Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING How do I get them to go from tolerating each other to liking each other?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Alicia
      Participant
      120 posts Send Private Message

Does it just take time?  Or is that the relationship that some buns have?  

Drue and Tucker don’t fight, the humping has either ceased or at least severely eased up..I never see it anymore, they present themselves for grooming and occasionally the other will cave in and do it, they share litter boxes, eat from the same bowl, and everything is very peaceful..but they don’t actually seem to LIKE each other.  Well, Tucker seems to like Drue..but Drue seems that he couldn’t care less..and then I think that ticks Tucker off?  I don’t know..I could be reading too much human emotions into what I am seeing, but they just seem to spend a lot of the time at opposite ends of the cage just glaring at each other.  Is this just them getting used to sharing a space?  Or is there something that I could do to help them improve their bond.  I didn’t do any actual bonding with them..they just one day decided they were going to like each other and have been together ever since..so there was no like bonding exercises, no car rides, no washing machine rides, no holding them together…nothing..so I don’t know if because they didn’t have that they’re not as close?  Maybe I’m just not being patient enough…I just don’t want to let things go and then have them end up only tolerating each other and not truly being happy with each other for the rest of their lives…I mean really, who wants a loveless marriage?? LOL

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

I do think you might be reading too much human emotions. I also don’t think you can force a rabbit to “like” another rabbit. Trust and tolerance are important. I say give it time. You’ve been very lucky that they do tolerate each other – many rabbit owners are going to be envious of you :~)

• Alicia
          Participant

Ok thanks   I just want to make sure that there isn’t something that I could be doing that I wasn’t.  If they will only tolerate each other because that’s just the way it is, then fine, I would just feel horrible if they were only tolerating each other because I was missing out on a key step of bonding.

I actually think that when they get their new condo/pen set up it might be better, right now I think that Drue still equates his side with being HIS and so while he doesn’t mind that Tucker is in his space and sharing it with him..I don’t think he exactly likes it since he is still possesive over it.

I have a really hard time not reading human emotions into my animals, Mike usually has to bring me back to reality and say “they’re only rabbits” or “they’re only dogs” and telling me that they don’t think like we do.  But my pets are like my children so it’s really hard NOT to read too much into their actions!

• Alicia
            Participant

Not the greatest angle, but I didn’t want to get too close and end up disturbing them…but they were snuggling together!!  YAY! It looks like they are starting to like each other after all! 

• Monkeybun
              Participant
              10479 posts Send Private Message

yay for bunny pillows!

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

I’m having some of the same feelings you are, but about my own buns who are cementing their bond. Everyday they do seem to get a little closer though and a little more snuggly.

Judging from that picture I’d say you have nothing to worry about

• Alicia
                  Participant

Yea they’ve been doing better and better each day! It’s amazing

• bunnymama
                    Participant
                    161 posts Send Private Message

Glad they are getting along so nicely. And if they seem to want to be together, that is the important thing after all – what you were striving for. See I think what you experienced is wonderful – “they deceided they were going to like each other” -that is the key – they deceided not humans…sounds like you are on a roll with those two now…good luck.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING How do I get them to go from tolerating each other to liking each other?