Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How do i keep them warm?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • BunnyLiz
      Participant
      1212 posts Send Private Message

We are having a three day ‘winter storm’ and are in the beginning of the second day.  Inches and inches of snow, but tons and tons of ice.  Everything is shiny with layers of ice from freezing rain, including the power lines.  Its suspected that we will lose our power, therefore or heat.  Lots of people around us did during the night but we got lucky.  How do i keep the bunnies warm if we have no heat?  Just wondering how long they could go in the cold, and how cold, untill it was unsafe for them.  Or am i overreacting?

• kralspace
        Participant
        2663 posts Send Private Message

oh BL, I’ve been watching the terrible weather you’ve gotten up there, I hope you don’t lose power!

• hooty22
          Participant
          606 posts Send Private Message

Ummm…. Might be an obvious question, but…. How are YOU going to stay warm?

• BunnyLiz
            Participant

Yea im crossing my fingers that it doesnt even happen, but i cant help but worry about what that could do to Hammer and Rose. Lol hooty22, i hadnt really thought much about how I am going to stay warm lol. But I can just put on every layer of thermals and sweats i have probably wouldnt be to cold under a bunch of blankets.

My plan as of now, if we lose power and the house starts to get freezing, is to put one bunny in a carrier with wall to wall blankets. Then cover the carrier with blankets i guess. And force the other to huddle under the blankets with me. Ill switch the bunnies every so often i guess. And i just realized that if its out for more then a day i can always use the car to give them short breaks from the cold and crank up the heat. Not driving or anything because we arent allowed to drive unless its an emergency, just sit and enjoy the warm lol. Thats the best ive come up with, any ideas?

• hooty22
              Participant
              606 posts Send Private Message

Well… Great thing about bunnies is they aren’t big fans of being too warm, and they come with rather voluptuous fur coats…. I think I’d be more worried about you than about the buns.

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

I sometimes add a blanket over the bunny condo if it’s extremely cold.  I have an addition on my house from the 1870’s which has never been insulated (dumb landlord).  My kitchen is in that addition and my livingroom is right next to it.  Sometimes it is incrediably cold & breezy, so I’m a blanket kinda gal.

I chuckled when Krlspc said “up there”….I’m thinking hey it’s KY that’s the south…….he he he!

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

i was going to suggest what skunklion said… if you can drape a big blanket or comforter over three sides of the pen, that should cut any drafts and still allow for fresh air to get in and out. they should be alright since they will be inside, there won’t be direct wind and the house should hold at least some of the heat in. it is a bigger concern if the house gets too hot. also, maybe a blanket or towel on the floor for them to lay on if they choose.

i know with people, the more you move around the more you will warm up. so maybe having them confined in a carrier is not a good idea. would that make them colder not being able to move around?

• BunnyLiz
                    Participant

Okay will keep them moving and throw a comforter over their pens if need be. I really hope we dont need to though! The weather channel has been looking better however and the lights havent flickered off and on in a few hours so im thinking the worst is behind us and the power will be okay.  But i certainly wanted advise just in case! Ive always been a worry wort lol

• KatnipCrzy
                      Participant
                      2981 posts Send Private Message

You can cover the Pen to keep warmer air in- the body heat will make the air a little warmer.  Also offer them a box lined with a blanky inside the pen- that way their body heat only needs to heat a smaller area.  If they are bonded together- keep them together- they should want to snuggle for warmth if it gets really cold.

If you would still have a way of heating water- pop bottles filled with warm water will help- but make sure to take them out when they get cold because then they are worse than nothing at all- it will retain the cold.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How do i keep them warm?