Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR how do u play with a bunny?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • alyssa
      Participant
      47 posts Send Private Message

i have 2 rabbits, i dont know what sexe they are, but i dont really know how to play with them. they like to run around the room and nibble on things, and madison LOVES to lay on soft things like sweaters. i just would love to know what toys they would like, the petstore didnt really have any bunny toys. they recommended a GIANT rabbit wheel and a Big plastic ball that u put them in and let them run around.. but i just didnt imagine them liking that very much

• apanda
        Participant
        139 posts Send Private Message

no I def don’t think they would like that!

truffles loves:

paper bags
          cardboard boxes (especially with an entrance and exit hole cut in them)
          hanging wooden bird toys
          sisal mats
          paper
          cardboard tubes (like from toilet paper or paper towels)
          fleece or towels to bunch up on the floor
          willow balls

umm that’s all I can think of now. there’s a lot of good info on this at rabbit.org. good luck with your buns it is loads of fun making stuff for them and watching them play with it

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

You were so right not to listen to the petstore about those toys – they definitely aren’t right for a rabbit – what was the pet store thinking to suggest those to you! I think a rabbit would break their back in those, not to mention they wouldn’t even know what to do with them.

Some things you can try are toilet rolls – the cardboard section of the toilet or papertowel rolls – you can also fill the toilet roll with hay as well.

Alot of rabbits love to toss things – so try some plastic baby keys or some big plastic balls that have holes in them – Osprey has a picture of one of his rabbits in his avatar tossing a ball like this.

Also try seagrass mats for them to chew on.

Willow balls and willow toys are a big hit too.

• alyssa
            Participant

ohh my rabbits were chewing on the toilet roll and i thought they were eating it and i took it away! lol woops

• Deleted User
              Participant
              22064 posts Send Private Message

My guy loves wire cat balls. My first bun loved slinky (the metal one)

• MarkBun
                Participant
                2842 posts Send Private Message

Buns do eat the cardboard of the tubes – but it is okey, it is good roughage for them and helps to keep their teeth down.

I’m not kidding.

• alyssa
                  Participant

Posted By markusdark on 03/27/2008 3:19 PM
                    Buns do eat the cardboard of the tubes – but it is okey, it is good roughage for them and helps to keep their teeth down.

I’m not kidding.

wow lol i stuffed some hay inside and they really seem to like that, i really didnt think eating cardboard was good for any animals.. except maybe goats cuz they kinda eat everything

• LittlePuffyTail
                    18092 posts Send Private Message

Hi. I also have two bunnies. They aren’t into playing too much either, they prefer exploring and looking for ways to destroy my furniture.

As far as playing with the rabbits, I usually just get down on the floor with them. I like to put a few cardboard boxes on the floor and they hop inside and I peek inside and “find them”. However, I would have to say there favorite toys are baby rattles. If you have a local dollar store you can pick up a bunch cheap, just make sure they are small enough so the bunnies can pick them up and toss them.

I also put hay in the paper tubes and sometimes hide little treats to make it more fun (dried papaya or a small piece of carrot).

• masteroffm
                      Participant
                      53 posts Send Private Message

If he is in the right mood I can roll a medium size (8-10″) bouncy ball at Marvin and he will box at it sending it rolling back to me, but the most he ever tolerates is about 10 minutes of this.  I will also lay down on the ground on my stomach where Marvin and Jessica are hanging out and after a minute or two they will come over and climb on top of me.

Also my bunnies love “helping me” when I am working on my computers.  anytime i have a computer on the ground with the cover open Jessica especially loves to  come over and put her paws up on the edge of the case to see what I am doing.  i constantly have to remind them that computers are not for bunnies.

another thing is when go to costco we load up everything in discarded boxes they have at the register and when we unload we typically save one and cut additional openings on the sides and turn it upside kind of like a little house.  either my wife or I will push the box all the way against the wall  and jessica will come and nudge it away from the wall because thats not where it belongs.  so we immediately push it back and shortly after she will nudge it away when she thinks we arent looking.

• ScooterandAnnette
                        Participant
                        1090 posts Send Private Message

One of the things about these toy suggestions to keep in mind is that most of them cost no money at all, or at the very least are very cheap.

• Emma
                          Participant
                          5 posts Send Private Message

My Bun, Teddy, likes carboard boxes the best, his favourite to sleep in is right in front of the front door (yes a pain getting in and out for me) and is bottomless with 2 exits cut out, he likes to move the box about whilst he’s in it from side to side til it gets stuck up on an angle then he hops out to get a look at whats happened from the outside LOL So funny!, is other favouraite is material, I have some really thin material curtains that hang to the floor and he loves plying in them, he’s never actually chewed them so I dont worry about holes being created.. but what he does do is sooooo cute, he sucks them and its quite loud too can hear it over the noise of the tv LOL.. bless him and my soggy rabbit spit curtains.

Em x

• Beka27
                            Participant
                            16016 posts Send Private Message

i don’t remember if i welcomed you, so WELCOME!

there is a toy section on this site that has all kinds of excellent suggestions.  also here are some links to House Rabbit Society pages on toys, and why toys are important for your rabbit.  rabbits can get bored very very easily and toys help to alleviate that, keep them happy, and provide distraction form getting at “no-no” stuff (your carpet, your furniture, your baseboards, etc).

FAQ: Toys  http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/toys.html 

More Than Just a Chew Stick  http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-6/chew-stick.html   (this one is a fav of mine, it talks aboutt he different ways bunnies play.  you asked how to play with a bunny, so i think you will find this very interesing.  some bahaviors that you may just think are just a bunny being a bunny is actually play.)

i know you’re new to the bunny thing, so if you have not already i would seriously recommend you take some time to look thru both the HRS site and this site.  there is a lot of good info on both sites.  even if you go thru a small seciton a day or something… it helps to have an idea of what bunny behavior consists of and what you can expect in the future.

• Holly
                              Participant
                              371 posts Send Private Message

I made a treat bag for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Holly had a blast playing with the bag. When she was finished with them she dragged them into her litter box.

• commander_BunBun
                                Participant
                                31 posts Send Private Message

I couldnt imagine a rabbit in a “hamster” ball. That blows me away I dont know why they would have suggested that? Like everyone said toilet paper rolls stuffed with there hay is a big hit, and my bunny likes to throw things so, i suggest the baby keys aswell, nething really fasinating for them.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                  Participant
                                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Here’s a fun one my bunnies like.

You know those tins that peanuts come in? With the plastic lid, and the normal can? When it’s done, or mostly , put some pennies or rice or whatever inside and give to them (SUPERVISED) they love to toss it and they can get a good grip on it, it’s noisy and goes far so they LOVE it!

• babybunsmum
                                    Participant
                                    3896 posts Send Private Message

my buns like to push around empty tissue boxes.  i take the plastic part off first & sometimes stuff the box with shredded newpaper and a raisin or 2.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR how do u play with a bunny?