anything over that is over weight.
                        I give Floppy lots of veggies and hay and pellets in between when I know i’ll be gone for
                        extended hours or just in between feeding times.

• Kit
                        Participant

I wasn’t familiar with Tango but fredmeyer had their salad mixes with tango, romaine, and radichio on sale for 99 cents so I couldn’t resist the money saver since the bags are usually like $3! Anywho, he seems to REALLY like carrot tops, he always eats those first!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE how much should I feed?