Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A how cold is too cold? and other outdoor ?’s

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Melissa
      Participant
      18 posts Send Private Message

So, I got my bun this past weekend, and I’m starting to itch to take her outside.  It’s been fairly cold, but no snow or rain.  How cold is too cold for a bun to go outside and play for awhile?  Also, I have a fence around the backyard, but I was wondering if I should put a harness on her.  She’s still getting used to us and sometimes gets nervous when we approach.  The last thing I want is to have to chase her around to get her back inside.  Do buns normally go back inside without a fuss?  One more thing…and this may be kinda dumb.  I was wondering if I should bring a litterbox outside.  Would going potty just anywhere outside mess with her litterbox habits?  I’m sorry if these questions seem silly, thanks in advance

• Gravehearted
        Participant
        2428 posts Send Private Message

Hi Mocha,

I don’t take my rabbits outside. The biggest concern is predators (like a bird swooping down, a cat or dog) fleas, mites and such. It just never seemed worth the risk to me, but there are people who choose to take their bunnies outdoors.

Rabbits don’t do well in extreme temperatures. I’m not sure where you live, but in most areas it would be awfully cold outside. Rabbits are most comfortable between about 45 – 75 degrees.

I would not recommend letting her out without either a leash or in an x-pen. Most rabbits don’t like harnesses or the idea of being walked, but some don’t mind it. If you simply put her down she could simply run away to never be seen again. Yes most bunnies will stick near their people, but there’s no guessing what she might do.

Also it’s important to know that the grass has not been fertilized and keep her away from any potentially poisonous plants.

• ScooterandAnnette
          Participant
          1090 posts Send Private Message

We’ve taken ours for "walks" in the snow.  They really like hopping around and digging in it.  I’m too lazy to upload the pics but there are a few shots in this montage:

bunny montage

– Annette

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

I have lived in an apartment the whole time I’ve had buns so have not been able to let them play outside – but I’d definitely recommend watching out for all of the things that Gravehearted mentioned, such as birds, or if your neighbors have dogs or something like that. I think it would be a good idea to keep her on a bunny safe harness, if she was having a good time OR if she got frightened, she might sneak into some tiny space under the house or in the fence and dissappear. I don’t think you need a litterbox outside, I have not heard people mentioning to use one when they take their buns out – just a harness and a VERY watchful eye!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

I’ve taken mine out only a couple of times,but I put them on a harness and just let the leash dangle. They were inside a fenced garden in a fenced yard…I am one paranoid momma!
                i do the same thing if my dog is allowed off leash, she has to have a leash attached to her coller, and I just let it dangle. That way if you need to catch them you can!
                I’d say its not how cold but how cold compared to your house temp…And just don’t keep them outside for too long!

• Melissa
                Participant
                18 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for the responses, everyone. 

Gravehearted, I apologize if I gave you the impression that I would take her into an area that wasn’t fenced without a harness of some sort.  We have a fenced-in backyard that I was thinking of letting her run around and play in.  Mites, I can’t say, but as for fleas, my dog doesn’t have any though in the spring it may be a different story   I’ll pick up some Revolution for her before springtime.  We don’t fertilize our backyard at all.  The only plant back there that may be poisonous is a small tree in the corner of the yard.  I have no idea what kind it is, so I can’t say.  If/when we take her out there, we’ll keep her far away from the tree.

ScooterandAnnette, thanks for the pictures.  You have some adorable buns!

Moobunnay, we do have hawks around here so I think I’ll get a harness for her.  I’ll ask her sponsor mom if she’s ever had one on.  As for the litterbox, I was pretty sure it was a silly question.  I just wasn’t sure if she’d get confused.

KokaneeandKahlua, I have to ask (because of the names)…are you in Hawaii? 

• MooBunnay
                  Participant
                  3087 posts Send Private Message

Not a silly question about the litterbox no such thing as a silly question with bunnies! I mean – considering the answer to almost all bunny related health problems is “keep an eye on their poops” – most questions don’t sound to silly.

I’m glad to hear you have a very protected backyard – do keep a very watchful eye for birds though, most of us that have worked in rescue have heard a horror story or two about a bunny getting scooped up by a bird, or being attacked by the neighbors dog and/or cat so we are very concerned about that, we don’t want you to be traumatized by anything!

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Just another note, I would not take them outside if there is more than a 20 degree difference between the inside and outside temperature. It can put them in shock and they could get sick. Watch out for signs of stress like freezing in place, abnormal breathing etc. Have a safe time outside!

Oh this is a good check list:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/outdoors.html

I keep thinking of things every time I post. LOL Watch out for toxic plants and leaves.  Bunnies will eat the grass and take nibbles of things so go over your yard with a fine-tooth comb and leash time or an x-penned area would be best.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A how cold is too cold? and other outdoor ?’s