Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Help may have liver disease!!!!!

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • skunklionshow
      Participant
      1257 posts Send Private Message

Leo had his teeth done yesterday.  His molars were "excessively pointy" so they filed them down really good.  They also cleaned his "beard" off for me while he was out.  He had critical care all yucked up in his beard.  My vet did pre-surgical blood work and found that his liver is a bit out of whack!

I’m at work and not looking at the paperwork specifically, but he had high Phosphate and Glucosomine counts.  The vet stated that he is very concerned that Leo might have serious liver issues.  He goes back in on Saturday to have new bloodwork completed and then we can discuss our options.

I’m terrified!  I love my Leo so much!  I will be so upset if I need to consider putting him down or something.  I’ve been trying to provide the best care for him, and well….I’ll be so angry if after we get his mouth back on track he may die!  I know that I shouldn’t jump to conclusions, I’m just trying to prepare myself for whatever happens.  How will Jessi, his "bunny girlfriend" deal w/ his potential loss?  How can I get through the next few days w/o freaking myself out?  Did I do something wrong w/ his care to put him in this situation?

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

I don’t think that you could have done anything different with little Leo – it sounds like he may have just been born a bunny with a few more problems than others. I think its fantastic how well you’ve been taking care of him, and your willingness to make sure he gets proper care. I’m sooo sorry to hear he is having liver problems. I’ve heard so much about Leo that I feel like he is part of my bunny family

To get through the next few days, just make sure to spend as much time with Jessi and Leo as possible, I’m sure that will help him feel better, and maybe now that his teeth are feeling better, he will eat better, which will help him get healthier! Do remember that you’ve done absolutely everything you can to be a great mom, and sometimes bunnies just have rough starts in life that can make things tough for them down the road. Where did Leo come from again?

I think Jessi will be OK because she has you, and I am sending many healing vibes Leo’s way, and hope that he will be just fine!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

****BIG HUG***

I’m sorry this must be sooo scary!! I think you are doing fine, and worrying is definitely normal…I think you are doing well in that you aren’t deluding yourself into thinking it will be perfectly fine, but also not definitely expecting the worst….

Your vet can discuss everything with you once they know for sure what is going on, and even then you can seek a second and third opinion. If it gives you any hope, after many misdiagnosis, my dog was finally diagnosed with a large inoperable brain tumor last year… She went for radiation and she is doing AWESOME!! You just never know so don’t give up hope!!

I am sure it isn’t anything you did -> My understanding is that Rabbits have bad livers and easily get liver diease..it may be very treatable (I don’t know though)  Keep us posted and we will all have our fingers crossed for you

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

I am so sorry to hear about this.  I find that the one thing I can "do" is read up on it as much as I can. Maybe this will help you as well?

Do you know if it was caused by coccidiosis? If so, it can be treated.  Here is a read on it:

http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/rabbitdiseases.html

The weight loss can be a symptom.  Abnormal values in SGOT, SGPT, Total Bilirubin & Alkaline Phosphatase indicate liver problems. An enlarged liver will show on an x-ray. The reference I have (Rabbit Health 101 medical review by Noella Allan, DVM) suggests a milk thistle/dandelion tincture (health food store) and Lactulose (vet presribed) treatment.

Without knowing the real cause or the degree of damage, it’s hard to say and the future may be very bright for Leo.  Don’t lose hope, relax and take one thing at a time, one day at a time.  You’ll all be just fine, his girlfriend, should the "worst" happen will be fine too and will need your support. Definately don’t beat yourself up thinking that you did something wrong. It may have happened before you even got him.

Please let us know how it goes and feel free to express any angst here to vent it all out if you need to.  We’re here for ya!

• BinkyBunny
              8776 posts Send Private Message

I bet he feels so much better to have those “spurs” shaved off. Rucy has to do that about three times a year.

Has he had blood tests before? Anything to compare to? The only reason I ask is because I have heard that rabbits can a variety of “baselines” some are normally higher than others. And so it’s good to know the “normal” baseline.

And actually, tomorrow Bailey’s vet will be calling to give me her blood results as well regarding her liver. I have to get it checked every two months since she’s on meds for her e.cuniculi, and the meds can cause liver and kidney problems. So I will actually ask her about the general “baseline” information that I have read about.

I know that some litters can cause liver problems, what kind of litter do you use again? AND again this is soooo NOT to place blame. Just to understand.

I am sorry about what you are going through. You sure don’t deserve all this worry. Why is it that sweet caring people are not immuned to problems. They should be!

I am sending peace calm vibes your way, and I’m sending healthy healing vibes Leo’s way.

• Sarita
                Participant
                18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree with BinkyBunny about the blood test baselines. I’ve had quite a few rabbits who were on pine shavings and tested high for liver problems and even after being off the litter for 2 months they still had high liver enzymes – we did decide to go ahead and neuter these 2 with no problems either.

Even those that don’t fall within normal range my vet will sometimes say it is okay depending on the situation with the rabbit of course.

I’m glad Leo got his molar spurs taken care of too – I had a bunny with terrible molar spur problems too and it worried me to death, I hated that his mouth hurt.

Keep us updated on what Leo’s vet says too. I know these types of situations are so stressful for us bunny parents.

• skunklionshow
                  Participant

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement.  It sounds stupid…b/c we all love our pet…but I REALLY love Leo!  He’s such a great bunny and after having had Jessi, who doesn’t like me in the slightest, unless I have a craisin, I would so miss him.

I believe that he had bloodwork done, when he first went to the vet in early summer.  They have carefresh as their litter.  I will continue to read up on liver levels, thanks for the VCA link.

When I went to mix up his critical care last night, I opened the sealed bag and found grain moths inside!  I was so grossed out!  So I had to give him a slurry of applesauce & ensure and some liquidfied pumpkin mush.  He ate it like a good boy!  He was eating his pellets this morning, so I think that’s a good sign.  I don’t know if he ate any veggies b/c Jessi got a little miffed and threw the veggie bowl across the cage.  We have been giving him extra craisins….which Jessi does not appreciate.

I’ll keep everyone posted and again thanks for the well bunny wishes and info!

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

Yikes, how did the moths get into a sealed bag?  At the factory I guess.  You should be able to return it and get another one.  Those things are really gross I know, I got a bag of flour once that was infested with those things.  I didn’t even return it, I just got rid of it ASAP.

Sending healing thoughts to poor little Leo.  {{{{Leo}}}}

• Scarlet_Rose
                      Participant

Oh glad to hear Leo is eating at least something.  Is he pooing alright? I’m sending healing vibes Leo’s way and hope the best for the little guy!  You’re so welcome for the info!

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant

What were the results of the bloodwork yesterday?

• Gravehearted
                          Participant
                          2428 posts Send Private Message

how’s Leo? did you have any news on the bloodwork yet?
                            I’m sending lots of thoughts Leo’s way.

• skunklionshow
                            Participant

Things went VERY well at the vet on Saturday!  My Leo is only 1 oz away from his good weight….4 lbs!  Here’s the deal w/ the liver tests.  The hubby picked Leo up from the vet post teeth on Weds night, as I was stuck w/ a migraine.  According to the hubby, it was stated that the liver tests were a huge concern and that we need to rerun the tests on Saturday.  Well after seeing th vet on Saturday, he stated that he really wasn’t that concerned about his liver levels.  He felt confident that the elevation was due to his lack of eating and likely brought on by his weight fluctuations.  He stated that many rabbits have very broad spectrums on liver tests and frequently read higher than is actually a concern…hope that made sense, I think Binky & Scarlet basically said that previously.

He said that he’s happy if Leo continues to put on more weight and maintain the gains he’s made.  He suggested that we continue to suppliment his regular diet w/ baby food or bunny smoothies….I made up the bunny smoothies (fresh fruit i.e. bananas blended w/ strawberry ensure, slight critical care and glucosomine supplement).  He won’t eat the baby food or smoothie out of a syringe, just on a spoon like a real baby.  I’ve found this to be his "force feeding" method of choice.

They replaced our critical care and were shocked by the moth situation.  We threw the critical care in the outside trash after finding the moths and spider like webs in the package.  We had to bring it in to them, so they could see..GROSS!

Leo ate his veggies last night w/ Jessi.  He hasn’t been eating the hay very much, but has been eating the willow wreath.  I’m just so glad my baby is ok!

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

Yay!!! I’m so excited to hear how well things went Its so cute that Leo likes a spoon! And I’m glad your vet replaced your critical care! (OK enough smileys and exclamation points – I know one more –

Anyways, I did want to also let you know that many many bunnies become very affectionate and more friendly when they have gone through a sickness and need the medication and force feeding, which may be why you find that Leo is more affectionate than Jessi. There is a bunny at the NTRS where I work now that I hear used to be very antisocial, but then get very sick and required meds and fore feedings and is now the sweetest bunny I think I’ve ever met, and loooooooves people and pets and everything. I think that those kinds of situations probably help the bunny loose some of that instinctual fear they have, and I think that bunnies are very smart and are grateful for how much you have helped them.

Yay again for Leo ! (couldn’t help myself, just one more smiley and exclamation point…)

• osprey
                                Participant
                                2065 posts Send Private Message

Wow, that is great news for Leo!  Hopefully the good trend with his weight will continue.

• Scarlet_Rose
                                  Participant

What wonderful news! I am so happy for you and Leo!  Some bunnies you just have to trial and error the "force" feeding.  Too cute with a spoon, I bet that is so sweet to watch! Anyway, please keep us updated and I hope his road to hitting his ideal weight and eating on his own continues!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Help may have liver disease!!!!!