Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR HELP with increasingly aggressive bunny behavior

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gergo
      Participant
      8 posts Send Private Message

We got a bunny in spring this year, he’s about 9 months old now. I work at home so he’s always around me. Lately, he’s been aggressive towards my girlfriend. When she’s around him he always running at her feet, scratching at them and sometimes nipping her ankles. It’s gotten to the point that he’s randomly biting her hand and any other part that’s in range if she’s siting on the floor or crouching. It’s getting pretty bad considering from what I read bunnies aren’t aggressive unless they’re defending themselves, so why is he attacking her unprovoked and constantly? Really need help before this gets even worse. Why is he doing this and what can we do about it?

He was neutered in June

Thank you

• Wick & Fable
        5771 posts Send Private Message

Has anything changed with your girlfriend, whether it be the soap she uses, having/interacting with other animals (dogs, cats, other rabbits….), and/or is she entering a new space she hasn’t in the past with your rabbit (ex. you moved your rabbit to a new spot in the house and she’s entering the new territory)? Has he always been aggressive to her, or is this a definite new behavior. If new, for how long?

Post-neuter/-spay rabbits sometimes are “reset”, in terms of needing to start over in developing a relationship. Hormones really change things! I would start at the basics with bonding your rabbit to your girlfriend because, regardless of the specific reason, he does not see her as someone to interact with gently. There are many different approaches and considerations to look over here: https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Behavior_FAQ

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Gergo
            Participant

No nothings really changed. And since we live together any soap or whatever would also apply to me. Its definitely new behavior, started maybe a month or two ago and its getting worse over time. He just runs at her feet full on sprinting whenever she’s around the area with his ears back looking pretty aggressive. He also nips her ankles and feet.

He has one room to himself with a cage but when Im working hes with me mostly in my office right next door.

• DanaNM
            8901 posts Send Private Message

Is he fully free-roam? We’ve had a few members with free-roam bunnies that became overly territorial. They had some success with penning the rabbit to a smaller area part of the time, so they became less possessive over the rest of the house (also is a nice option for if he’s being crazy when she’s over). Having the bun have a smaller area that is their space alone can also help them feel safer, so they don’t have to defend a huge room from “intruders”.

Some other things to try, when he nips at her, have her squeal loudly (mimicking the sound of a bunny screaming.. it’s a terrible sound to hear but google it if you haven’t heard it before). That lets bun know that he’s actually hurting her. Try not to retreat or let the bun “win” with his attacks, but that does let the bun know “HEY you’re hurting me!”.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Gergo
                Participant

He used to be free roam but after he got neutered ironically he started to chewing everything. Before that he didnt touch anything, not he tries to eat everything he sees. So we restricted him to a room with a cage but when were there he comes to other rooms with us.

We live together so its not like he doesnt know her. And everything was fine until about a month or two ago. He just runs at her feet full on sprinting whenever she’s around the area with his ears back looking pretty aggressive. He also nips her ankles and feet.

• DanaNM

I know a few moderators have had experience with aggressive buns, going to alert them so we can get some more input.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Gergo
                    Participant

Thank you!

• DanaNM

In the meantime, this article might have some helpful info (the last section especially):

https://rabbit.org/faq-aggression/

• Gergo
                        Participant

We will check this out thank you

• Wick & Fable

I feel like building positive association with her feet might be helpful… I know that sounds odd, but remember that humans have really big bodies and I doubt rabbits 100% make the association, even though our entire body (ideally) smells the same. Feet are the first thing they see, so they are the “invaders”, “bringer of food”, “things that sometime  (gently) punt us”…. For one reason or another, her feet are now not liked.

If she wears boots or something, does it still occur? Like, her feet/ankles are well-disguised. What if she’s wearing a pair of your socks/shoes/pants?

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Gergo
                            Participant

We will try to see what happens with footwear. How would you go about the positive reinforcement? She also feeds him and stuff so not sure why he doesnt like her.

• Wick & Fable

Be careful not to unintentionally reinforce the behavior. You can perhaps present food/pellets by her feet… Again, I know it’s weird. Also, just generally more feet exposure without her approaching him might be good too.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR HELP with increasingly aggressive bunny behavior