Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING How do I earn back lost trust?! :(

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Castor and Pollux
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

I have two beautiful and bonded buns who would come to me for pets and even pet (lick) me back from time to time. We were really close until molting season earlier this year when I had to start grooming them regularly. They have been distant with me ever since and nothing I do (hand feeding, spending more time on floor, entertaining) seems to help. Recently, I had to pick them up for grooming after a few weeks where I got really busy and didn’t find time to groom. They both fought tooth and nail but I felt it was high time that I groomed them as they were frequently leaving string of pearls in their litter box and I was worried about potential hairballs causing stasis. I offered them their favorite treats right after but they both refused to eat and stopped interacting with me. It’s been a week. I’m distraught that my bunnies hate me and only distantly interact with me when I serve them their daily veggie bowl. I love them with all my heart and want for nothing but to go back to how things were a few months ago when we’d cuddle and play. Am I being dramatic here? Will they ever trust me again? How can I reset this relationship?

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

They will trust you again! Lots of bunnies get really grumpy during molting, and mine get very annoyed with me when I’m constantly pestering them trying to pull out their bum- tufts.

Just to make sure there isn’t something medical going on, are they eating and pooping normally otherwise?

Honestly I would play “hard to get”. As prey animals, when rabbits are constantly focused on, they can feel threatened. So even if you are offering them treats, they might be thinking you are about to scoop them up for more grooming. I would keep up hand feeding when you can, but also spend lots of time laying on the ground near them ignoring them. If you can hand feed veggies that will help too.

Don’t worry! You did the right thing, tough love is necessary sometimes with bunnies!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Castor and Pollux
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

Thanks a lot, that’s reassuring advice!  Yes, they’re doing well in terms of diet and litter.  They’re free roam and have lots of zoomies everyday!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING How do I earn back lost trust?! :(