Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Helping Bun during Molt

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • prince dorian the bun
      Participant
      743 posts Send Private Message

Dorian is still molting, he is over the worst of it… the bad part is it’s now just really his bun bum and belly. I can not brush either of those areas, total no go zones. Also the furnator comb (I think i got the name right) just doesn’t work for his fluffy backside, it isn’t able to get in there. I do try and pluck as much as I can, but we are at the stage where he will run when he sees me as he so doesn’t like it. Nothing is very heavy at this point as the rest of him is just very minor shed, but he’s gettin a couple of little poo necklaces (the rest looks normal) and I have a feeling his tums a bit upset. Is there anything I can do to help it all pass through? I have been making sure he has hay everywhere to encourage him eating it, he gets damp greens several times a day, he is so-so on drinking his water… not any less than usual though. His energy is maybe a bit lower, but he is a pretty lazy bun and tends to have a hyper day and then chill so it’s hard to gage. He is still exploring and flopping, and food consumption is as high as ever.

Just wondering if there are herbs or anything I can give him to help him workout the bits of fur he is getting in his stomach? If I give him no gas drops and he doesn’t have gas (I am not sure how to tell) would that cause any issues? there were a lot of noises when I was petting him last night, he was also bun purring so I don’t think there was pain. & definitely purring not grinding in pain as he was in total flop position with eyes closed.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

I normally don’t worry about getting buns’ bellies. Figure they can handle that on their own and it would be very stressful to try. But my favorite thing currently are those sticky lint rollers. I don’t like wasting the sticky sheets but they work so well… and I really only use them during heavy molting time. Hand plucking is sometimes the best thing for weird areas.

Buns do tend to get cranky during shedding (Myra is currently in the same boat, poor girl looks like she got in a fight with a pair of clippers). Pushing high fiber foods (hay!) and certain herbs seems to help mine. Mint and fennel are supposed to help with gas. Dandelion is also very good for tummies. Try to limit sugar and starchy treats. I sometimes will skip a pellet ration if I think they need to eat more hay during their molt. Hydration is also important to keep things moving a long, so keep the water bowl fresh and feed greens sopping wet.

Simethicone (gas drops) are safe to give even if there isn’t gas, so no harm in giving it along with a tummy rub if you suspect discomfort.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Hazel
          Participant
          2587 posts Send Private Message

I wouldn’t be too worried as long as he keeps eating. The only times Oscar has tummy issues is when he’s shedding and he gets gas. The Simethicone drops usually help very quickly. If you think Dorian might have some gas, go ahead and give him some. Simethicone doesn’t get absorbed by the body, so it certainly won’t do any harm.

As far as removing the loose fur, I haven’t had much luck with brushes either so I stick to plucking. It seems to work best to do it in one go. I put Oscar up somewhere so he doesn’t run and pluck everything off. That way I don’t have to bug him every day 🙂

• prince dorian the bun
            Participant

Thanks @DanaNM and @Hazel !

He’s still eating for sure. The dandelion has been a bit scarce around here, but will look to see if I can get him some more… have plenty of mint right now though so I’ll throw more of that in his dinner, he doesn’t like fennel that much but I’ll try again. Wish I could do one go, wouldn’t work for Dorian. His molt seems to travel over time, he gets a little paler stripe of where it is falling out, which starts on his cheeks and back and expands out over the days of the molt… it’s just around the edge of his belly right now. Usually by now I just let him be other than a quick little comb to get the light shedding on the rest of him, but this molts been a rough one for him. I was making a mini fur version of him almost each brushing, though not any more, it’s just barely filling up the comb, just his belly area I can pull out chunks still. I’ll look to give him some Simethicone drops if he looks like he’s having issues with the gas. Right now he’s been exploring and rearranging his stuff, so think he’s feeling bit better.

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

Agreed that the stomach is an optional “boost” you can give a rabbit in molting assistance if you happen to have a rabbit who is agreeable to it… that is rarely the case! And also a “yes” to it being OK to give simethicone when there is no gas– I actually give simethicone as a rare treat depending on the treat supply. While string of pearl poops is a sign that more than usual fur is being ingested, it is also a sign that the fur is successfully moving through!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• prince dorian the bun
                Participant

Thanks @Wick !

I feel better not trying to tackle his underside now. He seem much perkier yesterday and today so far. Haven’t spotted and string poops yet today either, though I guess they mean better passed through than stuck in.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Helping Bun during Molt