Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How long do rabbits live

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • BugsP
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

I was wondering how long do rabbits usually live?

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

from what I have read 10-12 years.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
          Participant
          971 posts Send Private Message

Yeah, anywhere from 7-13 I believe.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits can live anywhere from 7 to 15 or 20 years old. They are a long time commitment.

• wendyzski
              Participant
              1312 posts Send Private Message

The usual figure I see quoted is 8-10 years.

On my various bunny groups we had one live to 16 and another partially disabled bun that is celebrating 13 years 7 months at the moment.

• kimberleyanddarren
                Participant
                2520 posts Send Private Message

i have heard of bunnies living into their late teens perhaps 16-19 but i would say 10 -13 is about average! a long time for a small animal to live really considering a dog probably wont make it as long as some of the elder rabbits!

• KatnipCrzy
                  Participant
                  2981 posts Send Private Message

it depends on the size of the rabbit.  I know I read that but cannot remember where. 

• kimberleyanddarren
                    Participant
                    2520 posts Send Private Message

yes breed aswel i think

• RabbitPam
                      11002 posts Send Private Message

Anyone know which breeds tend to live longer?

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant

Smaller breeds tend to live longer as larger breeds develop more problems like arthritis, however with newer medicine I believe that is changing.

• RabbitPam

Thanks Scarlet Rose.
                            I was thinking I would prefer to get a smaller breed, though I do love a Mini Rex. I was told I HAD a Mini Rex, but I was thinking Mini?????? He got to be 8 lbs. of healthy bunny at his largest, and you’ve seen how big he is in my pictures. He also developed what was probably arthritis in his legs. So I guess I’d like a really mini Mini Rex. (The first bunny to come along that winks at me I’ll probably be a sucker for, regardless.)

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant

You’re welcome! Oh hey, you never know what cutie pie is going to rope you in with their soulful eyes. For the arthritis (I’m going to have to learn about this soon) I’ve heard of giving them glucosamine supplements and it helps. My two are 9 pounds each themselves, but you know I just would not trade them for the world. I’ve got ramps at the ready if it even gets to the point that they are unable to hop up steps to the different levels of their cage. Although they are only 7 right now, I really haven’t seen any problems yet.

• RabbitPam

Yes, for the last 6-8 months I had to completely change our routines and his habitat. He eventually couldn’t navigate the ramps (I’ll never forget seeing my poor sweeting stumble down it into the bars. I almost panicked) so I gradually removed one of the two platform levels, then raised the remaining level so he couldn’t jump up to it, but could still sit or lay down under it’s protection. He was unable to get into his litter pan, so I bought several absorbant rugs from Palace Pet Beds (great stuff for post-surgery, babies and incontinent senior pets) that I changed frequently and popped into the washer. Soft for him to sleep on too.

He was on a daily dose of Glucosamine, that DID help, long before he was incontinent. I don’t think you can go wrong giving it to them soon. Also had an injection once a day of Metacam for the pain. Both clearly worked, as he gradually stood up and wanted to come out to play after it kicked in.I happened to be out of work and job hunting from my apt. during last May – Dec. so was with him daily in the same room with my computer & TV. Looking back, I would not have given up my last months with him for a new job. I’m grateful we were able to just rest together in each others’ company all day.

• Beka27
                                Participant
                                16016 posts Send Private Message

wow rabbitpam.  your stories with him always touch my heart.  i hurt for the pain you went thru.  like i said before, you are going to have one lucky bun.

• RabbitPam

Thanks Beka. Every time I see your Avatar I want one just like Meadow. I even love her name.

My part time job is starting off so well that they are talking about getting me on full time by next year’s budget, ie. this October 2008. If that happened, then I could get an apartment again and a new bun for my November birthday! That would be wonderful. Cross fingers, toes and eyes.
                                    (Though following the adorable, good natured Spockie will be a tough act to follow. I’m spoiled.)

• Beka27
                                    Participant
                                    16016 posts Send Private Message

i love my Meadow.  she’s my perfect baby girl.  actually, her approx. one year birthday is tomorrow according to her estimated age.  that’s at least the birthdate we’ll be celebrating, as well as her adoption date (7/21).  you’ll know the right bun for you when you see him or her.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How long do rabbits live