Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help *Freaked out* Mamma

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • OllieBunnysMamma
      Participant
      75 posts Send Private Message

OK I am a little freaked out here.

I have been sick on the couch since last Thursday. I have had my husband refilling food and water for Ollie. I didn’t want to go near him and expose him to my sickness. I am still sick actually. But I HAD to clean his NIC cage. His pee stunk for the first time ever. Anyway..

He came up to me out of the cage. I am rubbing his cheek.. and I always kinda check his teeth to make sure he isn’t overgrowing them or anythng. I kind of feel around with my hand. SO I am touching his mouth while scrathcing his cheek. And my hand is getting a sticky film on it. There was no sign of blood or anything crazy.. but I have been licked many of times and never got a sticky film on me. It was sticky enough to hold shedding fur. He is about 5 months old now. I don’t know if this is hormonal, or normal, or what. I just today purchased a neuter certificate from NJ house rabbit.org I don’t know what to do. Should I be scared?

I dd look at his bottom and top teeth. They seem fine. I could see his tongue behind his teeth. What does a sticky mouth mean? I could cry. I don’t want anything to be wrong with him. I feel like its my fault for not tending to him this past week myself.

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i wonder if it could have been from his glands under the chin. is the secretion sticky? does anyone know?

don’t blame yourself, my thought is that it’s not something that’s wrong. you might bring it up to your vet tho if it continues…

what is a neuter certificate? you pay the HRS and they give you a voucher or something? never heard of that.

• OllieBunnysMamma
          Participant

Oh gosh. False alarm. I went back in after the post I made here. I was all in his mouth. He is fine now. I think maybe he needed a drink of water. (Which he always has available to him) Maybe he just hadn’t taken a drink in a little bit? I don’t know. I will be watching closely anyway. He is really happy to be getting all this attention. He must have been getting lonely without me being with hm each day. I think the hello’s were not enough. He is used to a lot of physcal attention from me. I think he is ok now. It gets me really angry at all the bunny dumpers I see on craigslist everyday when I look at my Ollie and realize how much we love each other. I just don’t know how people turn ther back on their little buns. I can hear him playing with his ball in the kitchen as I type. 

As for the neuter certificate.. 

http://www.njhrs.com/spayneuter.htm

I would think every state should do this. I think it is great. I actually got a vet recommendation from a local rescue at some point. The vet she told me about is participating in this program . That makes me feel really good about the vet’s experience and level of commitment for the care of rabbits. 

• Kokaneeandkahlua
            Participant
            12067 posts Send Private Message

COOL!! I’ve never heard of a ‘neuter certificate’ that’s really neat!!

Glad it was a false alarm!

• Beka27
              Participant
              16016 posts Send Private Message

that certificate is awesome! i wish they had that in every state. it’d be worth it to even drive a bit further to get to a vet that participates! so it does not include pain meds, but do you know if it includes BOTH the surgery and anesthesia? my vet billed them each separately (125 for spay, 70 for anesthesia) so i’d maybe do a double-check on that. i assume it covers it b/c it didn’t say in the list of exclusions…

that would even make a kinda neat gift idea if you knew someone with an unaltered bunny, or maybe it’s just me…

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

I had considered getting the neuter certificate, but had issues planning on transporting the bunnies to the vets that accept the certificate.  This was when I was looking at getting all my therapy school bunnies fixed.  I ended up paying outright for fixin’s from my PA vet.  Let us know how it all goes.

• OllieBunnysMamma
                  Participant

I have an appointment October 6th at 10:30 am. Poor little man is losing his onions. He will surely cry.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                    Participant
                    12067 posts Send Private Message

Awww no, it’s a minor surgery and will be happier in the long run *HUGS*

• BinkyBunny
                      8776 posts Send Private Message

Some bunnies can be overexuberant “chinner” and they mark stuff so much that they their chin can get a bit “sticky” from the gland. Have you noticed that Ollie has been marking via his chin more often. He is becoming hormonal at this age, and so it wouldn’t be a surprise.

However, a wet mouth can also be a sign of teeth issues, so just keep an eye on it and have the vet check his teeth out next time you go in. (unless he exhibits this on a regular bases) There are teeth issues that can happen in the back molar section too and there is no way for you to be able to see this. Only a vet with a special scope can do this.

• OllieBunnysMamma
                        Participant

To be honest, I am not sure if he is mature? I know he was supposed to be about 9 weeks when I got him on June 30th. That should make him over 5 months now. I just don’t know how to tell if he is mature. I know he is completetly inlove with me. He chases me all around the kitchen and seems to want rubs and scratches way more then playing. We play sometimes, but he is a complete lovermush. I know that can be a sign of hormones, but he has been doing this forever. He isn’t spraying my cabinets in the kitchen (where I keep him gated most of the time) but he did drop a few little terds in there. He normally goes in the litter pan always.. but I figure because he hasn’t been out much with me being sick this past week that maybe he was just not wanting to go to his litter pan for poops.

I noticed the sticky mouth again. I am concerned about molars. I cannot wait until my vet appoointment. I made t for 1 day over week in ahead… and the neuter certificate said allow 1 week for delivery of the certificate. I am going to call today so I have it in time. I have to keep this appointment.

• BinkyBunny

I am not sure if I understood correctly about the vet appointment thing, (1 day over a week in ahead???) But I am very glad you decided to have Ollie get checked out to find out what’s really going on. keep us updated.

• OllieBunnysMamma
                            Participant

I am so sorry. I swear my 8 yr old didn’t write that, it really was me! (wtf?)

I have an appointment 1 week and 1 day. This is what I meant to say. October 6th! lol

There.

Also, I found out he is sexually mature when he humped and sprayed me later that day. How kind of him to make sure I knew.

I posted about this in the behaivor thread. FYI.

• BinkyBunny

OH! Looksl like he’s decided you are part of HIS herd now. LOL!

• kimberleyanddarren
                                Participant
                                2520 posts Send Private Message

hehe yes hormonal males are not always the best things, it sure increases your washing load thats for sure *rolls eyes*

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help *Freaked out* Mamma