Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE How do you stop wanting to ADOPT THEM ALL?!

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
    • MoJingly
      Participant
      49 posts Send Private Message

Seriously.  I find myself going through craiglist and local shelters and finding all these adorable bunnies that need homes.  I just need to stop. I want to save them ALL.  It’s exhausting.  How do you deal with it? 

And I KNOW that there will always be more… but that doesn’t help. 

• Stickerbunny
        Participant
        4128 posts Send Private Message

You don’t… you just learn self control and where your limits are.

• Hazel
          Participant
          2587 posts Send Private Message

I wish I had that problem! We’ve been searching for a bunny to adopt for weeks and there’s nothing. It’s almost laughable but not in a good way.

• Megabunny
            Participant
            2041 posts Send Private Message

I hear you! I got a bunny on Mother’s Day, then found one at the shelter and adopted her on Father’s Day. When I asked my husband what he wanted to do for himself on Father’s Day he said, “Oh, getting the rabbit was really the big thing.” I was so touched…til I turned around and saw he was laughing! I’m trying hard not to get back on the shelter’s website because I’m afraid I’ll fall in love with another one. But I’m up to three bunnies now and that feels just right. My daughter is worried I’ll keep getting more and more and end up on a TV reality show, hoarding rabbits. She’s a psych major, but I told her I think I’m good now. My husband is building me a big cage and I think I could take on one or two more if I really wanted to. But when work at school and winter come along, I’m sure I’d regret having so many. So I’m trying not to get more. But it really is hard, isn’t it?

Hazel- is that a Jersey Wooley??? Love that breed! I used to have a black one and he was superb!

• Hazel
              Participant
              2587 posts Send Private Message

Megabunny: Yes, we think he was a Jersey Wooly mix, probably had some Lionhead in him. We don’t know for sure, I got him from a pet store. He passed in December of 2009. He was my baby, we miss him a lot.

And don’t worry about being a bunny hoarder, there’s no such thing as too many bunnies!

• justwildbeat
                Participant
                257 posts Send Private Message

Avoid visiting shelters, rescues, and pet stores lol? Just remind yourself that you can’t adopt them all.

Also I thought Craigslist removed their pet section?

• MoJingly
                  Participant

Posted By justwildbeat on 07/11/2013 11:39 AM
                    Avoid visiting shelters, rescues, and pet stores lol? Just remind yourself that you can’t adopt them all.

Also I thought Craigslist removed their pet section?

I think they removed the “animals” section under the “for sale” heading, but now there is an animal section under “community.” 

• Snowytoshi
                    Participant
                    263 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Hazel on 07/09/2013 10:01 PM
                      I wish I had that problem! We’ve been searching for a bunny to adopt for weeks and there’s nothing. It’s almost laughable but not in a good way.

What area do you live in?

And Craigslist still has a pets section, I go there and flag any animals that look they are from a breeder, as Craigslist doesn’t allow animals for profit.

• tanlover14
                      Participant
                      3617 posts Send Private Message

You don’t…. you just adopt them all…. that’s how I ended up with FIVE. Save me from myself.

• Isabel
                        Participant
                        51 posts Send Private Message

I was in a pet store the other day and this poor, beautiful lionhead was in the smallest cage (not even enough room to flop) and she looked positively MISERABLE. It was horrible. It’s so obvious she hadn’t been handled in weeks, if not months. Thank god my rabbit isn’t neutered yet (scheduled for the end of the month), or else I would have taken her home. So many bunnies, so little time!

• Deleted User
                          Participant
                          22064 posts Send Private Message

I know that struggle! A friend recently told me that a friend of his has a rabbit, the victim of a recent divorce. Rabbit belonged to the wife, but for whatever reason wife (never met either of them but this really gets me) left rabbit with x. He has been trying to care for it but is a long distance truck driver so my friend checks on it when he is out of town. Least he knows (they both do, that is my friend, and his friend) this isn’t a life for Rabbit, want to find a new home for him, and I so wish I could take him in, … positively hurts every time I think of the poor lonely little one. But I’m not at all confident about bonding him, and not only would it be my third rabbit, it would be my seventh animal. I hate leaving it, but at some point you just have to say the ones I’ve already taken in must come first. But oh how I hate not being able to do something!

• Megabunny
                            Participant

Isabel,

You must be a nicer person than I am. I don’t think I could have left the pet store without speaking my mind very loud and clear. My husband has gotten somewhat used to being embarassed, I’m afraid. I’m not always a lunatic, but that would have sent me over the edge, and every customer would have heard.  So sorry to hear about that. Breaks my heart, too. Your bunnies sound very lucky to have you and that really is what you have to remember to stay sane!

• justwildbeat
                              Participant
                              257 posts Send Private Message

I think it’s great to speak out about a pet store’s improper practices however I’m doubtful they actually take the advice to heart.

At the beginning of the summer I dropped by a pet store outside of Houston and it was super warm and stuffy inside. All of the rabbits were stretched out try to cool off and were very lethargic. To top it off this store also carried chinchillas, and they weren’t faring much better. I hate to imagine how hot it is in there now that’s it’s full blown summer. Plus I overheard the employees bragging about how much they got customers to spend on “essential” supplies….

• Valkyrie
                                Participant
                                185 posts Send Private Message

I love my spouse so much and his heart is in the right place, but sometimes he doesn’t help. We live in a two bedroom, single level duplex My living room has 2 rabbit cages and three bird cages. There is a 60 gallon fish tank that starts in my living room and ends in my kitchen. There are two beta tanks in my bathroom. On top of all this you have a 70 lbs dog and two cats running around. And every time I tell him about some pet I see needing rescue, he says “if it will make you happy babe, let’s get it.”

I love that he not only accepts but also supports that I am a crazy zoo keeper, but it just means I’m always the one making the decision. IT’S ALL ON ME!!! And my mind just keeps screaming “RESCUE ALL THE ANIMALS!” I had a close call these past two weeks. My cousin unexpectedly passed away and we were frantically trying to find homes for her two grieving dogs. I was so close to taking them, but I had to keep reminding myself that they are not cat friendly. One dog killed a cat while cuddling it, literally suffocated it, and the other chases them. No matter how badly they needed a home, I couldn’t endanger my cats. It was worse when only one was rehomed and the other was put in the SPCA. We are trying to spring the one in the SPCA though and will hopefully have him this weekend. Due to the circumstances, my parents have decided to add him to their 2.5 dog home (the half is my dog that goes there during the day while I am at work).

I think this poem is appropriate. My mom found it on the net and my dad changed a few words to change it from talking about breeders to talking about rescuers. He read it at my cousin’s funeral. Although it is about dogs, I think the setiment is still the same for all animals.

Why own a dog? There’s a danger you know,
                                  You can’t own just one, for the craving will grow.
                                  There’s no doubt they’re addictive, wherein lies the danger.
                                  While living with lots, you’ll grow poorer and stranger.

One dog is no trouble, and two are so funny.
                                  The third one is easy, the fourth one’s a honey.
                                  The fifth one’s delightful, the sixth one’s a breeze,
                                  You find you can live with a houseful with ease.

So how ’bout another? Would you really dare?
                                  They’re really quite easy but, oh, Lord the hair!
                                  With dogs on the sofa and dogs on the bed,
                                  And crates in the kitchen, it’s no bother, you’ve said.

They’re really no trouble, their manners are great.
                                  What’s one more dog and just one more crate?
                                  The sofa is hairy, the windows are crusty,
                                  The floor is all footprints, the furniture dusty.

The housekeeping suffers, but what do you care?
                                  Who minds a few noseprints and a little more hair?
                                  So let’s keep a puppy, you can always find room,
                                  And a little more time for the dust cloth and broom.

There’s hardly a limit to the dogs you can add,
                                  The thought of a cutback sure makes you sad.
                                  Each one is so special, so useful, so funny.
                                  The vet and food bills grows larger, you owe BIG money.

Folks never visit, few friends come to stay,
                                  Except other “dog folks” who live the same way.
                                  Your lawn has now died, and your shrubs are dead too,
                                  But your weekends are busy, you’re off with your crew.

There’s dog food and vitamins, training and shots.
                                  And airports and travel and motels which cost lots.
                                  Is it worth it you wonder? Are you caught in a trap?
                                  Then that favorite one comes and climbs in your lap.

His look says you’re special and you know that you will
                                  Keep all of the critters in spite of the bill.
                                  Some just for fostering and some just to feed.
                                  And some just for loving, they all fill a need.

God, winter’s a hassle, the dogs hate it too.
                                  But they must have their walks though they’re numb and your blue.
                                  Late evening is awful, you scream and you shout
                                  At the dogs on the sofa who refuse to go out.

The dogs and the rescues, the travel, the thrills,
                                  The work and the worry, the pressure, the bills.
                                  The whole thing seems worth it, the dogs are your life.
                                  They’re charming and funny and offset the strife.

Your life-style has changed. Things won’t be the same.
                                  Yes, these dogs are addictive and so is the dog game.

Anonymous

• Megabunny
                                  Participant

You’re absolutely right. Much as I’d like to change the world, they would not listen a bit. But not chinchillas too!!!!!!  I used to breed them and know how awful this weather is for them. It’s soooo unfair. How can people turn a blind eye to that and work for such a horrid place??? I know. It all comes down to money.  My daughter goes to college in Albany and visits a pet store at one of the malls. They’ve tried to talk the kids into buying animals that are certainly not allowed in the dorms (I think it may have even been a puppy) and said it would be so quiet…they should go ahead and buy one and sneak it into the dorm!!! Frustrates the heck out of me!

• Isabel
                                    Participant
                                    51 posts Send Private Message

Megabunny,

For some reason speaking to the pet store employees never even crossed my mind. I really should have. And on their door, they had a “Free Gerbil Day” sign! How can you give away pets for free? That’s just begging for them to go to the wrong homes. Too sad.

• Roberta
                                      Participant
                                      4355 posts Send Private Message

One of our pet stores does this with kittens and puppies… Another rescue friend use to go down and clean them out when they did it. I ended up with the most gorgeous Scottish fold kitten one weekend I managed to rehome Fergus with a family I know in less than 48 hrs. He is now living the life and I get regular updates. I don’t know if the outcome would be as bright for gerbils though, it’s very worrying.

This is Fergus in his forever home supervising the morning ablutions. He is a 100% indoor boy.

• Megabunny
                                        Participant

Our local shelter has 3 angoras and one that may be a large breed mix. I don’t dare go look! But I’m fortunate in that they are a no-kill shelter in Rochester so I don’t feel so guilty. But I really want an angora (though I’ve had horrible success with them) and I LOVE big bunnies!! Maybe I need to call and volunteer for rabbit detail. I need a life!

• tanlover14
                                          Participant
                                          3617 posts Send Private Message

Megabunny – you are from Rochester???? I went to college in Brockport! I live in Pittsburgh with my BF now but I’m originally grew up in Arkport, a tiny town near Dansville, about an hour south of Rochester!

• Amys Animals
                                            Participant
                                            902 posts Send Private Message

Tanlover is right….You don’t….Just adopt them all. I know someone on Facebook who has over 20 rabbits!! xD I don’t think I could ever have THAT many buns but I will have four in the near future.

• MoJingly
                                              Participant

Megabunny- I’m in Rochester! !

Tanlover- I drive through Arkport every time I drive to visit my parents!

Small world!

• MoJingly
                                                Participant

Also Megabunny, if you’re talking about Lollypop farm, it was a visit there that made me start this thread in the first place.

But they take real good care of their buns there so don’t fret! They have huge xpens and most of them seemed quite content.

Viewing 21 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE How do you stop wanting to ADOPT THEM ALL?!