Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP!! Severe Bunny Gi Stasis/ Bloat

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marshie
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Sorry this is going to be long, i’m just really worried right now

On saturday Morning i took my bunny Marshmallow (4y 6m) to the vets as i noticed he hasnt been eating much or pooping, and kept pressing his belly agaisnt the floor. The vet did X rays to rule out a blockage, which they said he doesnt have one and then treated him for GI stasis throughout the day and overnight, putting him on an IV and several medications. The following day i was told he hasnt been eating or pooping so i decided to take him home and they gave me Ceripride, Emipride, Bupremorphine (or something, can’t spell) and Metacam. As soon as he got home he began gradually pooping more and more, i also gave him infacol which seemed to really help, and he was eating and drinking mostly on his own for a couple of days (i still gave him a small amount of critical care and water through a syringe). However since yesterday Marshmallow has not been eating on his own at all. I made a vet appointment today for 5pm and the vet examined marshmallow and informed me his intestines were working again however his stomach wasnt, and said that is was impacted. He told me to stop all medication (including the painkillers which worried me?) and to not force feed him at all, but to have hay and grass out for him for when HE gets the urge to eat. He told me to syringe him water and get him moving, however he is in so much pain but i feel awful doing so! (i know, you have to be cruel to be kind). Any advice will be very appreciated, this has been going on for around 5/6 days now and i just want my crazy bun back!

[caption id="attachment_1952566" align="alignnone" width="300"] My poor baby[/caption]

• Bam
        16838 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry you are dealing with this.

The reason why painkillers were stopped is probably because buprenorphine (an opoid) slows the gut, and metacam can be a bit hard on the stomach lining.

Im not sure that you can treat impaction without feeding the bun (with sloppy critical care or similar) and giving fluids. Since rabbits are very sensitive to pain, I dont know if stopping all pain meds is the best way. Is your vet bunny savvy? You might want to seek a second opinion.

• DanaNM
          8901 posts Send Private Message

Poor little guy 🙁

I know that different motility meds can work on different parts of the GI tract, maybe he needs a different motility med to act on his stomach?

I second Bam that a second opinion may be in order. Did the vet give you a timeline on how long to stop things for?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Marshie
            Participant
            2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for your replies guys, unfortunatley he passed away this evening 🙁 i am heart broken but i’d like to think he is out of his misery, i just loved him so so much

• DanaNM
              8901 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sorry to hear that. 🙁    True bloat is very often fatal.

Again I’m so sorry for your loss.

(((Binky free Marshmallow)))

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• SweetPotato
                Participant
                100 posts Send Private Message

Oh no!! I’m so, so sorry that Marshmallow passed away. Binky free.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP!! Severe Bunny Gi Stasis/ Bloat