Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE How do I find a rabbit savvy vet?

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Laura
      Participant
      182 posts Send Private Message

Aside from the House Rabbit Society website (which is how I found vet #2).  Is there anywhere else I can go to find a rabbit savvy vet in my area?

After my last 2 experiences with 2 different vets, I’m kinda put off by the lack of time and attention the buns and I were given.  I have 4 rabbits  and I’m going in every few months with various problems.

Thanks,

Laura

• Kokaneeandkahlua
        Participant
        12067 posts Send Private Message

Oi!! that doesn’t sound great at all!

I’ve found these days everyone and everything has websites or at least email addresses. So I did this…
          I made a form email, generic hello, I’ve heard that your clinic sees rabbits. If it does could you please answer my questions…then a couple questions regarding how many bunnies and how many spay/neuters on bunnies are done monthly; Then a couple trick questions (what type of antibiotics are given to buns, what anestetic is given etc etc. ) Thanks you and closing etc.
          I emailed this form letter to ALL the vet clinics in my city and the little surrounding cities. (KEY: make sure you put the name of the vet clinic in the subject of the email, that way when you get the response back you know exactly who it is from!)

From that list I found 4-6 vet clinics that were good and made my selection based on my gut feeling about their responses (did they take extra time to write a little more about how good their care was) so far so good!

• BinkyBunny
          8776 posts Send Private Message

That’s a great idea KK! Also be sure to ask them if they would fast their bunny prior to surgery – the answer should always be NO. Though fasting is what is done for other animals, rabbits should never be fasted – it’s dangerous to do so. Also, here is a list of screening questions from HRS, and they provide the correct answers for you to compare the vet’s answer to.

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

I would also suggest you get recommendations from current rabbit owners in your area.

• bunnytowne
              Participant
              7537 posts Send Private Message

great suggestion I am going to do this. I am moving and will need to find a vet. I may keep the one I have now. I need to ask these questions. she did tell me not to fast the bun b4 his neuter so I went to her.

• Laura
                Participant
                  Posted By Sarita on 02/05/2008 4:36 PM
                  I would also suggest you get recommendations from current rabbit owners in your area.

I have done that, which is how I found vet #1.  Others I have met don’t care enough to take their rabbit to a rabbit savvy vet.  When people found out that I had rabbits I kept hearing “oh, do you want mine? I don’t want it anymore.”  Seriously, I have had the grocery store cashier offer me her rabbit, people at work have offered their rabbits to me, it’s really sad.

• Laura
                  Participant

All great ideas.  Thanks so much.  I have printed the list of questions from HRS.

Laura

• RabbitPam
                    11002 posts Send Private Message

Since I’m also living in FL, but wasn’t sure where you are in the state, I sent you a private email with the name of my great vet in Palm Beach County. I also made a couple of suggestions if you aren’t close by. Good luck!

• Manders
                      Participant
                      13 posts Send Private Message

Hello Everyone…This is my first official post. I have mostly been lurking here and there to get the best for my rabbit. Well I saw this post and have been having a terrible time finding a vet for my rabbit CoJack. So I was wondering if anyone had a vet they could recommend in the Dayton or Columbus, Ohio area? Thanks a bunch.

Amanda

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE How do I find a rabbit savvy vet?