Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR HELPP!!!!!! My bunny killed a lizard

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • GundatheBunny
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

This morning when I woke up and came to refill my bunny’s hay, I found a dead lizard near her litter box. It looked like it had been viciously attacked.

I remembered that last night my bunny had been eating something off the floor but I hadn’t investigated at that time because I was carrying some green leafy veggies in my arms from the fridge to the kitchen. I had thought that maybe some of the leaves in my hands must have fallen onto the floor and she was probably just eating that. But only this morning did I see this dead lizard lying there and realized that my cute faced bunny killed a lizard.

Now, I know that she didn’t eat any part of the lizard because the lizard looked like it had just been bitten and left to die. My bunny is also eating her hay and veggies normally since morning and isn’t appearing to be ill at all. but, I know that rabbits are supposed to be herbivores and they don’t usually have predatory instincts. also, predators usually kill for food and my bunny didn’t even eat the lizard. she just killed it.

does anybody have any idea why she did this????/

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

If your bun killed this lizard, she probably perceived the lizard as an intruder. Rabbits don’t kill for meat, but they are highly territorial, especially girl rabbits. A long time ago, we had a member here whose rabbit chased insects and killed them. Insects made him really upset and he fiercely took them on. He was an orphaned Cottontail rabbit (wild US American rabbit) though, and he never became fully domesticated.

That said, I haven’t heard about a rabbit killing a reptile before. The most important thing here is of course to make sure your bun is OK.

• GundatheBunny
          Participant

Yes as far as i know my rabbit looks fine and doesn’t show any signs of illness except that she keeps growling when I or my mom go near her litter box. Maybe she’s still a bit nervous? Regardless, she’s still eating and drinking normally

• GundatheBunny
            Participant

That actually makes sense that she might have done it out of territorial instincts or fear. Thank you for replying

• LBJ10
              16870 posts Send Private Message

Wild rabbits are known for attacking intruders. They will even go after snakes that get too close to their burrow.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR HELPP!!!!!! My bunny killed a lizard