Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Holding bunnies!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • luna
      Participant
      147 posts Send Private Message

When i was younger i had rabbits and all but one didnt mind being held. I was very confident with handling them, cutting their nails etc. This is when I was 14 to 19 years of age. I feel that as the time has passed and i havent had animals for a while that i have lost my nerve over the years and am more wary of getting bitten, scratched etc. Just as it takes some time to gain an animals trust i feel it takes some time for them to gain mine if that makes any sense.But once i get to know them and get to know their temperament im totally fine and feel more comfortable about knowing what they like etc.

Im not sure if im doing something wrong or the bunnies are picking up on my nerves but i find they are less open to handling now than they were when i first got them. The first day i got Henry and picked him out of his box he let me hold him for ages and was really cuddly. It was the same the second day and then as soon as he became curious about his environment and got to explore he would scramble to get down as soon as id take him out.

The very same thing happened wih Poppy. In the breeders house she let me hold her for ages and the same in my house the following few days. Now that she has explored she will not let me hold her either. She is scrambling to be free straight away. Both bunnies are really affectionate and Poppy in particular will always take the submissive chin to the ground position even if i am just walking by her. Henry will be affectionate when it suits him. Its always on his terms but when he wants a pet he lets you know all about it… Lol!

I guess my question is were they only letting me hold them for that long the first couple of days because they were nervous and were frozen in that position rather than relaxed? Or am i doing something wrong and they just went off me handling them because they picked up on my nerves?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

it is a misconception that bunnies love to be held and cuddled. they are portrayed and marketed that way (the whole “baby easter bunny in a basket” nonsense) but they are prey animals and being held means they’ve been “caught”…

i would say yes, it was nerves and fear of the “unknown” (you)… there’s a big difference betw/ rabbits who will *tolerate* being held and those who actually *enjoy* it… mine will tolerate it, but they don’t enjoy it. i know they don’t like it so i try to get my cuddles done with quickly. for the most part i interact with them on their terms, on the floor or when they come up to me for affection.

another thing is age… baby bunnies are more tolerant of being held b/c they’re babies and hormones have not intruded yet. you can hold a 1 year old human baby and they will find comfort in that, but good luck trying to get a hug from a cranky 13 year old teenager, it’s just not gonna happen… lol! (no offense intended towards our under-18ers… i too was a cranky teenager not so many years ago! lmao!)

this even happens at rescues/shelters with adult buns. you go and hold the bunny and they allow it, you get’em home and a couple days later it’s like they’re a totally different bun.

• Cassi&Charlie
          Participant
          1260 posts Send Private Message

Maybe intitially they were love starved and felt safer with you holding them but now that they’re more relaxed and feel at home, they no longer want to be picked up.

My bunnies were the same and one of them now tolerates being picked up & I’m still working on the other one, who thinks that I’m going to eat her every time I try to pick her up. I just pick her up firmly once a day and give her a small treat when I put her down. So now, even though she tries to escape when I pick her up, she also hangs aroundmy feet when I put her down until she gets her treat.

• jerseygirl
            22345 posts Send Private Message

Confidence is key for when you do have to pick them up. Mine also was ok about being held when very young – but then the independance kicks in!

• PeppersMama
              Participant
              391 posts Send Private Message

mine loved being held as a bunny, then around 3 months he stopped liking it, but i continued to pick him up anyway and i would always give him a treat like a raisin after he was set down. Soon he understood that if he just tolerated it he would get a treat as soon as i was done holding him. then i got him neutered and now a month and a half later, he doesnt mind being picked up at all. he rather seems to like it. i pick him up and set him in my lap or lay on the bed and he will snuggle into my arm near my armpit and i will pet him and he tooth purrs. Im not sure why he likes to cuddle but he does, so maybe it just depends on the bun. or maybe its because he thinks he will get a raisin! lol!

• sweetbluebun
                Participant
                102 posts Send Private Message

I noticed that too with my neutered bunny, he never really liked being handled much before it, but afterwards he just turned into such a sweetie pie.  He absolutely loves being petted and will come right up to me for cuddles.  He also likes being held and petted on the head now.  He even starts falling asleep in my lap he gets so relaxed.

My little holland though is another story completely, he seems very hand shy.  He will come right up to me when my hands are away but as soon as he sees some fingers he sprints away.  As long as I keep my hands fisted he is alright, but once he sees fingers he freaks out.  I’m trying to get him used to handling (just because I need to be able to for clipping nails and cutting the hair around his bum).  I just pick him up and put him down right away.  I never chase him, if I don’t get him at the first “scoop” I’ll stop and just sit with him a bit then walk away so he doesn’t associate me with something negative (bunnies are very smart that way).  I agree with the advice on here, confidence will get you a long with bunnies and many other pets for that matter

• skunklionshow
                  Participant
                  1257 posts Send Private Message

LMAO…..it has nothing to do w/ the rabbit!  It is a fact that as we human folk get older we become less bold and likely to do things.  Unfortunately it’s a survival technique, survival of the fittest after all.  Example:  When I was in my mid-late 20’s I found my old roller skates at my parent’s house, pom-poms & all.  I laced them up and headed out.  I was so freaked out about falling and breaking a bone.  Having to interupt my schedule w/ going to the hospital.  Having crappy medical insurance.  Missing work.  After doing the 3 yr old shoo shoo crawl for 30 minutes and only moving 2 feet.  I dumped them into the donation bin. 

• jerseygirl

^ ^

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

^^ LOL

Definitely has to do with confidence! They may not initially like being picked up since they are prey animals, but you can always work on it; Its hard when your both nervous though!

Practice sitting on the ground, that way if they do jump you won’t hurt them. That may take care of your nervousness too! Let us know how your making out

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

It’s true, that rabbits, for the most, part  especially as they get older, do not like to be held. (though there are the rare few that some members have the pleasure of enjoying) But like Beka said, many can tolerate it, which is different than enjoying it. 

But it is good to at least get them to tolerate it once you have their trust so you can do nail trims, etc, without it being so stressful for both of you. Regarding feeling less confident about it as we age – Teenagers brains are still growing and I think the “consequences” aspect may not be fully developed. So now, being older, we are more aware of the what can happen to them and/or to us if a rabbit decides to “fight” being held.

Also, what is your method of picking up, maybe there is something we can suggest that can make it better for both of you.

Note: The nose to the ground doesn’t always mean submssive – it can also be a dominant move – a request to be groomed. Is she looking cautious – sort of hunched up when she puts her head to the ground – or does she make a move to lean forward as she puts her head to the ground.

• BunnyBuns7
                          Participant
                          132 posts Send Private Message

I truly believe that animals can sense how you’re feeling. I also rememeber reading that the chin to the ground thing, and if their ears are held to there body is a sign of fear. When you’re nervious, they’re nervous. I recommend wearing long sleeves and long pants when handling them. My bunny usually doesn’t nip very hard. I’ve only had it hurt once. Try just relaxing. Be alert to their body language, but don’t be fearful. I’d say 98 percent of the time you can read what they’re gong to do by their body language. If you’re still nervous, try puttting a big blanket in your lap and have your bunny nuzzle in it. that way your arms are even more protected and you can teach them that they can trust being with you.

Secondly, it could be that they just want to explore now. First time i took Lily outside to play, she curled up next to me or just hopped around me. Now she could care less that I’m there and wants to see how far she can go. So I think as they get older and know that their enviroment is safe, they want to explore it endlessly.

Kayla

• luna
                            Participant
                            147 posts Send Private Message

Thanks so much everyone for all the really helpful advice. I really appreciate it and am going to take it all on board. I am much more comfortable around Poppy in the last few days and try to pick her up at least once a day. I place her on the table and groom her. Then i put her on the ground and give her a little treat. I really do think she just wants to explore because as soon as she gets on the floor she runs over to Henry and then flies around the room binkying like crazy so it doesnt seem like she is nervous?

I am still not so sure whether she likes being petted yet. As soon as anyone approaches her she flattens her head to the ground and stretches out her body. When i stop petting she stays in that position for about 10 seconds and then hops around again. She does alot of pushing with her nose…and any time i am doing something she comes straight up investigating and has to be in the middle of it. I love her personality I have taken some pics of her and will post them now. The network is a bit busy so hopefully i will get them up okay! Thanks again for all your kind and reassuring words. It means alot to me xx

• jerseygirl

Oh, that habit of putting her head down would be a request for grooming! If she didn’t want that, she’d hop away as soon as she read your intent. They’ll often melt into a puddle when you groom them!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Holding bunnies!