Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A help with molting rex?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • kralspace
      Participant
      2663 posts Send Private Message

My Lola is a white rex who went into major molt last week. Her fur is so very soft and thick I’m not sure how to help her out. She looks 2 sizes larger because the hair is turning loose, but staying in place. The brush just kinda stays on top of the fur so i wind up just sorta plucking it out, but boy, is there a lot of it…lol

Are there certain kinds of brushes that will work better on her? I feel sorry for her hus-bun, Daisy, he really tries to keep the grooming up and I worry he’s eating a lot of hair right  now. Is there something besides brushing Lola, hat would help him out?

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

This may sound weird, but for our rex, the very best tool to use to remove loose fur is one of those old fashioned Playtex Latex Gloves.  You put the glove on, then pet the bunny against the grain.  The loose fur sticks to the rubber, and it comes right off!  If you have any of these gloves lying around, give it a try.  We learned this trick from one of the voluteers at our rescue, and it really works! 

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

sometimes plucking does really work best, but most bunnies lose patience and run away while you’re working on it. i’d keep up with the plucking – try the latex glove idea Osprey shared – i’ve found it works well too. Also – lots of hay, fresh water and papaya tablets can help keep fur moving through their system. Keep a careful eye for litterbox problems though – like poopies being strung together by fur or Lola not eating.

• MarkBun
            Participant
            2842 posts Send Private Message

Saveabunny.com sells a rather unique fur comb that you use with the grain of the fur at about a 45 degree angle and it actually pulls out the clumps. I was amazed about how quickly it accumilated fur.

• Staja
              Participant
              59 posts Send Private Message

Warren just finally finished going through his big shed – something I found to be helpful, was to use a sticky lint roller. He would actually sit there and let me work on him for a lot longer than he’d let me brush him, or pluck the fur.

• Erbear
                Participant
                155 posts Send Private Message

Get a “Zoom Groom” from Petco/Petsmart They sell them in the guinea pig, dog and cat isles. Even when Radar isn’t really shedding it gets out huge amounts of fur. It also massages the rabbit so they’ll sit longer for grooming. Good luck!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2750594&cp=&sr=1&origkw=zoom+groom&kw=zoom+groom&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

• wendyzski
                  Participant
                  1312 posts Send Private Message

My Pepper has kind of long hair but I fostered a little Dutchie for a while and his fur was closer to Rex style.  I groomed him with a lint-roller!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

Am I weird? Other then my lionhead shedding out, I’ve never had a moult on anybunny yet? (Kokanee’s two in July…)

• wendyzski
                      Participant
                      1312 posts Send Private Message

Just lucky I guess.

Last spring we hin 84 the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend. 

I went out of town for a gig, and came back on Monday to go “OMG My Bunny Exploded!”

• kralspace
                        Participant
                        2663 posts Send Private Message

That’s exactly what I thought when I saw Lola that morning. She had been slimming down and then all of a sudden, poof! I had to feel her to make sure she wasn’t totally bloated. Thanks for all the suggestions, I’ve got a shopping list for lunch now!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

OMG that’s too funny!!! *patiently waiting for SOMEBUNNY to molt*

• ScooterandAnnette
                            Participant
                            1090 posts Send Private Message

When we were at Pets in the Park last year we came across an area with massive clumps of pethair everywhere and my first thought was omg there’s been some big fight here… turns out it was a booth selling grooming brushes.  Since we had Bailey with us, and had never had much luck grooming him, we put him up on their little stand and tried the brush out.  OMG we could not believe how good a job this thing did!  I’m sure it’s out there under other names but this one is called “Love2pet” – it’s got 2 brushheads on it and you can swivel one or the other into place.  The finer one does an incredible job getting the loose hair off.  I took it to show my mother and now she has one for her dog.  Anyway this is what it looks like:

– Annette

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

i have a little bunny comb which works well its just from a pet store but gets in better than the brushes

• LittlePuffyTail
                                18092 posts Send Private Message

The only thing that works on my Mini-Rex is a baby comb. I’ve tried about everything else. I always feed a piece of fresh pineapple during a heavy shed.

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A help with molting rex?