Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Shipping my bunny from Hawaii?

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • Author
    • MarinaB
      Participant
      15 posts Send Private Message

Hi Everybody,

I joined  here because I am desperate. I do not know how I am going to get my bunn from Lihue, Kauai to Washington State. Does anyone have experience? I have until the middle of June to figure it out, but things are looking grim. I don’t have anybody here who would adopt her and treat her how she should be, so I really don’t want to want to abandon her here!!! All I have to do is get her to Honolulu, and she can ride with me on the plane. But Aloha air went bankrupt and was the only airline who would take bunnies to Honolulu. Aaahhh!

Suggestions!!?

Thanks, Marina

• Floppy
        Participant
        490 posts Send Private Message

I have no idea…but I really hope someone here can lend a helping hand…we got a lot of people who volunteer at rabbit rescues…
          hopefully those members will have a better idea. GOODLUCK!!!

• RabbitPam
          11002 posts Send Private Message

My first idea is to have you call each airlines you might use as an alternative to Aloha, explain to them how carrying on a bunny works, and ask if they would accommodate you since their competitor has gone bankrupt. Don’t settle for info. from a website or even customer service. Better yet, if they are local, drop into the offices in person – people have a way of bending the rules when the see a pleading face. Also to a squeaky wheel. Start with the one that allows cats or dogs.

Another idea: some of the others may know how to set this up. What is the groud/water transportation situation like there? You could advertise on craigslist, in your local paper, or at a nearby university or community college, for a reliable person to drive to Honolulu and meet you there. Get the bun ready for the road, buy any tickets and make reservations in advance (is there a regular boat that gets between the islands? I’ve never been but I assume there’s no bridge. That would be too easy.) and appoint an arrival time and place. Probably would involve getting a hotel room to meet if one of you gets there first, unless this person lives nearby (like a student’s parents’ home.)

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

I believe Delta allows rabbits on the plane as well – I’m not sure if they fly from Honolulu though – contact them.

• JK
              Participant
              2223 posts Send Private Message

Maybe a really stupid question but can you take a boat to Honolulu? I can’t remember how far it is.  What about pretending the bunny is a cat!  They would never look inside the carrier.  Although I can see it now the rabbit might start thumping on the plane and that would be a little hard to explain! I’m sure there is a way.

• Sarita
                Participant

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/pet_travel_options/index.jsp

There appear to be restrictions if you bring your pet into Hawaii but it doesn’t say from Hawaii. 

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/special_travel_needs/pet_travel_information/domestic_international_pet/index.jsp#hawaii

As far as I know from all my rabbit lists Delta is the only airlines that allows rabbits and they do fly from Hawaii.

I would not try anything suspicious though as trying to pass them off as cats – that could be a problem for you and your rabbit – contact Delta.

• rabbitsmba
                  Participant
                  475 posts Send Private Message

I’m a bit confused…where is your rabbit now? A different part of Hawaii? How frustrating to just need to get her to another part of Hawaii in order to go with you. Is it ony possible to fly? There must be other ways to travel, especially for people who hate flying. Is there not a boat that travels from one island to the other? Even if you might have to charter one to get you there……

Good luck and let us know!

• JK
                    Participant

Sorry – passing the rabbit off as a cat would be stupid! That was actually part serious – part joke! I say look into a boat.

• Sarita
                      Participant

Okay, now I’m confused as well after reading rabbitsmba post.  If it’s within Hawaii I would contact Hawaii Humane Society.

http://www.hawaiianhumane.org/

They may be able to give you options in Hawaii for transport between the islands.

• JK
                        Participant

I think she is trying to get from Kauai to Honolulu and then from Honolulu to Washington.

• Sage Cat
                          Participant
                          1883 posts Send Private Message

My sister-in-law actually got a “note” from her therapist saying that her 2 dachshunds are therapy dogs & that she MUST have them with her (not in the luggage hold) on all plain rides.
                            I always thought this was a bit odd – but, it works like a charm every time she travles!

• RabbitPam

Just googled it, and found this on Frommer’s Getting There,

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/kauai/0011020009.html
                              It says there are direct flights to Lihue from say, LA or other major west coast destinations. It give 800 3s on that page. Check it out. Maybe you could get a direct flight on a larger plane (it mentioned American Airlines and 3 others) out to LA, then change there. I think the larger airlines are more accommodating.

Also, try asking your local vet how s/he get their animals out when traveling.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                              Participant
                              12067 posts Send Private Message

OMG Sage cat that is an awesome idea!!

• MarinaB
                                Participant

Hi,

Thank you all for your ideas! I tried begging someone on the phone today from Hawaiian air- no go. And my parents are flying direct from Kauai on Alaska, who takes rabbits, just not to/from Hawaii. Aaahh. Delta itself does not do the inter-island flights, that was up to Aloha, Go, Hawaiian, and Island air, so those possibilities are out.

My boss, who on this small island has connections, most importantly with the humane society director, asked her a favor today to pull some strings, so I have my fingers crossed. He also knows fishermen who might travel, but I would hate for them to travel all that way just for my bunny, Lucy.

But yes, there is a boat that usually tavels between islands (Superferry), but is ran into something and is down for the count.

Also, as things are looking up(???), has anyone experienced putting their bunny in cargo? I am kind of worried since I know they are delicate creatures and planes can’t be good for them. I just hope I’m not being selfish trying to make her ride on a horrible flight and suffer.

Thank you guys for so much feed back!

~Marina

• BinkyBunny
                                  8776 posts Send Private Message

I’ve always been told by vets that cargo is not good for a rabbit, though there are some people who said they didn’t have problems doing it this way.  Check out a previous discussion about bunny and air travel - you do sort of have to weed through the other part of the discussion that is not relevant.

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=2&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=6949#7020

Keep us updated.

OH, and will the boat that travels to the different islands be fixed by June?

Another question – so they’ll take the bunny from Kaui but not Hawaii?  I don’t even get that?  Do they say why? What difference does it make what island they fly from?

• Sarita
                                    Participant

I think if you fly Delta (is that possible once you get her to the right island) they will let her fly with you in the cabin.

• rabbitsmba
                                      Participant

You definitely CANNOT put Lucy in cargo – the stress will kill her. Rabbits need to travel in the cabin with you. Sorry if this limits your options, but you need to know what it will do to Lucy.

• Sarita
                                        Participant

Well, I definitely do not recommend cargo but I know of a lady who brought her rabbits from Saudi Arabia to Texas and they had to fly in cargo – I’m certain she doesn’t recommend this but they made it here just fine. She was quite stressed out and the airlines did let her see the rabbits on landings and stuff. I know that wasn’t her preference but she was not going to leave them behind either in Saudi Arabia. I read about it in the House Rabbit Journal and she now lives in Texas and is on the member list for North Texas Rabbit Sanctuary. She made alot of accommodations obviously to get them over here.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                          Participant
                                          4293 posts Send Private Message

I just wanted to chime in and say that a lot of airlines who do take pets in cargo will not take them if the weather is too hot or too cold either as it can be the end of a furred friend. Another thing to think about is if they put the carrier on the runway when it’s 90 degrees outside, it can give a rabbit heat stroke which is quite serious. There was an HRS member here who boarded the plane and had a window seat and was watching them load the cargo, it was in AZ and they she saw her rabbits, then watched them place them on the tarmac in 109 degrees, 5 then 10 minutes later they were STILL out there, she went ballistic, made a scene and 15 minutes later they let her out there with them (luckily a stewardess was a bunny lover). They were overheated and the stewardess brought out water bottles and ice to help cool them down. They still went in cargo but the stewardess put them in herself and assured her that they will be very well taken care of.

So keep a mind on the weather too, since it will be June, and hot.

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                            16016 posts Send Private Message

i hope you can get this resolved. i think i’d personally be comng over on a rowboat before my rabbit was in the cargo hold, but i’m not in your situation, and i know you need to do what you have to do. please continue to keep us posted with your developments. i’m interested to know.

• Gravehearted
                                              Participant
                                              2428 posts Send Private Message

wow – I also really hope you can come up with a safe solution to transport her. Sending lots of good juju!
                                                you might also talk to any rabbit rescues in your area to see if they have any transportation options. Since the commercial ferry doesn’t sound like an option, it’s time to pull any tricks or ideas you can possible think of to get her safely with you.

• rabbitsmba
                                                Participant

There MUST be boats other than the commercial ferry that travel from island to island. Heck there are cruise ships aren’t there? Oh I feel so worried for you! Even try going down to the harbour and asking people with boats if they could take you and your bunny, personal boats, charters, cargo/delivery boats…

Other than that, I’d go to the media, make it a news story, on tv, in the paper, whatever you can do – I know there is SOMEONE out there who has the solution!

How insane is it that this is such a problem? Some people/companies just don’t get how hard they make it for people to travel with their pets. You would think after all the tragedies of people being forced to leave their pets behind when Katrina hit New Orleans that considerations would be made. I know up here in Canada, Air Canada now does not even let you bring a pet on the same plane as you, not even in cargo! They will travel on a separate plane at a different time than you – how insane is THAT? There is only ONE airline that I know of that allows rabbits in the cabin with you – so limiting in situations like this….

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                  Participant

WWWHHHHAAATTT>???? Why would they do that!??? I had nooo idea Air Canada did that!! That’s crap, I’m writting them right now!! I hate air canada with a passion….

• rabbitsmba
                                                    Participant

Isn’t it crazy? Like, how are you supposed to drop off your pet if you’ve already left? or pick it up at the destination if you aren’t there yet? West Jet i think is the only cabin-pet-friendly airline up here, I believe….

• ScooterandAnnette
                                                      Participant
                                                      1090 posts Send Private Message

Air Canada has been told they must allow pets to be with the owners on passenger planes and not shipped as cargo.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/04/04/pets-aircanada.html

Note that you still can’t bring them in the cabin, unlike Westjet where we’ve had various cats and bunnies with us on the plane.

– Annette

• rabbitsmba
                                                        Participant

Well THAT”S good to know – at least it’s a step back in the right direction!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                          Participant

PHEW! Thanks S&A!!

• Floppy
                                                            Participant

Please keep us updated!!!

• MarinaB
                                                              Participant

Hey Everyone!

This place is so awesome!

Well, I talked to the Humane Soc lady today (Dr. Becky) who has been fighting for me, and she said the airlines still wouldn’t back down, but she knows of an awesome solution!

I can get my bun registered as a Companion Animal!

That would mean she can ride in the cabin with me no matter what because I need her. It will be like having a service animal, only she doesn’t have to work so hard… All I havve to do is get her certified by a vet, which my boss is taking care of, once again, his connections. Hehe, I’m so happy. And a coworker is giving me her outgrown porter that will fit under the plane seat. I put my bun in it and she loved it!

Everything seems to be coming together, nothing positive, but good.

Does anyone know of good tips for helping her travel easier, like food, water. It would be a six hr flight. No bottles, right? I’ll figure it out!

And does anyone know what documents are needed to import a bunny to Washington State? I have tried contacting the USDA, but no response (email). I’ll get her health cert for sure, just want to make sure everything goes smoothly.

I can’t wait til June now!

Thanks, Marina

• Floppy
                                                                Participant

yay!

• JK
                                                                  Participant

Wow that’s great news! You could bring an empty bottle and then fill it with water once you get past security. Or use a crock…

• Sarita
                                                                    Participant

Yay, that’s good news – I would imagine just a health certificate to cross the borders, but I’m not 100% positive.

• RabbitPam

Wonderful!!!

When I traveled last fall, I went through security, then was allowed to buy bottled water at the gift shops/restaurants that were in the terminal past that point. (Rather convenient for those businesses, but their bottled water WAS allowed on the plane.)

I think in the US it isn’t considered importing from one state to another, but I could be wrong.

• rabbitsmba
                                                                        Participant

YAY! Oh, if I could binky, I would! That is great news!

Make sure you do find out about any additional paperwork – you wouldn’t want that to be a glitch in the end.

So if they declare your bunny a service animal, what are you suposed to say when people ask what service they do?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                          Participant

WOOHOO!! That’s awesome!!

My boyfriend was telling me last night (coincedence!!) that his friend lives in a no-pet apartment, but his girlfriend got their dog registered as a therapy dog so they are allowed to have him! Nice Loophole for us all to know about heheh!!

• ScooterandAnnette
                                                                            Participant

“So what services does a service rabbit do?”

“Well, he provides fertilizer pellets on demand….Would you like to see?”

• JK
                                                                              Participant

Very funny!!!! That just cracks me up! But how true! Wait till the little bun starts thumping on the plane….would I love to be a fly on the wall! Keilwerth – you must be sure to update us after the flight! I’ll be dying to know how it went and what people thought!

• ScooterandAnnette
                                                                                Participant

For what it’s worth, Tegan made absolutely no noise at all during her 2-hour flight. She just sat there. No thumping. I think she was just too stressed to do anything, and we had no choice but to transport her by air. That’s the only time we’ve flown with a bunny, so your mileage may vary.

• RabbitPam
                                                                                  Moderator

Adding 2 cents: I think Service Bunnies are a natural anti-depressant, like chocolate.

• Beka27
                                                                                    Participant

what service?

Binky Therapy of course…

that is excellent news. i’m so happy for you, and i would not hesitate doing the very same thing if the need arose. as long as it’s perfectly legal, why the heck not?

you’ll want to make sure she has food and water. buns need to have access to food at all times. she may not touch it, but it needs to be there just in case.

what are the plans for after you arrive? i would try and get her to a quiet place as soon as possible. even if you have to run back out and do other errands afterwards.

• MarinaB
                                                                                      Participant

Ooooh, I’m getting excited!!
                                                                                        I now have in my hands a document stating that my bunny is a service animal as she provides me with emotional support. A psychiatrist came to my work work several times last week (I had my bunny with me each time) and met with me for free and wrote me a certified letter!
                                                                                        So my Lucy won’t be left behind or have to ride in the cargo. Yay!
                                                                                        Thanks, everyone, for ideas.
                                                                                        ~Keilwerth

• rabbitsmba
                                                                                        Participant

YAY! What a relief! When do you leave? You must post when you arrive at your new place and let us know how it went!

• Gravehearted
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                          2428 posts Send Private Message

oo that’s wonderful news!!! i am so glad you figured out a loophole

• BinkyBunny
                                                                                            Moderator
                                                                                            8776 posts Send Private Message

YEAH!!!!! Yes, be sure to give us an update!

• MarinaB
                                                                                              Participant

I have to wait until June 11th for my flight to Washington, but I’m raring to go. Lucy loves her new sherpa carrier and enjoys digging at the plastic and pulling at the fleece…should I take that out? My husband and I take her back and forth in the car to work once a week, so she’ll get lots of practice at riding in her bag. I just need to figure out what kind of container to put  her water in (after I get through security). So excited!

~Keilwerth 

• Beka27
                                                                                                Participant

leave the fleece in. it’s good for traction and something to snuggle up with! i’m so pleased that everything is working out!

• skunklionshow
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                  1257 posts Send Private Message

That is such great news!  I wish I had a service bunny at work

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                    4293 posts Send Private Message

You’ll actually want to contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture.  Their web site is here: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/Info/doa_exporting

It appears that it will vary upon the state you are moving to (their local USDA branch) and contact them directly.  Here is a list: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/sregs/

I hope this helps!

Edited to add the listing for the State vetrinarians (they ought to know)

http://agr.wa.gov/FoodAnimal/AnimalHealth/StateVets.htm#WASHINGTON

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                                                                      Participant

Oh wow I’m sooo glad this is working out!! *HUGS*

One thing I’ve been wondering, why oh why would you leave Hawaii?? I”d love to live somewhere like that!!

• tanflorence
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                        1 posts Send Private Message

The picture of rabbit is very interesting. The safety of rabbit is watering equipment and water bottles.

==================================

Normal
                                                                                                          0
                                                                                                          <wunctuationKerning />

false
                                                                                                          false
                                                                                                          false

<wontGrowAutofit />

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
                                                                                                          table.MsoNormalTable
                                                                                                          {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
                                                                                                          mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
                                                                                                          mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
                                                                                                          mso-style-noshow:yes;
                                                                                                          mso-style-parent:””;
                                                                                                          mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
                                                                                                          mso-para-margin:0in;
                                                                                                          mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
                                                                                                          mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
                                                                                                          font-size:10.0pt;
                                                                                                          font-family:”Times New Roman”;
                                                                                                          mso-ansi-language:#0400;
                                                                                                          mso-fareast-language:#0400;
                                                                                                          mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<a target=_blank href="http://www.treatmentcenters.org/hawaiiHawaii Treatment Centers

Normal
                                                                                                          0
                                                                                                          <wunctuationKerning />

false
                                                                                                          false
                                                                                                          false

<wontGrowAutofit />

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
                                                                                                          table.MsoNormalTable
                                                                                                          {mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
                                                                                                          mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
                                                                                                          mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
                                                                                                          mso-style-noshow:yes;
                                                                                                          mso-style-parent:””;
                                                                                                          mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
                                                                                                          mso-para-margin:0in;
                                                                                                          mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
                                                                                                          mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
                                                                                                          font-size:10.0pt;
                                                                                                          font-family:”Times New Roman”;
                                                                                                          mso-ansi-language:#0400;
                                                                                                          mso-fareast-language:#0400;
                                                                                                          mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Viewing 49 reply threads
                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Shipping my bunny from Hawaii?