Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Himalyan Rabbit Age

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Ajpp50
      Participant
      35 posts Send Private Message

Hi I adopted a himalayian girl rabbit on april from the humane society.  I was told at the time that she was 1 1/2 yrs old. About a week ago I noticed that she was starting to change. She used to have a lot of brown fur across her nose and most of it had fallen out only her nose and right above remained brown also her feet have started to turn grey, her ears dark which were white and her dewlap had grey and now it’s turning white.  What I was wondering about was do himalayians take almost two years to start getting their permanent color in or could she be younger.  I also noticed her body has changed which I just attiributed to a poor diet  at the humane society – she was only getting hay and a lot of pellets no veggies- but she was quiet lumpy and now she is a slimmed down aero dynamic version of her former self.

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

Hi Ajpp50, and welcome to BinkyBunny!

I am sorry that I can’t really answer your question, as I have never taken care of a Himmie.  I do know that many bunnies will change the color and/or texture of their fur as they go through big shed cycles, perhaps your bunny is changing color because of that.  Also, a change in environment can change their fur, such as moving from an outdoor living arrangement to an indoor arrangement.

• kimberleyanddarren
          Participant
          2520 posts Send Private Message

Im not sure about this breed, but rabbits do change colour, my bunny Hopscotch used to be a very light brown when we got him, now he is more of a dark honey colour and if you look closely he does have patches of dark brown coming through (probably will be visible after his next shed) so i think a rabbit can change colour at any time. Also sometimes rabbits will just go through slimmer/fatter stages, as long as she is eating drinking and pooping fine i cant see there being anything wrong with her, its important not to over feed her also if she looses weight this doesnt mean she is unhealthy, Daxter has about 1/2 weeks where he is really chubby then he goes back to normal afterwards, the vet said this was normal and nothing to worry about.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! THey definitely change color-especially when shedding. That’s wonderful she’s lost some weight and is healthier

• Sarita
              Participant
              18851 posts Send Private Message

I have had many Californians including the 2 I have now and their points change frequently with the seasons. My understanding is that it has something to do with the changes in the daylight (how long there is daylight) – I cannot remember where I heard that though but it makes sense to me if that is true.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Himalyan Rabbit Age