Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP! My Bettie is a Bert!?!?!?

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
    • Spacehopper
      Participant
      540 posts Send Private Message

So there we are at the Vet’s and the boyfriend asks if they’ll just make sure Bettie is a little girl (I’m gagging him from now on!).  Turns out my little weeny bean is a boy – I said she was a toyboy .  I had a look and yes, out it popped, although I didn’t see the 2 testicles the vet was pointing out.  Looking on the net yesterday I’m still not convinced as male and female are SO similar!!!!  We felt angry after hearing that as we only got another bun to keep the Bum company and hear it’s much harder to bond 2 males.  The pet shop were certain we were buying a girl!! 

We haven’t renamed Bean as we automatically keep calling HER Bettie, and Leland doesn’t seem suitable under the circumstances, but it’s slowly evolving into Bertie.  But she’s still ‘my little girl’ .

Bean came out yesterday and ran straight into ours/Brian’s bedroom, I went looking for Bean after having not appeared for 10 minutes and that’s where I found the Bean.  Brian didnt seem to mind too much though and dived about after Bean several times, and would appear from behind the cushions looking for Bean when sHE raced from under the bed.  I kept watch and Bean kept charging under the bed racing round behind the box, past the Bumstar (after stopping for a nose to nose) binkying, then squeezing past me as I lay in the doorway, up and over my back and back under the bed and on it went.  At one point Brian plonked down in his spot completely ignoring the Bean’s mad antics.

Do you think this pairing is off to a good start?  Or is bonding between boys NEVER this easy, and is hell about to erupt???  Help!!!  (not even entertaining the idea of rehoming the Bean even amidst the boyfriend’s threats of rabbit pie!!!)

• ubergoober
        Participant
        71 posts Send Private Message

Oh dear! lol I wonder how many of us are running to check and recheck their bunn’s “stuff”. I just took it as word that Miffy was female and never did check nor did I ask the vet to check! EEK!

I have never tried bonding yet so I have no advice only an EEK in response to the boo boo in sexing the bunn! lol

• BunMumTiff
          Participant
          241 posts Send Private Message

now I am wondering if my bun is a girl and my othr a boy hmmmmmmm

• MooBunnay
            Participant
            3087 posts Send Private Message

Hi! Pairing two boys is definitely do-able, I’ve seen several boy-boy pairs, and if they are both neutered and have less hormones it should make it even more feasible. I think you should just try to keep them hagingin out together as much as possible, and watching how they interact. I think the toughest part will be when Bertie goes through puberty, and thats when he will have his ‘terrible twos” and also will be when the bunnies will fight IF they are going to. Its definitely an advantage that the Bertie/Bettie is young, I think if you start trying to work with them together right now, it will help a lot!

• Spacehopper
              Participant

Ta. Well last night Bert went straight into Brian. After racing round under the bed like a mad thing, Brian decided to take matters into his own hands, he got behind Bert & humped away (Bert was most nonchalent with this), Bert raced about, with Brian in tow. They stopped in front of me as I sat keeping watch, they sniffed, then Brian started humping again…Berts head this time. I took Bum away, and picked up Bert to pop him back in his cage, & my arm was covered in a nice wet splodge! Oh the joys of perseverance!!

• ubergoober
                Participant
                71 posts Send Private Message

lol Gross!

• MooBunnay
                  Participant

Hahahaha o dear. Brian is fixed, right? At least Bertie did not object too much! Maybe you should ask the Bumstar if he really thinks its aproriate to hump a bun that young

• Spacehopper
                    Participant

Brian is indeed fixed, a few weeks back.  Sent me grey that did, I can tell you.  No sleep for days, and when I did sleep I slept under the bed with the Bum.  Why???  Well we had a REALLY hot Friday a little while ago, I get a call from the vet to say all went well and Bum was up and eating and having a cuddle.  About an hour before I was due to leave work and pick him up they phone again, to say they were very concerned and were keeping him in as his temperature had shot up and he was panting excessively.  They had a fan on him and were monitoring him.  I couldn’t believe it…my Bri!!!  I told them that he got very hot last summer and the best thing they could do was to put bottles of frozen water in with him (seeing the amount they were charging the least they could do was find frozen/chilled something..anything!).  The next hour was awful, the boyfriend was livid!!  Decided we weren’t going to WAIT for them to ring, so we went straight to the vet’s.  They hadn’t listened to my advice and it was quite obvious their "fan to cool him down" was as good as useless.  My god, I was horrified when I saw him.  They said it would be better if we took him home as he MAY feel more comfortable, relaxed in his own home, but gave us the emergency number "just in case".   He seemed to be aware of us being there and his panting seemed to slow down somewhat, but when we got him home..his eyes bulged, he wasn’t aware of anything around him…I seriously thought I’d lost him. 

He managed to move himself after an hour!..I spent the next 3 hours keeping watch, only turning my back once to get the only thing that was suitable & cold enough to lay against him – a bottle of wine!!  I wrapped up icecubes and stroked them from his nose, his ears and all over his back. and stuffed the freezer full of wet cloths, bottles of water.  The only food I could tempt him with was grapes, of which he sloppily and thoroughly enjoyed.  Thankfully he slowly made a recovery, but it was well over a week before I felt safe enough to sleep properly, without worrying he couldn’t get any water, etc etc..And I knew he was FINALLY ok when he leapt up onto the cushions for a cuddle.  And the vet was suitably impressed as he hadn’t bitten out a single stitch.  My boy!!  lol   

And now, a little while on……he’s even more precious than before, and even more demanding of a night for his nose/head rubs, and the last week he’s been chattering away as he’s stroked, which i can only liken the sound to someone with gummy false teeth. 

Things will definitely NOT be this easy with baby Bean!!!!!!!  lolol 

• MooBunnay
                      Participant

I’m so glad that the Bum is OK after his vet ordeal! He must have looked so ritzy laying next to a bottle of wine, hahaha. I found that my Raymond was much more affectionate after his vet ordeal as well, I think they appreciate when their humans take care of them! I think things will be OK with baby Bean though, especially since you have him/her so young, she/he will be very social and people friendly. My buns from the rescue I am still working on their social skills, since they were so skittish when I got them, and no one treated them right when they were younger.

• BinkyBunny
                        8776 posts Send Private Message

Well, it’s not uncommon for pet stores to incorrectly sex them (or they were given the misinformation by the breeder they got them from.)   When sHE is more mature, if he really is a he, his testicles should drop and then it will be very obvious. (though they can pull them back up – tricky little…)   But both males and females "pop" out, but what pops out makes the difference. Males pop more of a tubish round shape, while females pop out a more pointy triangle. It is very hard to tell though because both can look so similar.  Here are some pictures of baby wee wee’s and adult hoo hoos.  (right, yep..,those are technical terms)

I’m so sorry to hear about the heat scare at the vets. I too would be livid!! Sounds like you did a wonderful job getting him cooled off. Don’t they have AC at the vets office?! Or does it normally not usually get warm enough for it? Just curious.

Regarding IF Bertie is a male. It is not impossible as long as one accepts being the passive one. So far, Bertie seems to be okay with it Of course that can change when his hormones kick in, but so far, it seems as if their bonding is tragic. It might help for you pet Bertie while he’s being humped so he can maybe get used the passive role. And what is even better is that Bum is humping not fighting. That means he is willing to be friends as long as this Bertie understands the "rules". Rule number one – Bum is top bun. (so far) If Bum wasn’t into Bertie at all, and just wanted him dead, he would attack. The attack can still happen, but it looks like you are doing a good job watching and stopping when necessary. I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you.

• Spacehopper
                          Participant

I’m still not 100% convinced at the vet’s diagnostics as the baby bean’s pop-up bit was exactly between a wee wee & a hoo hoo

I moved the Bean’s cage into our bedroom Saturday and let Bean out every so often.  Last night Bean made it impossible for anyone to get any sleep. desperate to get out as though a life depended on it.  This morning, we opened the cage so Bean could have a run before work, HOW excited sHe was to be free and with her compadre..jumped straight into Brian’s cage (sHE follows him round wherever he goes, poor Brian even gets a little shadow when he pops into his litter box).  Brian was most unconcerned with the invasion, so I went into the living room to get ready for work.  All was quiet, TOO quiet, so we went to check, and there they were lying side by side under the bed!

The terrible two…

1618551493871.jpg
                            161855153254.jpg

• BinkyBunny

Wow, that’s wonderful. Sounds like things are really blossoming. And what cute PICS!!

• cookie627
                              Participant
                              387 posts Send Private Message

Holly cow!!!!!!!!!!!! they both are SO cute!!!!!

• Spacehopper
                                Participant

Hmmm, I’m not so sure about Baby Bean being cute. Brian seems to be quite happy letting Bean hump his head and use Brian’s cage as his own. After hoiking Bean out several times this morning, and removing said Bean from the Bumstar’s head this morning, I then found them under the bed together sprawled out (I guess Brian is perfectly fine with Bean being the boss for a while). I did get under the bed with them last night just to ensure they were ok together. Bean raced around binkying like mad with Brian looking on unamused, Bean kept nudging underneath Brian then flopping down (I’ll put pics on at some point), but as soon as Brian moved Bean followed. A couple of times Brian decided enough was enough and it was time for a lie down in peace, but Bean appeared at Bum’s side and flaked out next to him. Needless to say Bri moved elsewhere!

• Spacehopper
                                  Participant

How have other’s found bonding 2 males? What concerns me is Brian’s willingness to have this little Beany thing humping his head. After all, Brian has been “head of the household” for god knows how long, and knows his territorial boundaries, but now he’s got this little pain in the arrus leaping over everything of his. If he really objected he would let it be known….wouldn’t he?

• BinkyBunny

It sounds like Brian is mellow about the whole thing. (But be sure to stop the head humping, as rabbits can bite the other’s privates,and you may not find out until an abscess has formed there) The real test will happen when Bertie has reached full sexual maturity. His/her scent may change a bit more, and he may cross the line with Brian, so you need to keep a watchful eye. But for now, seems as if Brian could care less about the whole hierarchy issue. He’s either passive with Bertie, or he just doesn’t care about all the hierarchy rules.   Time will tell, but this is going really well so far!

• MooBunnay
                                      Participant

I agree with Binkybunny – it sounds like things are going really well so far. I think the fact that they are being introduced when Bean is so young is probably really helping. Once Bean has reached “maturity” you might have to work with them a bit more – and I’d recommend not keeping them together un-supervised just until you are really comfortable with them being around each other. They are such a pretty pair – who needs a girl?

• R n' K
                                        Participant
                                        4 posts Send Private Message

I know just how you feel, with alittle reversal! Unfortunatly our “boys” had bonded before double checking and getting “him” altered. At “his” spade the poor “man” had to get a bunny abortion! How can no one tell!?!?! Not even me! And here we just though we had gay bunnies! Now I certainly understand why all my bunnies with no amount of trying have gotten along! Good luck with getting yours two. Some of the tricks on here worked for our two girls but they still prefer their own rooms that is seperated by the much hated and dreaded hard wood/tile floors! Heed this as a warning people, don’t let them bond even if they apear to get along great till after the spade/neuter!

• Spacehopper
                                          Participant

My mood today is RAAR!!  After a day decorating yesterday and tidying the place, putting on the NEW bedding etc, my two boys getting on so well is somewhat again RAAR!!!  Weeny Bean & Brian are now "The Terrible Two".  Where one goes, the other is not far behind.  Which in itself is adorable, but NOT when Brian is litter trained and Bean isn’t…YES THE NEW BEDDING!  The boyfriend called me into the bedroom 2 nights ago…and there was Bum spread out asleep on my side of the bed, with Bean leaping about.  When I get to bed myself (thinking all was well and Bean was safely caged), a awake to a wet poop in my hair, which had been cleverly concealed a few hours earlier and gone undetected by the boyfriend on his dozing off.  Hence all bedding changed, HOW the Bean got on the bed, i’ve no idea as i’d blocked it all off  but thoroughly enjoying something on tv, a grumpybugger appeared at the door ranting about how Bean had peed on the bed.  (The night before, he said Bean had PURPOSELY jumped up and knocked over his water, this pleased me no end until i discovered it was on MY pillow)  ROAR!!!  but how can you be mad when this is what normally confronts you……?….. 

1626194190971.jpg
                                            1626194214354.jpg
                                            1626194220658.jpg
                                            1626194230031.jpg
                                            1626314782571.jpg

• Gravehearted
                                            Participant
                                            2428 posts Send Private Message

ooo boy they sound like a handful! what cuties though 😉

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                              Participant
                                              2517 posts Send Private Message

Bean’s little mane is so cute!! Good luck with him! I got lucky with my bun… when there is another bun around him (or my guinea pig, which is in love with him), he tolerates them very well. The guinea pig follows him everywhere and the bun just doesn’t care.

1626355357771.JPG

• MooBunnay
                                                Participant

Spacehopper – I must say, I know that I was supposed to be very concerned about the boys “antics” and feel great sympathy for you, except you are just too funny when you write your posts I always end up spitting out whatever I’m drinking laughing about the Beanage and the Bumstar! Really though, I think its ideal that you have one litter trained bunny because he can help Bertie understand whats going on. Hopefully the “terrrible twos” will not be long lasting and soon your newbie will adopt Brian’s good habits!

Those pictures are sooo cute of the dynamic duo! (the bun piggie pair are also adorable!)

• BinkyBunny

Ah Spacehopper….Holy Poop Pillows! That’s awful….but funny.

digxmexnow – CUTE pics!!

• cookie627
                                                    Participant

digxmexnow i agree with binkybunny that is SO cute!!!!!!!!!

• Spacehopper
                                                      Participant

Guinea Pig’s are SOOOO lovely.  I read so many things that say not to pair a rabbit & and a piggy, and yet when I was younger it was thought to be an ideal pairing.  (we had a winnypig called Lizzie, & from what i remember she used to poop in an upturned milkcrate).  Is your piggy litter trained?  (no don’t tell me, as I’ll end up having to go and get another friend for the Bum!! )  I had a mouse who used to live in with my rats, QUITE happy they all were.  Was quite a sight when Egg and William (little boy mouse) had babies.  The rats took on mothering these things that looked like "cockles" and they’d all curl up together.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                                        Participant
                                                        2517 posts Send Private Message

My piggie isn’t litterbox trained, but when he’s in my rabbits cage, he only seems to pee in the bun’s box. Who knows.

• cookie627
                                                          Participant

how very strange. peeing in someone else’s litterbox!!!!! lol

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A HELP! My Bettie is a Bert!?!?!?