Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How Do You Clean Litter?

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
    • shelbyelby
      Participant
      38 posts Send Private Message

I will be getting my first bunny this week, and I have all the supplies. I have the litter, newspaper at the bottom, litter and then hay on top. But, I’m not sure understanding what you guys are DOING to clean the litter. You aren’t scooping it like you do with cats, correct? Do you replace the whole thing every day?

Thank you!!

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

You scoop out and trash the soiled litter and replace it with new litter. So yes, like a cat.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Wick & Fable

We clean the litterboxes, about once per month at a minimum with vinegar spray and water just so the box is clean as well.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• sarahthegemini
            Participant
            5584 posts Send Private Message

I dump the entire contents of the litter box out daily.

• Wick & Fable

Here’s how I clean. There isn’t a picture showing me scooping out the soiled litter, but it shows up as dark brown on the litter. http://www.instagram.com/p/BXsXo28FTcG/

• joea64
                Participant
                1423 posts Send Private Message

I dump the contents of the litterbox (with two buns, it’s too difficult to sort out hay and litter that hasn’t been soiled/used) every 2 to 3 days and replace it with fresh litter substrate and a layer of hay on top, and clean the litterbox with white vinegar every week, generally Sunday; in fact I’m fixing to do it as soon as Panda and Fernando are done with their nap. They’re snuggled up alongside each other and are just too cute to wake up!

• shelbyelby
                  Participant

Posted By Wick on 9/17/2017 1:28 PM

Here’s how I clean. There isn’t a picture showing me scooping out the soiled litter, but it shows up as dark brown on the litter. http://www.instagram.com/p/BXsXo28FTcG/

This is great!! Thank you so much. What do you use the liner for? Should I have a liner? Someone only told me to have newspaper at the bottom, put litter on top of that, and hay inside. 

• Wick & Fable

The screen on top is my choice and other owners have a screen too. I use small paper granule litter, so without a screen, Wick will kick it out of the box and will track it everywhere. The screen also helps keep him cleaner, as it let’s urine drain through so he’s not sitting in wet litter. It also helps with cleaning so I can easily lift it out.

Newspaper on the bottom for lining does help protect your litter box bit. I don’t have a liner, but it’s not bad to have one.

• shelbyelby
                      Participant

Posted By Wick on 9/17/2017 5:20 PM

The screen on top is my choice and other owners have a screen too. I use small paper granule litter, so without a screen, Wick will kick it out of the box and will track it everywhere. The screen also helps keep him cleaner, as it let’s urine drain through so he’s not sitting in wet litter. It also helps with cleaning so I can easily lift it out.

Newspaper on the bottom for lining does help protect your litter box bit. I don’t have a liner, but it’s not bad to have one.

I didn’t even notice that the screen was on top and not under, that’s what I meant, I’m sorry. Very interesting! Might have to get one.

• Mikey
                        Participant
                        3186 posts Send Private Message

I dump my entire litter boxes once every two to three days. I wipe down the litter box with lemon once a month.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How Do You Clean Litter?