Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS homemade rabbit toys

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    • kamdynandsunshinesmom
      Participant
      910 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have alot of money to go out and buy my rabbit bunny toys. So I was wondering if anyone has any good homemade toys that I could make for my bunny? Thanks

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

Yes, you have one right in your bathroom – toilet paper rolls!
          Once it is empty of, ahem, paper, it is a great toy. Toss it, roll it, watch your bunny pick it up, chew it, chase it. The best. Very safe cardboard, too.

If you check out the Toys forum, plus look at the Toys Test section of the Bunny Info portion of the banner above, you will see many suggestions of homemade toys for bunnies. The next one I thought of immediately is a diggy box. Get an empty cardboard box or a plain wicker basket and shred some newspaper or plain paper into it. The bunny will jump in and dig. You can hide a treat or two in there for bunny to find to make it interesting.

Also, a big yellow pages is an excellent toy. The ink is safe because it’s soy based, and bunny will want to tear at the pages, chew them, pull them around.

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

I will (or someone else will) move this to the “Habitats and Toys” section within the next day… so if you don’t see it here, check there. ;o)

This is a great article from HRS that talks about different styles of play and options to satisfy each…

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-6/chew-stick.html

• Elrohwen
            Participant
            7318 posts Send Private Message

I think homemade toys are best! My rabbits don’t bother with most of the things I buy them.

Cardboard boxes are one of the best things you can give a bunny – they can satisfy digging and chewing instincts, while providing a place to hideout and sleep. Phone books are also great for digging and ripping at.

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

Cardboard boxes are very easy to come by (especially for us since we have wholesale club memberships) and once they get all chewed up, you can just toss ’em and replace with a new one. Try cutting two openings in it (carefully!) so they can run thru.

• kamdynandsunshinesmom
                Participant
                910 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much I didn’t realize there was a toy page to post thank you for telling me!

• EmilyRabbit
                  Participant
                  34 posts Send Private Message

You can always tie together some hay, they love that. Also, if you get a small box and put holes in it with treats inside they can toss it around get treats as a reward for being a smart bunny!

• Lani
                    Participant
                    305 posts Send Private Message

Almost all of Oreo’s toys are from around the house. She has an old tissue box full of hay, a cardboard egg carton with hay and a few treats inside, a brown paper bag with hay and treats inside (poke some holes so they can smell the treats), old blankets/towels and a large quaker oats tube with the ends taken off so it’s a like a tunnel. She’s been really good about not chewing on the stuff with dyed cardboard, it must not smell as delicious as regular cardboard or something. She also really loves to dig at plastic bags, I think she likes the sound. But I only let her do this when I’m very closely supervising and can take it away quickly if she tries to nibble on it.

I’ve found she just doesn’t really care about store bought toys so I just try random new (safe) things that I’d normally throw out. If she plays with it, it stays. If not, into the trash. How easy is that?!

• Monkeybun
                      Participant
                      10479 posts Send Private Message

Sometimes I’ll give the buns a toilet paper roll WITH the TP on it still, and watch them have a blast shredding it. It’s rather fun to watch Monkey try to beat it up

• Dee
                        Participant
                        704 posts Send Private Message

I’ve also founf that my bunnies love toilet paper or paper towel rolls with hay stuffed in them. Cardbourd boxes have always been a favorite too- cut a couple doors in it and you have a bunny hideout- they like to sit on top of them too. Another thing I’ve done s to fill an empty plastic soda bottle with uncooked pasta, then put them cap back on firmly- they use it as a rattle, rolling it around and pawing at it. Nelli loves to make noise, so that’s a big hit with her. Big paper grocery bags are fun too- the bunnies like to chew them and hide in them. Childrens wooden blocks are good- BunBun loves for me to build a tower for him, then hit it with his nose and knock it down. It just has to be a small tower since I doubt he would appreciate a block falling on his head or toe .
                          Have fun!

• LittlePuffyTail
                          18092 posts Send Private Message

I make treat bags for my bunnies and the bunnies at the animal shelter:

Take a paper bag, fill with hay and assorted treats (dried fruit, flower petals, pellets). You can even add something like an apple chew twig or a cat ball with a bell. Tie it with a piece of hay or twist the top to close.

Very cheap and fun!

• laurwhite
                            Participant
                            9 posts Send Private Message

Banana loves paper towels (the more quilted the better!). He shreds them up, tosses them around, eats them, and sometimes lays on them. All it takes is one peice!

Cheap and easy bordom solution.

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS homemade rabbit toys