Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Help Needed for My Bunnie and new friend bonding

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • AlicePalace
      Participant
      60 posts Send Private Message

I Brought Two Baby Lionheads about 3 weeks ago, a male – Pippin & Female – Merry.
        Unfortunatly Pippin was put to sleep  On Saturday due to illness. Now Merrys on her own and i really notice a difference in her behavior she Looks very lonley and when she lies down she makes sure theres enough room for Pip In case he comes back and she keeps trying to sleep on my bed with me so she gets cuddles.
        So ive decided i need to get merry a new friend, The place i got merry from have no more rabbits left, so i have to get a Rabbit she will not know. Im very nervous because ive always brought bonded pairs together and never bonded them myself. I found a nice family selling some baby lionheads, And there ready for re-homing in 2 weeks, making merry 10 weeks. Im taking her with me to see the new bunnies. im going to be looking at there males as thats the combination ive always had and i think she will be more comfortable. Any Tips for What im doing? how to make the bonding process less stressfull? and how do i introduce them to each other? and do you think merry will not like them because there not pippin?
        Any help will be very much appreciated! Thanks

• Monkeybun
        Participant
        10479 posts Send Private Message

My advice…. wait until Merry is older and spayed before getting another bunny to bond to her. Bonded babies don’t always stay bonded after hormones appear. And definitely wait just for the fact that females are hard to bond together to begin with, and if you get a male, you risk babies as soon as they mature.

• Elrohwen
          Participant
          7318 posts Send Private Message

Honestly, I would get an already neutered rabbit from a shelter, so you can bunny date. If you get a baby, you’ll have to wait until that baby is grown up enough to be altered, and even then there is no guarantee that they will ever get along. All baby bunnies love other rabbits, so it’s impossible to tell how they will feel a few months down the line after hormones kick in and they are spayed/neutered.

And since your girl is old enough to get pregnant, she shouldn’t be meeting with any male bunnies, no matter how young, until she is spayed. It’s really not safe, as a pregnancy at her age could be fatal.

If you get another baby, both bunnies will need to be separated until at least 4 weeks (if not 6) after they are *both* fixed, which will be months away.

• Minty
            Participant
            338 posts Send Private Message

I agree with what everyone else is saying. The new bunny and Merry will have to be seperated until they are both altered anyways, so any bonding before then won’t really be possible. If you do end up bringing in an unaltered male, be extremely cautious with out of cage time, since bunnies can breed even through cage/pen bars.

What happened to Pippin if you don’t mind me asking? I hope Merry is doing okay and I’m sure with lots of attention from you she will do just fine.

• AlicePalace
              Participant
              60 posts Send Private Message

Pippin, Had a intestinal problem, i took him to the vet as soon as i heard him grinding his teeth, he was hospitilised that day ( Thursday ) But He was too young to pull through and i had him put to sleep on the saturday

• Elrohwen
                Participant
                7318 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry for the loss of Pippin. I would just put all of your time towards Merry right now – really get to know her and bond with her yourself, then get her spayed, and then look for an already neutered companion for her.

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

I agree with what’s been said. Spend time with Merry yourself so you can work on developing a strong bond with her. She won’t be lonely as long as she has you. It’s natural for them to be separated from their siblings at this point. Wait until after she’s been spayed and then you can look into rescues to see if they have bunnies you can adopt that are already altered.

Did you have Pippins and Merry in two separate cages?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Help Needed for My Bunnie and new friend bonding