Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help, put to sleep decision

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Aurora
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

Hi everybody,

It is completely heart broken that I am seeking help today.

My little bunny, pom-pom, has been sick for the past 3 month, we did many examination, blood test, x ray but nothing is conclusive.

The veterinarian stated that she has not a clue what pom-pom can have.

At the moment, our bunny has poor life quality, for the past 3 month already he is not interested in food, games, is not curious, is showing clear signs of annoyement by relentlessly scratching the floor for hours.

I am so sad to see him in so much pain and not to be able to do anything.

My partner and I thought about it long and hard and we think that it might be time for him to be put to sleep, or as we say go to bunny heaven.

We talked about our wish to see pom-pom suffering coming to an end to the veterinarian but she seem not to want to.

She advices us to wait, while we already waited 3 month and without further treatment we don’t really see how the situation can improve.

I feel that the veterinarian is not treating the situation properly and just want to avoid putting an end to his life because she seems incomfortable with it.

Our bunny has been so sick since we got him, over the past 6 month he has been sick for 5,force fed for 3 and a half.

He always has health issue and over the past year has been sick more than half of the time 😢

I don’t know what to do at all and I feel so awful.

Any ideas, experiences or new perspectives would be so much welcome.

Thanks a lot for reading through and thanks a lot for your help ❤️

• LBJ10
        16899 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry your bunny is unwell. You said he is sick, but you didn’t really say what his symptoms are. I’m just curious. Perhaps we can provide some suggestions if we have more information.

• Aurora
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

Thank you so much for your answer!

The signs I described are actually the main ones, not interested in food, not interested in playing, scratching the floor and being aggressive sometimes.

As I was saying he has been sick many times in the past and he always shows it with this pattern.

That’s how I am completely sure he is not OK.

Normally in happier times, he is a super cute and a happy bunny.

He never scratches the floor, he is so super interested in food, that much that he would run to the fridge as soon as I step foot inhe kitchen.

He would be super curious about his environment.

And happily running everywhere, wiggling his little but of joy… specially to the prospect of food.

And he does none of that at the moment ☹️

• GlennTheLionhead
            Participant
            361 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry to hear your bunny is unwell!

I can see why the vet would be reluctant to have him put to sleep if there is no seemingly obvious health condition, as perhaps when the cause is found he could make a full recovery and live a long life that would be my guess on her thinking.

Have you looked into depression in rabbits? This can occur for all sorts of reasons including loneliness if he’s a single bun. I have heard it can happen even in very well cared for buns. I read into this before and the symptoms are generally withdrawn, loss of interest in food and play, repetitive behaviours lethargy, but something like that wouldn’t show up on routine medical checks.

Another thing to consider is have you gone to a different rabbit savvy vet for a second opinion?

• GlennTheLionhead
                Participant
                361 posts Send Private Message

Sorry I have just re-read you post and see you mentioned he is being force fed… That’s must be so difficult on everyone involved! 🙁

If it were me personally I’d get a second opinion from another vet and see if they can identify anything.

• BZOO
                Participant
                329 posts Send Private Message

What all has the vet done…bloodworm, x-rays, ultra sound?

• LBJ10

Hmm… sounds more like a digestive issue then. Is he prone to gas? Some bunnies will have episodes of gas that will come and go.

• DanaNM
                    8930 posts Send Private Message

This sounds very stressful, I’m sorry you are going through this. 🙁

Sorry a bunch of questions, but I just think a bit more info will help us give some advise.

You mentioned he was sick since you got him. Do you know how old he is? And can you describe his diet in detail (when he eats on his own)?

Have you gotten a second opinion from another vet?

Also, can you describe what treatments the bun has been on? Has he been getting pain management or any other medications (such as motility medication)?

His behavior sounds like he is in pain of some sort. I agree an ultrasound could be good. Liver torsion is something that comes to mind and isn’t always considered in cases of chronic GI issues (but is somewhat common and treatable).

Have his teeth been checked thoroughly? Some buns will stop eating with even a tiny molar spur.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10

That’s a good point Dana. A smaller liver torsion can cause symptoms of similar to those of GI issues. What kind of blood work did the vet do?

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help, put to sleep decision