Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How much pineapple?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • rella
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hello,

My bunny is about four months and shedding quite a lot of hair. She is eating and pooping normally but not as active as she used to be. I read somewhere that it helps to give bunnies pineapples  when they are shedding, if this is true can anyone please tell me how much to give to her?

Thanks

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Rella.  The theory is that the enzymes in pineapple (like papaya) will help break up the mucus that binds the fur together in the GI tract.  There are vets and rabbit-savvy individuals that sit on both sides of the fence on this issue.  I know it helps my two, and if anything, it makes a nice treat for them.  You’ll want to give them either fresh pineapple, or tinned pinapple that is in its own juice and not in syrup.  The rule of thumb is no more than 1/2 teaspoon per pound of body weight.

You want to be sure that there is plenty of good quality hay available especially during a heavy shed, fiber is essential in helping to keep the GI tract moving and pushing through and ingested fur in the system.  Not to mention that you want to be extra diligent about grooming your rabbit as well.  If your bunny is not as active as she used to be there could be something else going on and it may be wise to pay a trip to the vet.  What has she been doing differently that makes her not as active?  How is she behaving? is she grinding her teeth, is she hunched up in a ball as if in pain, is her abdomen swolen?  What is her diet like?

This is something to read, print out, and have on hand regarding GI stasis:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

^^ Couldnt’ have said it better myself and I’ve nothing to add

Welcome here rella!

• rella
            Participant

Thanks a lot Scarlet_rose and KokaneeandKahlua

Thanks a lot for the information, its really helpful.

I give unlimited  hay and pellets and a bit of greens in the morning and evening.  She is not exhibiting any of the symptoms you mentioned but she is not running around as much as she used to. I will take on board what you said about gromming her more often.

We have an appointment with the vet on tuesday so  will keep an eye on her till then.

Thanks again

• Scarlet_Rose
              Participant

Rella you are welcome.  How old is your rabbit?  Only youngsters need all the pellets they can eat and are you feeding alfalfa-based pellets and hay?  If she is older it is wise to switch to a timothy-based pellet and a good quality timothy hay.  There is a lot of calcium and calories in alfalfa.  Also, do you feed any vegetables at all?  Rabbits really need a source of vitamin A in their diet.

Here is some dietary information that may interest you (sorry I do not know how much you know already):

https://binkybunny.com/BUNNYINFO/Diet/tabid/60/Default.aspx

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-3/fiber.html

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-4/pellets.html

K&K – Thanks!

• rella
                Participant

Hi Scarlet_rose,
                  Max is about four months old (almost 5 months old), I got her when she was about 6 weeks old. We switched from Alfalfa based pellets when when she was 3 months and she eats vegetables (parsely, endives, basilic) mostly i give her carrots from time to time.
                  Thanks a lot for the information. She is doing a lot better now.

Thanks from  Max  and I.

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant

Awe I’m so glad she is doing better! Maybe she was a bit under the weather from the shed and I don’t know about where you are, but the weather has turned here and started to snow which puts my Bonsai in a major funk too.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How much pineapple?