Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR HELP! Rabbit eating skin and stitches

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Marzipan The Bunny
      Participant
      73 posts Send Private Message

I got mars neutered at around 1 today and the vet said he got internal stitches. I’m constantly seeing him licking them. I was concerned but brushed it off. A few minutes later I see him licking them again but this time he’s chewing something. I know they weren’t his cecotropes because they were repetitive and lasted from a minute to about ten minutes. I called his vet and she said that an e collar was not ideal because he would get stressed and freak out. She told me that if it’s swollen and red to call her again. I can tell it isn’t red but I don’t know if he’s pulling his fur and skin because he doesn’t really let me check. I honestly don’t know what to do. I’m trying to get him to stop when i see it by petting him and very slightly pushing him to stop but he just wont. i think hes chewing his skin. Should i just go ahead and get him an e – collar even though my vet does not recommend it? i don’t know what the area i supposed to look like if its swollen and i’m really confused

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

It is concerning if your rabbit is actually biting and chewing at the site, rather than just grooming it. Wick groomed his (clean off dried blood and such), but afterwards he stopped. If you find he’s constantly going at the site, then I would suggest a collar. It may be less stressful if you let it be off for periods of time.

Were you given pain medication? I’m wondering if the area is being irritating and this is his reaction.

And you do need to check the site each day to make sure it’s healing correctly. What I do is use one hand to lift the front paws and the other hand lifting up the butt from below (not the back legs), and with Wick’s back leaning on my chest, I tilt the butt up so I can see the area.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Marzipan The Bunny
          Participant
          73 posts Send Private Message

I took Mars to the vet yesterday because I noticed the area was super puffy and red. the vet told me that in this case, a collar was vital. letting mars lick it more would cause damage, putting a bandage on it would not let the area breath, and putting the bitter paste on it would entice mars to lick it more. she sent me home with an e collar and mars hates it. I try to give him as much “no cone” time as possible but the times where he is wearing the cone is really annoying him. he gets stuck near corners, he cant periscope without falling on his back, and he cant drink water properly, forcing me to syringe feed him water. I would describe it as the worst form of torture for a rabbit. he is getting around a bit easier today and doing more flops, though. the vet sent me home with Meloxicam for his pain. Your technique for checking it is way smarter than mine. i have to hold a raspberry up and have about .01 seconds to check the area. Thank you so much!!!

• Wick & Fable
            5781 posts Send Private Message

It’s to ensure good healing, so it may be a stressful time, but it’s better than him getting infected or doing permanent damage down there. I often think about how a rabbit can be stressed by medically-required interventions. I very commonly need to do topical treatments on Wick, and there are many times I do it and he just retreats further and further into my crossed legs to try and squirm away, and he makes whimpering noises. It’s very heartbreaking during those times, but if he doesn’t get the treatment, he will bleed, lose more fur, and things will get worse. So it’s a balance. Wick thankfully knows he gets a treat afterwards, so at least he has something to think about during.

The more time goes by without interrupting the stitch area, the faster it will heal!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR HELP! Rabbit eating skin and stitches