Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE HELP! No feeding information from “breeder”

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • MadiJg
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys,

I’m in desperate need of your help! I just got a second bunny yesterday, my first was a bit of a rescue and he was already a few months when I go him. However, my new rabbit is just over 7 weeks (I now know that this is frowned upon, so please don’t judge me, I just wasn’t aware) and the breeder I got her from didn’t give me any information on what to feed her. I asked her and she said whatever I feed my current bunny is fine and that she will eat whatever hay and veggies I give her and she will be fine. I did some further research and feel like I should be giving her different pellets for junior rabbits. What do I do!? I don’t want to make her sick but I’ve now been given such conflicting information.

Ps. Please don’t give me any hate, I already feel terrible

• LBJ10
        16898 posts Send Private Message

If she is that young, then yes, a young rabbit formula would be best. There are several kinds out there. They are alfalfa-based instead of timothy-based. Alfalfa provides them with what they need to grow. Once they are done growing, then they need to be switched to an adult formula.

Alfalfa hay can be given in combination with the pellets, but many find that it isn’t necessary. Plus it may be harder to switch to grass hay once they are older if they are used to eating alfalfa hay.

Babies can be free fed pellets. This is within reason, of course. But most babies will eat whatever amount their body tells them they need. Just monitor her intake to make sure she isn’t consuming an extreme amount.

Babies should not be given veggies until they are 12 weeks. At 12 weeks, you can start to slowly introduce veggies. Start with simple things (romaine, etc.) and introduce them one at a time to make sure nothing upsets their GI tract.

• MadiJg
            Participant

Hey!

that’s what I thought, will it be okay to switch her straight away? Thanks for getting back to me!

• Wick & Fable
              5781 posts Send Private Message

If she is already weaned, do not give milk formula as it can disrupt the GI tract.

Edit: Please ignore this comment — I didn’t realize the context was pellet formula (instead of milk)!

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
              16898 posts Send Private Message

Are you feeding her adult pellets now? You should probably ease into the transition. Alfalfa is much richer than timothy.

• MadiJg
                  Participant

Yeah, she’s got adult pellets now, no pet store in my city sells them but I’ve found a supplied who will drop some to me in the next 24 hours. Will start swapping in the junior pellets into the mix to get her used to them. Thank you!

• DanaNM
                  8929 posts Send Private Message

Yes I would do a very gradual transition!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Wick & Fable
                    5781 posts Send Private Message

Echo’ing the others, yes, slowly transition her to the appropriate diet and be sure to eliminate all veggies from the diet right now, as the gut is not mature enough to handle it.

Separate from your question, I do want to highlight that you need to keep your new young rabbit separate from your first rabbit at all times. If there are intentions to bond them, you cannot start any “dates” until both are at least 1mo spayed/neutered.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• MadiJg
                        Participant

Yes, I’ve got them in separate hutches for until then 🙂

Viewing 4 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE HELP! No feeding information from “breeder”