Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How do I store hay?

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Moonlightbunny66
      Participant
      694 posts Send Private Message

I’m planning on getting some hay from a farm feed store in a few days, and I need to know how to store it. I know to keep it away from sunlight and water. But where should I put it? And in a box or just as it is? I could put it in the garage but we’ve had mice or rats in there before, so they may come back and live in it… I’m not sure how big the bales will be. But I don’t think I can fit it in my room. I had a 9lbs hay box in there that fit great under my vanity. Where do you guys store your bales of hay, and how do you keep them fresh?

How many should I get to last until next spring or summer? I live in Canada so I won’t be able to get farm hay in the winter.

Thank you!

• Moonlightbunny66
        Participant

I have two bunnies btw, one 9lbs box lasted about 4 weeks.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm, a bale is pretty big, so you prob wont want it in your room! You could keep it in the garage and then bring in a few days worth at a time to keep under your vanity.

My family has horses, and we’ve always kept the hay in a barn or shed. Main thing is to keep it dry, and you want some airflow, so it would be stacked on a pallet so it was off the ground. I do recall the occasional field mouse sighting but never really a big problem with infestations or anything. I don’t think rats are very interested in hay.

The shelter in my town keeps hay in a shed. They go through it pretty fast, as there are about 70 shelter rabbits plus they sell quite a bit to the public. When they get a hay deliver, any that doesn’t fit on the shed they keep on a pallet outside, with a tarp wrapped over it. I prob go through about 2 flakes a week for my three (who’s collective weight is prob similar to your two). Google says there’s about 16 flakes in a bale, so I’m guessing a bale would last you about 8 weeks or more? Since this is your first time getting hay from this source, you might want to just get 1 bale to see how it goes. Then again, having lots of hay is nice… I tend to use more of it the more I have, because I freshen their boxes up more with it and give them a nice fluffy layer to dig around in.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Moonlightbunny66
            Participant

Thanks for the info DanaNM! 🙂 Where do I get a pallet? And do you stack them on top of each other? Thank you.

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

Hmmm I have no idea where to get a pallet. Maybe ask the farm if they have any to spare? You could also maybe accomplish the same thing with some lengths of 2×4.

If you end up getting more than 1 bale you could stack them. I was also thinking, if the pallet thing isn’t practical, you could stand the bale up on it’s end and lean it against the wall. Then only a small part would be in contact with the floor.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Peanutthebunny
                Participant
                239 posts Send Private Message

most people use an airtight container. Maybe a plastic wheelie bin would work

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How do I store hay?