Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Help with shedding!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • FrancisK
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hello all, been a lurker for many years this is my second rabbit my first passed when she was 10 years old.  I could really use some help with my two year old Flemish Stannis and I sincerely appreciate it in advance!

Stannis is an incredibly well behaved, well trained, clean and jovial bun, I really got lucky with him but I’m having a big issue with his constant and consistent shedding!  He has his own room in my house, no cage, and I keep the window cracked for him to get fresh air.  He has his run of the house except for when it’s bed time when he stays in his room.  He’s on a all organic veggie diet, pricey but he deserves the best, in addition he gets a handful of oxbow natural science adult pellets a day.  I also have a bail of an alfalfa timothy hay mix which he gets a large serving of each day in his box, I use a mix of carefresh and yesterdays news for his box and its changed daily, scrubbed weekly.

He’s spoiled and he knows it but he shows his appreciation by being extremely well behaved and clean, the only issue at all with him is his shedding!  It accumulates all over the house and I constantly have to vacuum to keep it under control and keep it from harming him and driving me crazy.  I brush and brush him but it never ends, I’ve actually started taking him outside and just gently pulling loose fur from him, basically just petting him and it flys everywhere, I could just keep going with it forever

No two bunnies are alike and I’m pretty much following the script I used with my old bun so there must be something I’m doing wrong in that he keeps shedding like this.  It’s not a molt, his molt finished and he has a beautiful new coat other than on his rump which seems to always be in a constant state of flux but hes still just leaving fur everywhere!  

Please help, is there is anything I can do to help him and me while taking his health into first consideration??

• BanditCamp
        Participant
        451 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like his undercoat is still molting. Have you tried using a flea comb with rubber bands to pull the undercoat? Also are you brushing his chest and belly? I also supplement my furbuster with a short rubber glove brush that pulls any loose hair and sticks to the glove (damp hand works too)

• Love4Bunny
          Participant
          878 posts Send Private Message

Kinda like BanditCamp, I use a cat sillicone Kong brush to get the fluffy undercoat flyaways. I usually use my hand to gently lift the everyday flyaways. Sometimes it does seem endless, but I think as long as you’re consistent, it won’t cause an impaction, and that’s the most important thing. That’s the only silver lining I have!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Help with shedding!