Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP! Rabbit is fine but on medications?!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • *Pumpkinbabe*
      Participant
      16 posts Send Private Message

I just took my rabbit to the vet because for 2 days he ignored his hay when he usually eats a lot of it. He was still drinking and eating his pellets as normal. He was pooping less and they were dark and small. He is also flicking his head, as well as scratching his ears and biting paws. The vet looked in his ears and they were good. Last night he starting eating the hay normally again as well as today.He also was pooping normally. The vet didn’t really see any sign of a problem but his eye had white discharge in it. Since the vet wasn’t sure if he had an infection or not(since the white discharge also) he gave me antibiotics, eye drops, and a pain medication incase. I just want to make sure that even if my rabbit is fine and not ill, is it okay to give the medications? The vet gave them in the office and he gave them to take home and give. (antibiotics and pain medicine are in syringes). My rabbit seemed fine and back to normal today but is it okay to still give those medications anyway just incase ? Thank you!                                                                                                                          ( I went to this vet because he sees all exotic animals like pigs, birds, ferrets etc..)                                                                                         I want to put my mind at ease and make sure I am doing the right thing!

• vanessa
        Participant
        2212 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think it will hurt. Sometimes the small poops come and go. Either way, small poops are a sign of a gut that is slowing. Antibiotics and pain meds are for a slowed-down-gut, and a white discharge is more of a concern than a clear discharge. If Eyedrops don’t sort out the eye discharge, then that can be taken as a sign to rule out certain causes, and look for others. The antibiotics could also help with the eye discharge. I would give him the medication. If you don’t and it gets worse, you’ll wish you had. Rabbits don’t show easy-tell-tale signs that they are sick. They hide it – so we have to be good at reading the obscure signs. A gut that is slowing down is dangerous for your bunny and I woudl treat it as a priority. The eye discharge coudl be from a bacterial infection anywhere in the eye, sinus passages, upper or lower respiratory passages, or it coudl be from tooth pain, or a blocked tear duct. And sometimes – we just don’t know. My little Lancelot always has weepy eyes, and as long as his pal keeps grooming hsi face, his fur stays dry. Your bunny biting at his paws coudl be him licking/cleanign them, since he uses them to wipe the discharge away from his eyes. If the inside fur of the paws is wet – the eye discharge does need attention.

• *Pumpkinbabe*
          Participant

Yeah that’s what I was thinking it’s better to give all medications just incase. His eye looks fine now but I’m still giving the drops. He is also eating the hay as well. I noticed that he keeps shaking his head and also biting over his body. I don’t know if he’s itchy or not but I don’t see any signs of fleas or anything. He was scratching and digging in his ears too and that turned out to be good when the vet checked them. Thank you for responding ! :]

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

That’s good you are continuing with the meds. It’s important to do the full course of antibiotics especially. Don’t stop those if symptoms clear up, do them for as long as the vet instructed. If you are seeing your rabbit is not reacting well to them however, contact your vet to see what they suggest.

Is the biting at his body and scratching ears just his grooming himself or is it more over the top then usual.

• *Pumpkinbabe*
              Participant

It seems more over the top. He has been cleaning himself a lot but also it seems like he’s biting and scratching. The vet didn’t notice anything though. Also after he got the syringes of the pain medication and antibiotics, for awhile after he was moving his mouth a lot. I thought maybe he still had the taste in mouth or something. I want to make sure that’s normal.  Thanks for replying! 

• vanessa
                Participant
                2212 posts Send Private Message

Did your vet clean his ears? One vet I take my rabbit to – always says his ears are fine. But when I think he is really sick, I take him to a different vet. When they check his ears, they get out the earbuds and pull out all sorts of gunk.Once the gunk was clear and he was able to clean his ears again (recovering from EC), he stopped the excessive ear shaking/scratching.

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP! Rabbit is fine but on medications?!