Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE How can I go about helping this lady with her bun?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mimzy
      Participant
      599 posts Send Private Message
        I bunny sat for a lady not too long ago, she had a male uneutered holland lop who was pretty friendly, very active but also very destructive (which I think was because he was not fixed)

She texted me today telling me that they could no longer keep him as they don’t have the time for him & it’s becoming a hassle. I personally don’t know that I want this bunny particularly, & if it would be a good idea for me to keep him in the first place. However, I don’t mind trying to help her, but it’s a little difficult if he’s not fixed? I was thinking I could just take him in for her & basically “foster” him while I find a home, but I am not about to pay for someone else’s bunny to get neutered & I honestly don’t think she’s willing to have it done especially if they’re looking to find him a new home.

I talked with the rescue shelter I just signed up with & they won’t take him since he’s not exactly a priority. I guess in a way I could just decide it’s not my problem, tell her no, & forget about it, but that’s still hard for me to do If I take him in & find him a home, should I just make the “adoption fee” the same price as his neuter as to make up for having to pay for it?

What would you guys do

• kurottabun
        Participant
        908 posts Send Private Message

Saying that they don’t have time or it’s a hassle most likely indicates that they are already uninterested in keeping him, which means that the bunny may not be very well taken of if he is left there.

I’ve seen people on Petfinder mention outright that “interested adopters must be willing to pay for the neuter/spay of the pet”. So it’s not impossible, and I’d think that someone who is serious about adopting or genuinely cares for the bun (knowing that he is displaying destructive behaviours due to hormones etc.) would willingly pay for it. It may also be a good way to filter out people who are less responsible.

That’s if you don’t mind fostering a destructive bunny until (and if) he finds a home though, since neutering is not the only cost that comes with that.

• Sonn
          Participant
          1810 posts Send Private Message

I’ve not done this with rabbits. But I had a litter of kittens that I ended up hand raising and I just flat out said whoever wanted to adopt one would meet me at the vets office the day of the spay/neuter appointment and pay for it as well as their first checkup and shots. This deterred a lot of people who would have likely used them for other things or not taken care of them properly. Those who did show up have been amazing pet owners.

• MoxieMeadows
            Participant
            5375 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have much advice. I am wayyy too soft hearted and a pushover when it comes to animals in need. But I agree with the others, I don’t think it is too much to ask for the adopter to pay for the neuter of the rabbit. It would help ensure that whoever wanted to adopt him, was serious, and looking for a companion, rather than a novelty, or breeding stock.

• MountainBuns
              Participant
              513 posts Send Private Message

I would go ahead and make the adopter pay for the neuter fee. As mentioned earlier this helps filter the more responsible owners out.

• Mimzy
                Participant
                599 posts Send Private Message
                  She found a home for him! The lady’s friend is going to take the bunny. I guess the only downside is not knowing if it will ever be neutered but that’s not my business anymore. G;ad he found a home though. Hopefully they DO get him fixed, otherwise, he may get rehomed again if they weren’t expecting that behavior.

I may shoot her a text about neutering that she can possibly forward the message to her friend. Maybe her friend would be willing to get it done

• MountainBuns
                  Participant
                  513 posts Send Private Message

Yay! Hopefully he has a good life!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE How can I go about helping this lady with her bun?