Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How much fruit do you feed your bun?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • SniffSniff186
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I’m new here so hopefully this is the right place to ask this 😛

I was just curious how many people give their buns fruit, and if there are any that don’t.  We give ours a very small amount only once in a while as a special treat, but I’ve heard of people giving their rabbits fruit daily.

Our vet recently told us that rabbits should strictly have ZERO fruit.  Ever.

I thought that was a bit extreme… what is everyone’s thoughts on this?

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

I view fruit as special treat as well, so I tend to feed it very rarely. I kind of think of it the same as a bowl of ice cream for a human, so daily is probably too much, but it also depends on the amount. A bite of apple every day would be fine for most buns, but a large slice would be too much.

Rabbits don’t need fruit ever, so your vet is right about that, but they certainly do love it. Sometimes it seems like it’s more for the human enjoyment of giving them such a yummy treat.  Some buns also have very sensitive GI tracts and get soft poops after eating fruit, so they can’t have any.

I think the way you are currently feeding sounds fine, as long as it agrees with your bun’s digestion and your bun eats plenty of hay.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Azerane
          4688 posts Send Private Message

I almost never give fruit. I did recently buy some dried strawberry as treats (I’ve given Luna 1 tiny piece a day), and I mixed banana and blackberry through Luna’s critical care (first time she’d tried either). But that’s really only because she’s been ill. I don’t routinely give fruit at all.

• Bam
            16838 posts Send Private Message

I give my bun a piece of apple almost every day, something like an inch cube. He’s special needs though, and a senior, so he has trouble keeping weight on. He weighs 1.5 kilos, so its quite a big chunk of apple for him.

Wild rabbits will eat wind fall apples and pears in the fall (which is extremely cute to get to watch), but wild rabbits obviously need a lot more energy than our house buns do, so their situation is very different. They need to keep warm and run from potential predators, which, thankfully, our pets don’t have to.

• DanaNM

I also think that high fiber fruits, like apple, seem to be a bit better tolerated by buns (compared to something like banana that is super sweet)? Or maybe that’s just my perception of things?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• jerseybunnies
                Participant
                47 posts Send Private Message

My bunnies have been great with apple. Maybe it’s because apple has a lot of “water” or rather, “liquids” in it, that they digest it better? I saw something online about apple being a better tolerated fruit because of the liquid content rather than the thicker piece of fruit. Obviously, I’m not sure if this is true or not, but I guess it kind of makes sense?

These are just my suggestions. Please seek an experienced veterinarian if you have medical needs / questions. Thank you! 

• SniffSniff186
                  Participant
                  12 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the replies everyone!  Admittedly, we probably gave our bun more fruit than we should have when we first got her.  But we’ve learned to really limit that now (this is especially important since she has a lot of health problems).  But I do give her a nibble of an apple every once in a while, but it’s very rare.

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to eat a banana anywhere in the house without her finding me and begging me for some!  I have to eat them in secret now…

• DanaNM

Omg yes I cannot eat a banana around Cooper, he will literally climb up my legs LOL

• TORY93
                      Participant
                      11 posts Send Private Message

It is very rare that I would give my rabbit fruit .. I might give her the teeniest tiniest square of apple if im having one and she hasnt had any in a while. Its probably less than once a month and it really is a negligible amount, probably a piece the size of a tic-tac. Shes not a banana girl, takes after her owner in that regard lol.

• LBJ10
                        16870 posts Send Private Message

I give a small piece of dehydrated apple every day. A very special treat would be a small bit of fresh banana.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How much fruit do you feed your bun?