Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR help needed for randy bunny

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • melanie
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

my bunny and guniea pig have lived in a two tier hutch for over a year and get on great. but the last few days beauty (my bunny) has been humping fudge (guniea). hes so scared so have put him in a small holding cage. my questions are-

do they have to stay apart for good now ? can i stop beauty doing this ? will they both be happy still now they are apart ? should beauty have another rabbit with her now , bearing in mine shes over a year old now and should fudge get a friend ?. my chilren love there pets so much and hate to think of they being sad now they are apart.

please help

• BUNNYMAN
        Participant
        22 posts Send Private Message

Its not a good idea having two species,is your bunny done if not it does need doing and at this time of year all bunnies go a bit bonkers

• Lion_Lop_Lover
          Participant
          971 posts Send Private Message

Yes, guinea pigs and rabbits should not be kept together. Their nutritional needs are so very different, and a rabbit can easily kill a guinea pig with a kick.
            You should keep them separated. You can likely get another guinea pig of the same sex to keep your GP company, as they are social, but I have a lone female GP who is doing well on her own.

As for the rabbit, is she spayed? I would really get her spayed if her behaviour is becoming like that.

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

Also rabbits carry bordatella and if they bite the piggy the piggy can contract them – please separate them as soon as possible.

I would suggest you get your rabbit (if they are spayed or neutered another spayed or neutered rabbit for a friend). The piggy will need a piggy friend (altered male if it’s a female) – not sure of the sex of your piggy though. Most vets will not spay the female piggies but the males can be neutered.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

LOL here’s my input, get one more piggie and one more bunny!

I think thats the answer to any problem-get more furry friends! LOL

But seriously, it was convention to keep piggies and bunnies together, and lots of people still do it. But as you can see now, it doesn’t always work out as they speak different languages and can have miscommunications like what’s happened here, (probably your bunny wanted the piggie to submit and he didn’t know how, so he has to be humped). So the best thing to do, would be to keep them seperate and try to find them each new friends as they will be happier with a friend. Your bunny being one year old sooo does not mean he can’t have a new friend. Good luck and Keep us posted!!

• Gravehearted
                Participant
                2428 posts Send Private Message

hi melandtony – welcome to binky bunny!

actually I agree with most of what Sarita and Kokaneeandkahlua recommended. Separate your piggy and bunny, since it is not good for them to be living together. Their nutritional needs are different and piggie poop can be toxic to buns. Please get your bunny spaye, she will live a longer happier life. After spaying I would recommend getting both the piggie and bunny a friend of the same species since they’re both such social creatures.

there are many rescued piggies and bunnies looking for forever homes – http://www.petfinder.org is a great place to start looking.

• BUNNYMAN
                  Participant
                  22 posts Send Private Message

Can i just add an unspayed doe has an 80% chance of contracting uterine cancer at the age of 6.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR help needed for randy bunny