Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Help with foster rabbit

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Haley
      Participant
      7 posts Send Private Message

Hi all,

I’ve been a rabbit owner for around 5 years now. I have fostered and cared for rabbits with a variety of behavior histories and dental issues. I just recently took on my second malocclusion/bone spur bunny that is getting her teeth trimmed and all other needed vet care next week. However, this poor little thing clearly was not given an appropriate diet; she has rough fur that sheds in small tufts all around her body and is underweight. She also has clearly not been interacted with much, as she LOVES head pets and gentle back strokes, but she is very suspicious of most hand movements and will try to bite fairly often. Primrose is around 4.5 years old, is a Netherland Dwarf, and weighs around 1.8 pounds.

With me, Primrose is on a diet of Sherwood Pet pellets, timothy and alfalfa hay (to gain weight), and assorted veggies. I’ve been giving her oats here and there in hopes to help her gain weight, and the vet prescribed critical care to feed her daily as well before she goes under anesthesia. Are they any other tips on helping her gain weight quickly and safely from you bunny savvy owners? Or to get her coat back to a healthy softness? I’ve read that black oil sunflower seeds and flaxseed in small, spread out portions can help.

Also, if you have tips on getting a bunny more used to various touch, hand movements, and being picked up, that would be great! Of course she is allowed to not to like these things, especially being picked up as many bunnies are not fans, but it would be nice to get her to a place where she at least tolerates most things rather than her first reaction being to bite. I’ve been using her daily portion of veggies as a reward system thus far, and I think just having experiences with a human that’s knowledgable on bunny body language has helped her already.

• pinkiemarie
        Participant
        414 posts Send Private Message

As for her fur, she may simply be a rabbit that sheds like that. My boy Wally loses fur in big clumps and that’s just normal for him. Although she isn’t used to being petted, if she needs groomed I would suggest trying one of those glove brushes. They don’t work super well but should be less scary.

Are you able to just hang out on the floor with her?

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for fostering her!

I think the diet you are doing sounds great, I’m sure her condition will come back. I actually wouldn’t do much alfalfa unless a vet recommended it, but you can give extra pellets, critical care, and oats. Critical care especially is really good for recovering buns. Sherwood pellets have a good amount of fats in them already (on the high end for an adult pellet), so they should be enough to help her coat condition without any additional fats added. A slow and gentle recovery will be great for her.

I think once her teeth are back in order her condition will come back quickly. I’m guessing she hasn’t been eating well because her teeth were so messed up (which could have also affected her ability to groom). She also could just be mid-molt and looking extra rough, so time will tell.

As far as her behavior, just gentle care and time will probably work wonders. Don’t force the issue of petting too much, and spend lots of time with her but ignoring her. Hand feeding is very good for helping them get over the fear of hands. Also try to avoid cleaning her area while she is in it, even if it means putting her in a carrier while you do deep cleaning.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Help with foster rabbit