Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Homemade critical care

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • BZOO
      Participant
      327 posts Send Private Message

Watched a video about making your own CC.  Guy just pulverized his Guinea Pigs regular food.  He’d also add a bit of mashed banana at tip of syringe for extra flavor.  Piggy loved it!

Since CC and Sherwood’s Recovery food is impossible to get right now, I’m giving it a try.  Still trying to get a little weight on Walter, I mix this with organic whole oatmeal.

I added a small handful of freeze dried fruit for taste and may add some apple or banana baby food.

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

The main problem when you make homemade CC is in the pulverising. Its often difficult to get the grind so fine that it goes through a syringe without  clogging the tip.

I’ve used a pestle and mortar and I’ve used two (small) slabs of granite that I ground the pellets between. Then I worked the ground pellets through a sieve to sift out bigger bits that could clog the feeding syringe. Pretty hard work, but during the first months of the pandemic, there was a CC shortage here and my bun needed CC once per day to keep weight on.

Buns often take their CC more readily if you mix in a little bit of sth yummy 😃

• BZOO
            Participant
            327 posts Send Private Message

Hadn’t thought of that, as I’m using a dish.  But I did get it well powdered in a really good blender.

I was a little excited when I found the video because I’m an idjit and grinding pellets never crossed my mind.  With 24 critters, it helps to save some money when you can.🙂

• Bam
            16838 posts Send Private Message

I wore out the blades on my good blender pretty quickly 😬 So I had to resort to manual grinding 🤣

It’s abdolutely a very good idea to try and save some money where possible  when you have many pets.

• Jadeo09
              Participant
              83 posts Send Private Message

My buns gut coped much better with more coarse critical care. Plus critical care isnt grain free and she has an intolerance to it.

I would grind her hay, dried weeds and dried parsley in a nut grinder so that they were almost powder but still had some larger strands in which really aids gut movement.  I would add warm water and roll them into little paste balls. Very sloppy and messy but she loved them if the were fresh and warm and would lick them off my fingers. It worked much better than syringe feeding for her gut. But there were times when she was so ill I had to syringe feed her watery pellets as they dont block a syringe and she was not even standing by herself at the time and had no interest in the balls.

If you feed them pellets they will usually recognise the smell of them when soaked and eat them without having to “bunny burrito” them. Especially if you dip the end in a little banana to get them going.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Homemade critical care