Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Homemade Rabbit Pellets

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marzipan The Bunny
      Participant
      73 posts Send Private Message

Ok, so I admit, I’ve been going kind of crazy about Mars’s pellets. I’ve tried multiple pellet brands and all of them contain some ingredients that I really don’t want my baby eating. I’ve been looking for a while and I literally can’t find and pellet brand that has good ingredients so I’m considering making them myself. The problem is, I can’t find any website with the recipe. Is there a way you can make pellets or am I just going to have to settle with store bought pellets?

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

Making pellets yourself would be tricky I think. You’d need some way of compressing the ingredients under high pressure.

Rabbits don’t absolutely need pellets. The most important rabbit food is hay. Many of us here use pellets more like a supplement to hay and greens. This works fine for healthy adult rabbits. The hay should of course be good quality and it’s best if you can feed a variety of different grasses.

• Marzipan The Bunny
          Participant

Yeah, I guess it would be tricks making homemade pellets. Mars has unlimited hay and 2 cups of assorted veggies a day, and i took out his pellets for a few months but i read that pellets have a lot of vitamins and minerals that rabbits need. Is there any way I could give him like a supplement instead of pellets?

• tobyluv
            Participant
            3310 posts Send Private Message

Oxbow makes a multi vitamin supplement, but it likely has some of the same ingredients that are in their pellets. Are there any particular ingredients that you are trying to avoid? Here is the ingredient list and nutritional info on their multi vitamin supplements:

Timothy Grass, Barley Flour, Oat Groat Flour, Cane Molasses, Flax Seed Meal, Choline Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate (Vitamin C), Guar Gum, Vitamin E Supplement, Rice Hulls, Fat Product, Mixed Tocopherols (preservative), Calcium Carbonate, Niacin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Mineral Oil, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (min): 10.00%
              Crude Fat (min): 5.00%
              Crude Fiber (min): 8.00%
              Crude Fiber (max): 12.00%
              Moisture (max): 8.00%
              Ash (max): 7.00%
              Calcium (min): 0.30%
              Calcium (max): 0.50%
              Phosphorus (min): 0.30%
              Copper (min): 10 mg/kg
              Vitamin A (min): 200 IU
              Vitamin D3 (min): 20 IU
              Vitamin E (min): 1 IU:
              Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)(min): 5 mg
              Omega 3 Fatty Acids (min): 1.20%
              Omega 6 Fatty Acids (min): 1.40%

Here is one comparison chart of rabbit pellets that lists the ingredients. I’m not sure if it’s completely up to date or not, but it might include some pellets you haven’t seen before.

http://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Rabbit_pellets_comparison_charts

• FlemishDad
              Participant
              114 posts Send Private Message

The longest lived bunny ever, 17 years, ate nothing but hay. Rabbits only need pellets to get big fast for meat or fur farmers, or if there is some particular medical/nutritional issue. They can get most vitamins from their cecals, and hay is good for minerals. If you have a nice mix of veggies, and i will bet you do based on how concientious you are, he is already getting a great diet. If he loses a lot of weight *then* add some pellets.

• DanaNM
                8901 posts Send Private Message

Which ingredients are you concerned about? Pellets are really only a supplement, so wondering why you are concerned with feeding a small amount.

I have read that pellet free buns should get a variety of hays and at least 10 dif veggies per day. You will also want to track weight to make sure she isn’t losing.

My older buns eat a lot of hay and get a ton of veggie variety (probably more variety than most buns), but still lose weight if they don’t get just a small amount of pellets (I give my two buns, 5 and 9 lbs, about 1/2 cup total per day).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Marzipan The Bunny
                  Participant

I’m more concerned about the cane molasses and soybean products. He only got 1/4 of a cup when i still fed him pellets and is probably going to get an 1/8 if i reintroduce it but i’m worried about feeding any of those to him in general

• tobyluv
                    Participant
                    3310 posts Send Private Message

Oxbow’s Garden Select is a relatively new pellet in their product line, and it doesn’t contain molasses or soy.

http://oxbowanimalhealth.com/our-products/fortified-food/garden-select-adult-rabbit-food

• DanaNM
                      8901 posts Send Private Message

I think Sherwood also makes a soy free pellet, but it has alfalfa as the first ingredient.

I’m not sure I am convinced by their marketing that it’s OK to feed alfalfa based pellets (soy and alfalfa are legumes, so I don’t really see the difference), but it might be worth discussing these things with your vet.

I recently watched a video of a lecture at the house rabbit society conference where she discusses the current state of knowledge on rabbit nutrition and pellet ingredients. I’d be happy to share it with you in a private message if you’re interested.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Homemade Rabbit Pellets