Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Hormonal behavior???

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • becmed
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

Any and all advice is appreciated!!! I am a new to the rabbit world and adopted a 1 & 1/2yr old male lion head mix. He is pretty friendly and even lets me pet him sometimes and allos me to pick him up to put him back in the cage. He has an appointment to be neutered in a week but he is trying my nerves. I have only had him 4days and I am unable to sit in the room with him bc he immediately sprays me and runs circles around me. I understand that this means he loves me, which on some level is great but he he is leaving pellets everywhere, peeing, and circling me obsessively. I did notice that his droppings aren’t as bad if I just sit on the couch, with my feet propped up, and he actually peed in the litter box outside of his cage this am instead of the floor. (I let him run in a barricaded living room when I am home) He hops out of cage as soon as I open the door and follows me around while I am in the room with him. Everything I have read says to sit with them and let them come to you. I don’t have that problem… Apparent I am the object of his obsession. He also does a low humming sound as he circles me. Please tell me that this will stop once he neutered. I haven’t had the few months getting to know him and bond with before he went crazy. He literally is driven by his hormones. I had a feeling that he was surrendered to the shelter due to something of this nature but I didn’t think that it would start this soon. Since I can’t sit on the floor with him, bc he sprays me several times, is he OK if I am just on the same room with him. Is that bonding for him? He wants to get on the couch with me but I won’t allow him until he starts using the litter box consistently. He is such a sweet rabbit. Very curious and I think will be very loving once he is neutered. I did read the article about what to do to help curb his obsession with me to a stuffed animal but I am worrried that due to his age he still may be crazy afterward and i will never be able to bond with appropriately. He hasn’t shown a lot of interest in his hay either. I am trying different kinds though and I have different toys that he could care less about. Thank you from a very worried bunny mom.

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

We feel for you, but hang in there because most of it is definitely hormonal behavior that will abate after his neuter. Be aware that it may not change a lot for about a month, but as the hormones stop and as he gets older he will mellow in the spraying, circling ways. He may always love you, and that’s a good thing!

For now, since he is so new to his environment, you can let him out of his habitat for shorter periods of supervised time. If you can get him to use his litter box, you can give him a tiny treat when he does to start positive reinforcement training. Not every time though. Praise him every time verbally to keep him using it, however. A stuffed animal will probably help, and help you get through the next week. If you let him out for about an hour twice a day, it will be enough exercise for now. He will have to be careful not to jump up after the neuter for another week anyway. It’s OK to let him explore his new home gradually.

It is wonderful of you to adopt him – you’re probably right that he was abandoned due to the Terrible Teens. He will mellow into a healthy, active bunny who will play with you but will not spray you and might not honk or run circles, though if he does it’s just a sign of continuing affection. (not spraying, though. If that keeps up, talk to your vet about it.) I think you will have many years of a sweet bunny!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
          Participant
          2512 posts Send Private Message

Whew, happy to hear that his operation will be soon. Your rabbit is super hormonal at the moment. It is of course very annoying for you, but even more annoying for him. He is immensely frustrated at the moment, luckily the operation will change that very soon.

I’d advice you to put him in a pen until the operation, to prevent him turning your home into a pigsty. Link the pen to his cage so he has a bit of room to get in and out of his cage. Cover the floor of the pen with newspapers or other sturdy material that you can throw away easily.

• becmed
            Participant

Thank you so much for your encouragement and advice. I have put puppy pads down with a sheet over them to protect my floor. It seems be working. He actually ate half of his hay today!! I am so excited. I mixed the Timothy hay with a mixture of other hay. The stuffed animal has helped turn his attention from me to a point but anything that will help I will take.
              Although as I type this he is digging at my feet and gently biting on them. You can really feel the love in this place. ? I look forward to him calming down. He seems to be happy though. He does the binkys and runs around so at least he is enjoying himself outside of the cage. This site has really helped give me some ideas and knowledge. Thanks again!

• becmed
              Participant

I don’t know if you guys will see this response but wanted to give you an update on Pellets. He had his surgery and hasn’t sprayed since!!!! I am shocked actually. He has only had two accidents but it was only after he had a fresh litter box and he decided hat he wants to pee beside instead of in it. His wonderful loving self is the same but he is a totally different bunny! He is going on 3 weeks post surgery and doing great and I have even been able to open up his space so that he can play more. Thank again for your encouragement bc I really needed it when I got him. He is such a calm and loving rabbit. I look forward to many years of loving my sweet Pellets!

• Ellie from The Netherlands
                Participant
                2512 posts Send Private Message

That’s wonderful news! Spraying is typically hormonal behaviour, and with most rabbits it’s completely gone after the surgery.
                  Happy to hear that he’s a lot calmer and less frustrated, he’ll thank you for it as well. You may notice an increase in appetite now that he’s fixed, so watch out for weight gain. Be sure to offer plenty of hay and low-calorie greens to still any hunger pangs.

Enjoy your bun!

• becmed
                  Participant

Thank you for the advice. He eats slot more hay now which makes me happy. I could barely get him to eat it when I first got him. I did take some advice that I had read on here though and didn’t give him any pellets for three days and now he only gets them once I get home. I call it rabbit crack. Haha He thinks they are treats now instead of a meal. He is literally laying on me, while I pet him, as I type this. It is so nice! Love this little guy.

• sarahthegemini
                    Participant
                    5584 posts Send Private Message

Aw what a wonderful outcome Glad to hear it!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Hormonal behavior???