Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How can I resist their cute faces…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • 2buns2luv
      Participant
      66 posts Send Private Message

I know it’s been a while since I last posted (life has been hectic) But I have a quick question.

As you guys know, my partner Jonathan and I have 2 female holland lops. Anyways today while at the pet store getting their bi-monthly supply of “bunny crack” It’s really called ecotrition, my girls go nuts over it each morning (it’s their breakfast) They’re like a pair of mini drug addicts wanting to get their hands on their drugs. Pretty funny to watch but anyhow I’m rambling.

At our local pet store there are a pair of holland lops, one male (2 yrs old) one female (3 yrs old) both have been neutered/spayed. The pet counsellor at the store said they had been surrendered to the humane society by their owner.  Jonathan and I would really like to adopt them as we think their chances of adoption at the pet store are slim (there’s babies bunnies there at the moment also) Plus we have the room and would happily welcome more “kids”. (yes i confess im hooked on bunnies!!!!!)

The bunnies at the pet store seemed extremely docile and very affectionate (of course we patted them haha) Do you think it would be possible to eventually bond all 4 bunnies? We would adopt only one of the pet store bunnies but the pet counsellor said they had been together for a while and I’d hate to separate them if they’re cage-mates.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S if it’s recommended that Jonathan and I don’t adopt these beautiful buns, if anyone is in the calgary area or knows of someone looking for a pair of buns to care for please post here and I can give details of where they are located. I’m not sure what will happen to these bunnies if someone doesn’t adopt them and to be honest it’s an awful thing to think of.

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi 2buns2luv, it has been a while! Welcome back! I will say that the more rabbtis that you throw into the equation of bonding, the more difficult it usually is. Would you be open to still having 4 rabbits (2 pairs) that have separate housing with runs? You are probably right that they will have a hard time being placed in a good home, especially like you said with baby bunnies available and that is too sweet you are hooked on rabbits as well now. We do our best here on Binky Bunny to create more house-rabbit addicts. Very cute info on your grils’ addiction to their food!

• 2buns2luv
          Participant

I think we could possibly split our “bunny run” in half. Might need to post some pictures to explain their current housing. we started out with Luna, then about 2 months later we adopted Shadow. their bonding experience was pretty easy. They only had to be separated due to fighting once. Now they follow each other around, especially if they’re trying to “sneak” into the bedroom which is a no no zone. I will try to post a picture if my technological kowledge will allow me (im still a novice at using my camera)

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

It would be great to see some pictures! I really don’t want you to take on more rabbits if it is going to make things harder for you. It’s mostly that if you are prepared and able to handle that possibility because in a perfect world we all want our rabbits to bond together and get along famously, however *reality check* it’s not too often that happens.

• 2buns2luv
              Participant

battery dead on camera, go figure…. Measurments of the girls house is approximately 8 ft long, 4 1/2 ft wide (it’s a dog xpen that we have folded out and fixed to a wall by eye hooks)

• JK
                Participant
                2223 posts Send Private Message

Hi there – Scarlet Rose makes some good points. However,  I would hate to separate the two buns at the pet store if they have been together and I agree finding homes for them will be difficult. Just figure out if  you could really take on another 2 rabbits. This is why I can’t go into pet stores!!! They would all come home with me.  I can’t stand looking at their hopeful little faces.  But we can’t save them ALL!! Good luck with your decision and let us know what you end up doing!

• rabbitsmba
                  Participant
                  475 posts Send Private Message

Bonding all four might be a big challenge and you might be better off keeping them as two bonded pairs. I have two bonded pairs and there is NO WAY they will all bond together – just too many different personalities.

And if you are getting them, get them together – don’t break up a bonded pair. It can be devastating for a bunny to lose a mate. Either get them both or don’t get any.

That’s really nice that you are thinking of welcoming them into your home. And with them already being altered, that’s a nice bonus!

• ScooterandAnnette
                    Participant
                    1090 posts Send Private Message

We’ve got 6 buns right now, 4 in an enclosure together and 2 that are separated from them (but together). We’ve only had the 2 for a few weeks and bonding is goin slowly because we’re getting ready to move but our plan is to have all 6 of them in together eventually.
                      – Annette

• Beka27
                      Participant
                      16016 posts Send Private Message

it’s possible, but you’re not going to know the new buns true personalities until they are at home and settled in. i think that if you can afford it and have the space for them to be separate forever, do it. once they settle in you could try bonding them, but don’t be surprised if it does not work out.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

Welcome back! I’d say with bunnies anything is possible…even the chance that they may never get along or hey, they could even divide into different groups of two. If your prepared for any way it goes-then I say “add more to the family !! “

• skunklionshow
                          Participant
                          1257 posts Send Private Message

Definately think this through…if you are sure you can handle your own warren, including the additional vet expenses and the possibility that you might only have 2 bonded pairs….then go for it.  I got my Oreo Cookie girl for someone needing to rehome after taking on a few too many rabbits that would not bond.  She could no longer deal w/ having 3 separate cages for 7 bunnies.

So think it all through and discuss and plan accordingly.  Another thing to consider, sorry I don’t want to sound so negative…is what you would do if you and your significant other ever separate.  I just think of that b/c I know that has happened frequently w/ some of us.  I know for myself, it was something I never really considered until my (now ex) husband and I were trying to decide how to divide up our cat pride.  Let me tell you that that first year w/ my four cat was a financially draining year.  My ex was a vet nurse, so I never had to pay for vet care.  I got slammed once he no longer had that responsibility and I never considered that would happen.

I think if you do decide that you can handle it all, I too suggest taking the bonded pair.  Bonded rabbits can actually go through depression when separated from their bunny mate.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A How can I resist their cute faces…