Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS How much room for 3 buns?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • 2 posts Send Private Message

Hi! So how much room would 3 small-medium bunnies need? How much for the actual hutch, and how much for the run/free space?

Also, should the rabbits need a temporary place to be (before their proper set up), how big would that have to be? Could it be smaller for just a week or so?

Thank you!

• jerseybunnies
        Participant
        47 posts Send Private Message

Hi!

So every site is going to say it differently — so in my opinion, there is no “minimum to maximum” of space you need for a rabbit. However, the more space the better!! I have one rabbit and his xpen + crate (crate door always open to enter pen) is 77 inches in length, 33 in width. Although, it’s important to remember the following: How many rabbits will there be? In my case, I only have one rabbit but I still wanted to provide an adequate enclosure, as anyone should. What breed will the rabbits be? (How big will they get)? I have a Holland Lop baby right now (8 weeks) so the size of a baby Holland Lop’s cage (they get 2-4 lbs) would of course be different from that of a Flemish Giant, let’s say. They get around 15-22 lbs. How often will the rabbit be kept in the cage? My rabbit is only kept in there during the night, but if you are gone all day and need them in for a long time, then they will need a larger area. These are all valid things to consider! I would suggest that instead of a hutch, which might not work out for three rabbits as it could get crowded in there! you could maybe consider switching your idea to something more spacious. An xpen is also cheaper than a hutch and provides with more room for the rabbits. I have a large dog crate connected to my rabbits XL dog pens (x2) and the door to that is always open, providing him with options of where he wants to go. It’s also important to remember the age of your rabbits when you get them as I said above — if you’re getting senior rabbits, you must tailor the area to them. Same thing with babies. You must have enough room for the necessities yet I would recommend multiple (probably 2) litter boxes if you are having 3 rabbits.

In response to your question about a temporary habitat, your bunnies will probably be in a lot of stress from coming home. Personally, I would just immediately put them in their permanent home — however, if you want them to continue to bond or to work on litter box training, you could take the space you want them to roam in with an xpen and slowly expand it, slowly giving them more freedom. This would be less stressful than setting up two areas.

For all of these reasons, I just can’t straight up tell you the size you need. Just remember, “the bigger, the better” — give the largest space you can and what you feel is right. Remember, you’re still learning and since you’re just getting your bunnies now, you can always expand.

You can reply with questions or comments if you’d like to give me and everybody who might see this thread a better idea of what your habitat must be like!

–Breanna

These are just my suggestions. Please seek an experienced veterinarian if you have medical needs / questions. Thank you! 

• 2 posts Send Private Message

Wow, thank you for that awesome reply! I do want to build them a hutch outside for playtime though, apart from their main, indoor space. Do you think that outdoor hutch would need a proper area that’s like a house (wood on all sides – not wire)? And if so, do you have any idea how big that should be? I don’t want to make it too big, because I want it to be cozy, and I wouldn’t want it to take away from their fun, grassy area! But thank you for your reply – for indoors they are going to get the biggest space I can give them!! 🙂

• jerseybunnies
            Participant

Yes! So my rabbit is 100% indoors — I haven’t kept either of my rabbits outside! But, to answer your questions: I would suggest something with wood on all sides for the “house” part if that is possible so that they will stay warmer without too much wind, but I would say that maybe having a little area for your bunny that is wire for them to look out would be nice — since just wood and no wire might seem like some kind of a solitary confinement type situation with no windows, LOL — I think that the hutch should be big enough for it to fit in a nice sized litter box, the hay (whether you choose to put that in the litter box or find a way to attach the hay feeder to there), and food bowls or anything else you want in there. Keep in mind that if you live in an area that gets cold during the winter / fall, you will need to either keep them inside during that time or figure out some heating of some sort! (Honestly depends where you live — it gets down to the negatives where I live in winter so my bunny is always inside during then but if where you live is warm all year round then you don’t have to worry about a heat source), I would say that the hutch should be nicely sized and spacious with enough room for them to turn around and hop a bit, but make the indoor area larger so that instead of it seeming like you are just transitioning them from place to place, they would feel that the inside area is a “treat” and will have more fun playing there. If your rabbits are not already bonded, you will need to seperate the hutch into 3 sections, since if you are inside you can not quickly separate fights or quarrels. You can do this by building a store bought hutch that has room for separations or you can take like chicken wire and make walls. Just make sure to leave space between each wall so that they can’t bite through or anything. Or you could use wood but if you are working on bonding, it would be best to do that inside so you can keep an eye. Again, depending where you live and what “predators” are in your area, you will have to bunny proof accordingly. For example, if you get foxes where you live and you put a hutch down on the floor on the grassy area with dirt beneath, a fox, opossum, etc. could dig right under and up into your hutch and that wouldn’t end well. For this reason, I would recommend a hutch with a stand if possible. You will need a strong cover for the area. If you use wire, layer and layer so that holes are smaller. Remember that eagles above could scare rabbits. Make sure no animals can bite through wire. Layer. If you let your rabbits outside, for example if you have a small backyard that’s gated, always watch them and I would suggest a pen but you said you will be doing that inside so that is nice. Remember to check around their hutch when you clean it. What does their feces look like? Color of urine? Examine them often. How healthy are they? Take all of this into consideration!

I’m happy to answer any more questions 🙂

These are just my suggestions. Please seek an experienced veterinarian if you have medical needs / questions. Thank you! 

• jerseybunnies
              Participant

Oh, do I have something for you!

This is a page on the Binky Bunny site and it has pictures and examples of safe outdoor bunny runs — you can utilize this! I love the ones at the bottom of page 1 – so spacious and neat!

Here is the link: https://binkybunny.com/bunnyinfo/safe-outdoor-runs/

Feel free to ask any other questions! I’m happy to help 🙂 Like seriously — I have like nothing to do all day, I’m very happy to help! 😯 🙂

• Cinnimon&Ollie
                Participant
                300 posts Send Private Message

I know this is kinda late but I strongly recommend to not put your rabbits in a hutch outside there are way to many risks. There is RHDV2 which is a deadly disease for rabbits spreading rapidly. There is also the risk of ticks, fleas, and other bugs. Then there is a risk of birds, and animals grabbing your bunnies for a meal, they break through the cage to get the bunnies. Another risk would be weather rabbits are very susceptible to overheating, which can be deadly. Also if it gets to cold they could pass. I don’t know if people near you spray chemicals on there grass and weeds but that can travel to your yard. I am not saying your rabbits have to be inside 24/7 but maybe only take them out when you are holding them for a few minutes once in a while.

• DanaNM
                  8930 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the post @Cinnimon&Ollie , this thread is a few months old not so I’m not sure there will be much activity on it now.

I also interpreted this as the OP intends to keep their buns inside primarily and just wanted to build an outdoor run for extra exercise, and they have been given some great tips for how to allow outdoor access safely (but thanks for reminding everyone of RHDV risks).

I’m going to lock this for now, but OP if you’d like me to reopen it send me a message and I can do that!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • The topic ‘How much room for 3 buns?’ is closed to new replies.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS How much room for 3 buns?