Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Bunny ate hydrangea leaf.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Archiethebunny
      Participant
      6 posts Send Private Message

Hi everybody my bunny rabbit Archie escaped my site for 30 seconds and he ran up the stairs and found a plant that my mom accidentally left in a place that he could eat it and it happened to be a hydrangea plant by the time I caught up with him he had already eaten half of one of the leaves on the plant and I’m super nervous that he’s going to get really sick and maybe worse. I called the vet and they made me hold for two minutes and didn’t know if hydrangeas were poisonous or not to rabbits and told me to call a helpline, but I think that might be BS because the helpline is tolled and the vet probably gets some money for every person they send over there and the helpline would send me right back to the vet. I gave him a couple drops of baby gas medicine and lots of hay. It’s been about 12 minutes since he ate the plant and he’s acting energetic and normal but I’m still really nervous.

• LBJ10
        16870 posts Send Private Message

Hydrangeas contain a type of cyanogenic glycoside. This is a toxin that is produced by plants as a defense mechanism. It would make a dog or cat sick if they ate it. However, rabbits are a little bit different in that they can tolerate a higher level of toxins produced by plants because they are adapted to eat a variety of plants. Could a rabbit be poisoned by a hydrangea? Technically yes. But the amount they would have to consume would be a lot higher than that of a dog or cat. Since he ate half a leaf, he will probably be OK. You should, of course, monitor him. Encourage hay and water, which is the general routine. Honestly though, you would likely have seen ill effects by now if something was going to happen.

• Ellie from The Netherlands
          Participant
          2512 posts Send Private Message

LBJ makes a good point: rabbits have amazing tolerance. Our bun needed medication, and he had to get the same dosage as a dog 10 times his size!  😯

It looks like you did everything you could do. How is he doing now?

• Archiethebunny
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for the advice. You seem to be so far correct in saying that he will be just fine. I will continue to monitor him.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Help! Bunny ate hydrangea leaf.