Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Help! I’ve been peed on!

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    • Erbear
      Participant
      155 posts Send Private Message

My opinionated rabbit, Radar, just let me know that she didn’t like getting her nails trimmed.  She peed on me. 

Since she has some dark nails and some light nails, it takes a while to trim her nails.  I’m easing her into it and just tried the bunny burrito trick that I found on this site.  Apparently she doesn’t like that… and she let a little bit go.  I know it was premeditated because it was just enough to make me stop trimming her nails.  I held fast and finished the session, gave her a treat and cleaned up but…. HELP!!!!!!!

Any ideas to help me trim her nails easier next time?  She’s one that hates being picked up (like many I have gathered)  and when I do get to pick her up I make sure to give her a treat when I have her in my lap.  She’s starting to get used to being picked up now and then.  But any help would be appreciated. 

By the way… it’s okay to laugh…. my boyfriend sure did.  And Radar is no worse for the wear, she is playing in her tunnel.

114472564971.jpg

• Veronica Vigilant
        Participant
        186 posts Send Private Message

Well- I don’t really have any advice to give you- but as an alternative… I have one bun who hates to be picked up so much that it’s actually less stressful for both me and her to take her to the vet and have them do it instead (My second bun I do myself)! It’s relatively cheap and actually seems less traumatic to both of us- there was a thread on here a little while back that covered the pros and cons of vet nail trimmings (it helped convince me that I wasn’t a horrible rabbit owner for not doing it myself- but also had good info on at home nail trimmings) Maybe someone else can link to it if they know what I’m talking about?! I’m still figuring my way around the site! … otherwise hopefully someone else will have some good advice for you!

• Erbear
          Participant

I’m thinking that might be a good option for her…….. and me.  She actually seems to like riding in the car, nose up against the carrier bars staring out the windshield. 

The only thing that I want is to be able to be comfortable with trimming them if I hear one of her nails catching on the carpet.  (That’s what started this adventure)  Sort of an emergency type deal….

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Hmm, usually pee is territorial marking. It could be she was frightened as well. Try practicing picking her up just for very short intervals while sitting on the floor every day to get her used it and eventually she should at the very least tolerate it and not pee on you or what I am thinking would be better are simple bonding sessions since it seems like she doesn’t quite fully trust humans.  Spend time on the floor with her while you read, do Sudoku puzzles etc. and offer a treat for her curiosity and eventually a pet on the head. I think she will warm up more to the idea of being picked up and trust you.

• Cadbury
              Participant
              161 posts Send Private Message

Cadbury acts up more over the process of picking up and holding her for nail clipping than she does for the actual clipping itself. I’ve gotten her desensitized to having her paws/nails touched, so I usually will just clip her nails while she’s eating her veggies. I can’t do too many at once, so the process takes a few days (and the back ones are tricky!), but it’s much less stressful for both of us. She doesn’t struggle to get away, sometimes she’ll just take one hop to the side while continuing to eat her veggies and giving me dirty looks. It’s easier for me though, because she has all light nails so it’s easier to find the quick.

Good luck – I hope your next clipping is pee-free!

• babybunsmum
                Participant
                3896 posts Send Private Message

baby bun has always been a very feisty gal who becomes a wiggle monster when picked up & held.  the only way i can hold her when she doesn’t squirm is not conducive to nail trims and she’ll even squirm out of a bunny burrito unless all 4 paws are tucked in away from the clippers.  the only way i have been successful is by doing this on the bathroom counter.  i have to hold her by putting one hand on her chest & holding her back against me while letting her back thumpers rest on the counter.  the hand holding her chest helps to position each paw for the other hand holding the clippers.  its awkward but she doesn’t squirm up on the counter so it’s the only option i’ve discovered.  i think it’s because she’s scared being up there – likewhen she’s at the vet – and thats why she’s submissive, so i make sure to be swift and do it in 2 sessions if neccessary.

• charlie82
                  Participant
                  295 posts Send Private Message
                    Posted By babybunsmum on 01/06/2008 5:43 AM

baby bun has always been a very feisty gal who becomes a wiggle monster when picked up & held.  the only way i can hold her when she doesn’t squirm is not conducive to nail trims and she’ll even squirm out of a bunny burrito unless all 4 paws are tucked in away from the clippers.  the only way i have been successful is by doing this on the bathroom counter.  i have to hold her by putting one hand on her chest & holding her back against me while letting her back thumpers rest on the counter.  the hand holding her chest helps to position each paw for the other hand holding the clippers.  its awkward but she doesn’t squirm up on the counter so it’s the only option i’ve discovered.  i think it’s because she’s scared being up there – likewhen she’s at the vet – and thats why she’s submissive, so i make sure to be swift and do it in 2 sessions if neccessary.

Good advice……I also find it a whole lot easier to take the bunny to a room they aren’t used to. If I try and clip my house rabbits nails in their own environment they  tend to struggle. Take them elsewhere and the unfamiliar surroundings seems enough to keep them still and I can clip them while they sit on my lap.

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

I’ve found the same thing as Charlie – that they tend to be much less squirmy when they feel out of their zone. My guess is they’re spooked enough to  not risk wiggling around too much!

You might also try trancing her, since that really chills out most bunnies – especially if you have one person to hold her while another does the trimming.

http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm

• Erbear
                      Participant

I’ve noticed the same thing… if you take her out of her element she is less likely to fight me… more mellow.

I might try the sneaky clipping like Cadbury… but the trance sounds interesting too. I’ll try them both this week and see how everything works.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                        Participant
                        2517 posts Send Private Message

I think Frankie and Radar could be siblings!

• Ash
                          Participant
                          165 posts Send Private Message

Sorry, I’m no help on the pee situation but Ebear and Digmenow I just wanted to say BEAUTIFUL bun buns!! I just love the Harlequin colors, so pretty!!

• Erbear
                            Participant

The first picture I saw of your bun… well, I had to look at Radar to see if she had a twin.  Frankie is so cute!

• babybunsmum
                              Participant
                              3896 posts Send Private Message

wow radar & frankie really could be twins   how cute!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                Participant
                                4293 posts Send Private Message

Separated at birth! They are just too darn cute!

• Erbear
                                  Participant

I told Radar that she may have a twin…. she mildly disapproves of this thought. Or maybe it was just the fact that I talk to her majesty.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                                    Participant
                                    2517 posts Send Private Message

I must say… you have a damned good-looking bunny! ha

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Help! I’ve been peed on!