Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP!!! My Rabbit don’t love to eat hay ????

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Yan Lee
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Dear all,

I got my rabbit nearly 3 month and I get she over 3 months years old. In past, she really love to eat hay more then the pallets (I gave her the milk favour pallets which suitable for 3 – 6 months rabbit). I used to mix up her die everday like this way: aflafa hay + a little milk pallets + a spoon of oat and she eat normal before. But now, she only love to eat pallets and oat, don’t love to eat hay anymore.

I’ve try another kind of hay, it is timothy hay but she still don’t interesing on it.

I don’t know how to let her eat hay again like before, I really worried if she just eat pallets and don’t eat hay. I saw her pees in milk light yellow and that signal she more caciclum in her sytem.

Can anybody help me this please….

Many thanks.

• sarahthegemini
        Participant
        5584 posts Send Private Message

What are milk pellets? I’ve never heard of those?

Have you tried different “flavours” of hay? My bunnies weren’t particularly interested in Timothy, Orchard, Meadow or wheat but they LOVE oat grass.

Bunny pee can vary a lot in colour so I wouldn’t worry about it being a light yellow. I believe that’s normal, but could someone confirm?

• Azerane
          4688 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know what milk pellets are, but I don’t think they sound very good for a rabbit. I would switch to a grass hay based pellet (make sure you transition slowly). How many pellets are you feeding in a day? If you are feeding too many, she may simply be choosing to eat the pellets instead of the hay, limit her pellets to 1/4 cup for the whole day and she should start eating hay. If she’s over 6 months old she doesn’t need alfalfa hay anymore.

• Yan Lee
            Participant

This is what I mention about the pallets.

• Yan Lee
              Participant

Hi there,

Here is the milk pallets

• Bam
                16838 posts Send Private Message

Hi Yan Lee, there’s no picture attached to your post. I’ve you’re having trouble uploading pictures, you can upload to an external source like imgur or Flickr, then paste the link to the picture here.

Many rabbits are picky about hay. She doesn’t need alfalfa hay anymore, that’s for babies, so it’s good you’ve been trying timothy instead. If you have access to other types of hay, you can try any other grass hay. My bunny prefers oat hay.

She’s probably filling up on pellets, so you could try and give her a little bit less pellets like Azerane says. 1/4 cup is 4 tablespoons, or if you measure in deciliters, a tiny bit more than 1/2 deciliter. You can give half of that in the morning and half in the evening. Maybe that will make her eat the hay.

• Azerane
                  4688 posts Send Private Message

I managed to fix the image, I’ve never seen pellets for weaned rabbits that have milk in them though. I would definitely switch to something else.

• Bam

I agree with Azerane, I’d try to find some pellets for adult rabbits, preferably based on timothy hay. I see that Dr Bunny Profood has adult pellets as well. They seem to be reasonably well-balanced nutrition-wise, even if they are based on alfalfa. The calcium to phosphorus-ratio seems good to me. https://www.tokopedia.com/mybunbunshop/dr313-dr-bunny-profood-senior-rabbit-food-25kg

You could perhaps switch over to that brand, only you won’t need a 25 kg bag of course, so I hope it’s available in smaller size packages.

• Yan Lee
                      Participant

Posted By Azerane on 1/31/2017 3:06 AM
                        I managed to fix the image, I’ve never seen pellets for weaned rabbits that have milk in them though. I would definitely switch to something else.

Thanks for fixing my picture.

• Yan Lee
                        Participant

Posted By bam on 1/31/2017 3:38 AM
                          I agree with Azerane, I’d try to find some pellets for adult rabbits, preferably based on timothy hay. I see that Dr Bunny Profood has adult pellets as well. They seem to be reasonably well-balanced nutrition-wise, even if they are based on alfalfa. The calcium to phosphorus-ratio seems good to me. https://www.tokopedia.com/mybunbunshop/dr313-dr-bunny-profood-senior-rabbit-food-25kg

You could perhaps switch over to that brand, only you won’t need a 25 kg bag of course, so I hope it’s available in smaller size packages.

Thanks for your help. I’m trying to feed her by timothy hay but seem isn’t work, i dont know why. I’m in Vietnam, so in here I just can buy the hay in pet store and don’t have many choices. i haven’t seen the oat hay too .

• Bam

Timothy hay isn’t as yummy as alfalfa, so it’s difficult for most bunny owners to start their rabbit on grass hay. Keep on trtying though. If there are other brands of timothy hay available, maybe she’ll like that. Hay is very variable. The quality depends on many things, f ex at what time of year the hay was harvested. Some rabbits like coarse hay and other bunnies like softer hay. Keep trying, in any case. Some buns will eat more hay if you put some in the litter box so the bunny can poop and eat at the same time.

Also refresh the hay often. They tend to ignore “old” hay, so don’t give her a whole heap of hay at any one time, rather top it up morning and evening with “new” hay.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP!!! My Rabbit don’t love to eat hay ????