Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE Herbal calming remedy for dogs… toxic to bunnies?!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Barbie
      Participant
      1581 posts Send Private Message

So I came across a website selling “Calming Collars”.  The woman that makes them promotes them for dogs and cats, and I was considering getting one to help Nick with his over-excitement around other dogs on our walks (he’s totally fine around the bunnies and in the house, it’s just when we’re out on a walk ON LEASE – he’s fine at the dog park – that all bets are off and he goes bezerk becasue he wants to play so badly!)  I emailed the woman and she replied that she puts only lavender, chamomile and balsam in the collars.  I didn’t find lavender or chamomile on the HRS list of toxic plants, but it did say balsam pear…. not sure if that’s different… I have no experience with herbs or plants really, so I was looking for some help if anyone knows if thats ok for bunnies?  The buns won’t be eating it, but since Nick will be wearing the collar about 20 minutes prior to our walks and then during the walks I just want to make sure that the time he spends wearing the collar inside before the walk won’t harm the bunnies.

Thanks! 

• Karla
        Participant
        1624 posts Send Private Message

That won’t be a problem.

I used to use a DAP collar on our dog, but it had no effect. I am no enthusiast when it comes to those collars now.

Our dog was over-excited about other dogs in the beginning as well. What we did was simply not let him talk to other dogs for 3-4 weeks on our walks (of course, he had arranged play dates a couple of times a week with different dogs instead), so he learned that there was no reason to get over-excited about the other dogs because he didn’t get to play with them anyhow. It really worked. And it’s cheaper than a collar. I am not saying that the collar may not work, but I have just spent so much money myself on all kinds of stuff like that that never worked that I had to suggest something else

Best of luck.

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

interesting… i have never heard of that! nor if it’s harmful to bunnies.

bogart has always been ridiculously excited around other dogs too. he’s just wants to play so badly. so i’ve had the same problem… at the off leash park it’s cool because he gets to play but on leash… oh gees. i have had success diverting his attention from other dogs while we walk on leash. when he sees another on-leash dog approaching i get him to sit / heal / sit / heal and keep his focus on me until the other dog has passed. sometimes i have to block his view of the other dog to make this work. but it does work pretty well actually. maybe you can try it if the collar doesn’t work as well as you hope? good luck!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

I think that should be fine-buns aren’t eating it

I’d definitely say try what you can! Have you tried any of the anxiety wraps (Body or face), the DAP spray, rescue remedy etc. We tried a collar like the one your describing -I found it had such a strong scent I had to throw it out because I was sick. AND it didn’t work and Mikey wanted to eat it lol. But we’ve had some really big success with Thunder Shirts, and for low key anxiety rescue remedy has put a dent in it. We are ordering DAP to try, read in several behavior journals many are having success but again some people see no results . Jean Donaldson has some great tecniques and explanations for the ‘crazies’ and ‘anxiety’ in dogs-I really like ‘Dogs are from Neptune’ if your interested.

• Barbie
              Participant

Thanks guys!

Karla, yea, that’s part of the reason I’m hesitating. I hate to buy things and find out that the don’t work.

BBM, yes, I do that too with Nick already. I make him sit and watch me as the other dog walks past. Most of the time it works – sorta – if I have a treat. Keeps him from lunging and barking, but he still whines, lol. And no, I don’t let him greet other dogs on our walks. I usually cross to the other side of the street if I see a dog coming.

KK, thanks for the book suggestion, I think I’ll try it out. Let me know if the DAP spray works! My vet clinic has DAP difusers in their kennels for the dogs that board there so… that has to say something, right?

• Barbie
                Participant

Thanks guys!

Karla, yea, that’s part of the reason I’m hesitating. I hate to buy things and find out that the don’t work.

BBM, yes, I do that too with Nick already. I make him sit and watch me as the other dog walks past. Most of the time it works – sorta – if I have a treat. Keeps him from lunging and barking, but he still whines, lol. And no, I don’t let him greet other dogs on our walks. I usually cross to the other side of the street if I see a dog coming.

KK, thanks for the book suggestion, I think I’ll try it out. Let me know if the DAP spray works! My vet clinic has DAP difusers in their kennels for the dogs that board there so… that has to say something, right?

• mrmac
                  Participant
                  2156 posts Send Private Message

I just wanted to say that your video of Nick at the petstore with the boots make me laugh! It was cute, such a good boy.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE Herbal calming remedy for dogs… toxic to bunnies?!