Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A help with fleas please!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • ViVi
      Participant
      12 posts Send Private Message

Hi,

My rabbit got fleas from an evil bunny play date! I took him to the vet and she want me to put advantage on him. I would rather avoid doing this, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any more natural, homeopathic remedies I could try?

Thanks!

• KytKattin
        Participant
        1195 posts Send Private Message

I was going to post something about plants, but then I remember that they are good for fly repellent. lol. Brewers Yeast is used for dogs, but I am pretty sure it doesn’t work for rabbits. I can’t really think of anything. I just treated all my buns with advantage yesterday, so that is my solution. Then again, I have dogs and cats and they bring in fleas so I don’t know of anything else that would work that wouldn’t be a losing battle. Though I am interested in what someone else might post!

• KytKattin
          Participant
          1195 posts Send Private Message

http://www.eartheasy.com/live_non-toxic_flea_control.html Apparently there is this dust stuff that kills fleas. You can just rub it on the pet, put it on the carpet, ect. I would use this, but I have a tarantula for a pet and I would never forgive myself if I accidentally killed her with the stuff.

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

With the powder mentioned above – I have heard it is effective. Actually, I know of a member who has used it on their rabbit with no trouble. However, if you look at getting this substance (diatomaceous earth) please ensure it if food-grade DE. The other type, commonly used for pools, is not safe. Also, take care not to breath it in or get in your eyes or the rabbits.

• Lintini
              Participant
              3329 posts Send Private Message

when I first started letting Bun run around my room, I found fleas on her lower back, since they love to go to places that their host cannot reach. I simply flea combed her, and took better care to vacuum my room, and made sure the dogs and cat had their advantage on time. She doesn’t have fleas anymore, and neither does Indy. I felt so bad too when I found them…poor lil bunbun. I would try something simple like that first Flea comes are cheap!

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

Advantage is safe, as is Revolution. Frontline is not safe. I can’t vouch for any of the at-home remedies… but I know the meds will work. Some people also put a flea collar inside the canister of their vacuum to kill fleas/eggs as they get vacuumed up.

• KatnipCrzy
                  Participant
                  2981 posts Send Private Message

Advantage or Revolution- treating all the pets in the house and treating the house if needed and treated for a couple of months will be your best bet to get flea free again.

Fleas completely gross me out- they are hardy critters- and I would not hesitate to use Advantage or Revolution on my bunnies- and in fact to be on the safe side I treated Griffin with Revolution before I even brought him home, treated Penny with capstar and Schroeder had been treated with Advanage by the shelter.

I usually treat or make sure any new critter coming into my house is treated as it is costly, time consuming and frustraating to keep treating the flea life cycle that lasts for months.

• Kafrn
                    Participant
                    747 posts Send Private Message

The product jersey mentioned is really good for fleas, and if you wanted to avoid fleas jumping on to your bun at a later bunny date, they are seriously repelled by peppermint oil from your local health shop. Fleas are meant to avoid peppermint at all costs.

• ViVi
                      Participant
                      12 posts Send Private Message

wow, thanks! i tried the flea comb and he wouldn’t sit still long enough for me to finish. i feel better about putting advantage on him after reading the replies.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A help with fleas please!!